Status: Complete.

The Meaning of Father Figure

“I will be your father figure
Put your tiny hand in mine
I will be your preacher teacher
Anything you have in mind
I will be your father figure
I have had enough of crime
I will be the one who loves you
'Till the end of time”

--George Michael, Father Figure

Michael Jackson’s friendship with Culkin, which began when he was only 9 years old, has been described as odd, unnatural and curious. But what they didn't know was that the friendship between the two was based on something very simple: an ability to relate and understand each other. They were both child stars, catapulted into the spotlight at a very young age. And they both discovered the pitfalls of being rich and famous.

“I was essentially a normal kid who happened to be an actor and the next thing I know, I’m just this thing, where people are hiding in the bushes and trying to take your picture,” Culkin testified under oath. “And people are trying to profit from you or the next thing you know, you have a million acquaintances and no more friends anymore. It was like that and (Jackson) understood that.”
Jackson understood that because he had been there too, and it appears he had found a kindred spirit in the child actor and vice versa.

Image
  1. Father Figure
    Michael thinks about the film Home Alone and his friendship with Macaulay Culkin...