‹ Prequel: Obsticles
Sequel: Settled

Adjustments

Potential

Emily walked by the locker room to see Nick sitting on a bench, staring into space as he focused on something very deeply.

“Nick?” Emily asked.

Nick turned to her, he smiled “Hey, Emily…” he said.

Emily sat next to him on the bench “You alright?” she asked.

Nick nodded “Yeah, just…thinking.” He told her, trailing off.

“About the little girl? Cassie? Is that her name?” Emily asked.

Nick nodded “How do you tell a little girl…a sweet, innocent, little girl, that her family is dead?” he asked off into space.

Emily thought about it for a moment “You relate,” she said softly.

Nick turned to Emily confused, she smiled as she continued “…because losing anybody, it’s like losing oxygen…because then, you feel lost…and when you’re young, losing anything is tragic. And while now, this situation hurts to even think about, it will make her stronger and wiser in her older years…” she said, patting his back before standing up and walking out of the locker room.

“Emily!” Nick said.

Emily turned around to look at Nick, he just looked at her for a moment “What was it like?” he asked.

“…what was what like?” she asked.

Nick smiled “…being adopted…” he said.

Emily smiled as she leaned against the door frame “I grew thinking that’s what life was…I was passed around from family to family, I remember being a rather boring child…I wanted to know and see the world…I wanted to know everything! And Grissom came along, and he told me everything, and I remember thinking to myself, at Four years-old ‘wow…I wanna be just like him when I grow up!’…” she said, her smile got brighter as she finally left the locker room.

The conversation with Emily uplifted Nick Stokes spirits, he was glad to have a friend like her.

________________________________________________________________________
Emily walked into the break room, Nick, Greg, Grissom, and Warrick were sitting at the table as Emily opened the fridge for her Salad.

Nick was reading the newspaper as Emily sat next to him, Greg and Warrick were discussing a case as Grissom drank a cup of coffee while working on the cross puzzle.

Greg and Warrick stopped their conversation and smirked as Nick put the newspaper down and looked at Emily, who was indulging in her salad.

Emily looked up at them, then turned to Nick and screamed by the horrendous ‘thing’ that was under his nose.

“WHAT IS THAT!?!?” Emily asked, getting Grissom’s attention as he looked up from the crossword puzzle.

Nick smirked “It’s a moustache…you like?” he asked.

“NO! It looks like a Caterpillar died on your upper lip, no, better yet…are you doing Porn on the side, Nicky?” Emily asked.

Nick shook his head, his smile still on his face “No.” he said.

Emily gagged “No…that’s uncool, in fact, it’s so disgusting, that I’ve lost my appetite…I’ll be in the lab!” she said, putting her salad away and walking out of the break room.

Nick looked at the three guys who were glaring at him “…my ego just went down 40 points…” he admitted.

Warrick and Grissom began to chuckle as they looked away from Nick, who pouted in his chair a little.

“Welcome to my world…every day.” Greg said.
________________________________________________________________________

Emily’s nose was down the scope as she examined evidence, she heard a hand land on the table as she groaned.

“Grissom, I’ve got two hands and only one pair of eyes…give me a break!” Emily said, not looking away from the scope.

The person cleared the throat, Emily sighed as she stood up “What, Grissom??” she said, standing in front of a familiar stranger.

“You’re not Grissom…” Emily said, staring into the eyes of Lady Heather.

Heather smiled “No, I’m not.” She said.

Emily smiled brightly at Lady Heather, she pushed her bangs out of her face “…hi…” she said, letting a joyful sigh escape her mouth.

Heather smiled as she hugged Emily tightly “It’s good to see you…” she said.

Emily smiled “It’s good to see you too…I’m sorry about Zoe.” She said, pulling away from the hug.

“Thank you…” Heather said, pushing Emily’s hair out of her face “You look so pretty with your hair pulled back!” she said.

Emily giggled “I look like a mess…” she said.

“And I wouldn’t want you any other way!” Heather said, stroking Emily’s hair.

This was weird, Heather was being motherly to Emily. It was almost as if losing her daughter, Lady Heather immediately attached herself to Emily and as close as she could be.

Emily smiled “So, what are you doing here?” she asked.

“I came to see your father, but he’s not here…” Heather said, taking her hand back.

Emily nodded “He’s at the morgue…” she said.

Heather smiled “So I was told…how’s Greg?” she asked.

“…he’s alright, obnoxious…being married is so complicated, now I get why you and dad never marry…” Emily said.

Heather let a small smile slip from her lips “Yes, but you and Greg have potential…maybe for a good sitcom…” she said.

Emily chuckled for a moment before containing herself.

Heather sighed “Well, I have go. It was lovely to see you, and when you see your father, tell him to call me.” She said, handing Emily a Ziploc bagged condom.

Emily looked at the swab, then at Heather “What is this?” she asked curiously.

“It’s DNA of Jacob Wolfowitz…” she said.

Emily shook her head “…Heather, I can’t…it’s not processed…and…Jacob Wolfowitz is dead…has been for 2 days, this can’t possibly be his DNA!” she said.

Heather shook her head “No…it was him.” She insisted.

“…why do you think my dad’s at the morgue…he’s examining the body now…” Emily said.

Heather sighed “Just process it, please?” she asked.

Emily didn’t want to budge, but it was Lady Heather “Fine, okay, I’ll do it…but I have to get Grissom’s sign off or I can’t do anything with it!” she said.

“Do what you have to do!” Heather said, cupping Emily’s cheek before leaving the DNA Lab.

Emily sighed, distancing herself from the bagged used condom from herself as she walked out of the lab.

“OUT OF THE WAY! Potentially valuable sperm walking through!!” she yelled, having Warrick and Nick lean against the walls as they watched Emily walk by with the baggie far away from her.