‹ Prequel: Obsticles
Sequel: Settled

Adjustments

Fate

Grissom walked into Greg’s hospital room, he was in worse shape than he thought as he moved closer to the bed “Greg?” he asked.

Greg opened his one eye and sighed “Grissom,” he said, surprised to see his boss/father-in-law entering his room.

“Just another day at the office?” he asked, feeling guilty as he looked at Greg.

Greg sighed “Well, at least I can see now…does Emily know?” he asked.

Grissom nodded “Yes, Emily knows, she’s out in the waiting room.” He said.

Greg nodded slowly “…I don’t want her to see me, not like this.” He said “…it could ruin everything…” he said.

“What do you mean ruin everything?” Grissom asked, cocking an eye brow.

Greg took a couple of breathes as he looked at Grissom “…she’s pregnant, Gil…”

Grissom didn’t know what to say as he looked at Greg, who took another deep breathe “…found out yesterday, promised me to not tell anybody, but…I don’t want her to lose this one…” he said.

“I’ll take care of her…” Grissom assured Greg.

Greg looked at Grissom “…you better…” he muttered.
________________________________________________________________________

Emily stood up from her chair, watching Grissom walk towards her, Emily grabbed her father’s arm and looked at him.

“He’s okay, he’s talking…” Grissom assured her.

Emily began to cry as she looked at her father, Grissom looked at his daughter as he sat her down “Why didn’t you tell me that you were pregnant?” he asked.

Grissom and Emily shared a glance as she wiped away her tears “He told you?” he asked.

“Yes.” Grissom whispered.

Emily sighed “Well, because I wanted it to be our moment, our little secret…and then this happens, and I forget about it.” She said.

Grissom held his daughter “The feelings about him not wanting you to see him like that…were mutual…” he said.

Emily cried as Grissom held her tightly, he took in a deep breathe as he looked at Emily “Have you called his parents?” Grissom asked.

“No, but I’ll go do that right now…” she said, grabbing her cell phone and walked out of the waiting room.

Grissom watched his daughter for a moment before following her outside of the hospital.
________________________________________________________________________

It was a surprise to see Emily in the lab for everybody, she kept to herself as she worked on mixing solutions, even though she knew all eyes were on her.

Nick walked into the lab with evidence for Emily to process, he looked at Emily to be reminded of a similar memory.

“Y’know, Greg had the same look on his face when you were attacked my Paul Millander, he just had this face of pure horror.” Nick said.

Emily looked up at Nick “Thanks.” She said.

Nick sighed, he just stared at Emily as she moved around the lab quietly before he pulled her away from her work and hugged her.

Emily hugged him back as she took in the moment “…did you also hug Greg when I was in the hospital?” she asked.

“God, no…” Nick said, pulling away from Emily, making her laugh for a second.

Nick smiled brightly “See…I made it all better…” he said, trailing off “But not as better as it could be…” he said.

Emily smiled “Get back to work” she said, turning away from Nick.

Nick smiled as he patted Emily’s back before leaving the lab.
________________________________________________________________________

Greg awoke from a nap and turned to see that Emily was sitting next to hi, just watching him relax.

“What are you doing here?” Greg muttered to Emily.

Emily smiled “Watching you…” she whispered to Greg, who began to reach for her hand.

Greg grabbed Emily’s hand as she got closer to him, and he wasn’t going to let her go.

“I love you…” Greg muttered to her.

Emily nodded “I love you, too…” she said, beginning to get choked up as she looked at Greg.

Greg rubbed her hand “Don’t cry, baby…I’m okay!” he whispered to his wife.

Emily nodded “I know, I just don’t understand why someone would wanna do this to you, or anybody!” she said.

Greg nodded “Emily, it doesn’t matter…what matters what right is that you’re pregnant, and everyone is happy…” he said.

Emily scuffed as she began to laugh “Oh, and Grissom just couldn’t keep his lips sealed about my pregnancy…”

“Did he really?” Greg said, letting a smile escape his lips as he looked at his wife.

Emily nodded “YES…and now everybody knows…but they’re waiting to be excited about it until you get back on your feet!” she said.

Greg smiled, playing with Emily’s hand “So now can we get our own place?” he asked.

Emily laughed as she looked at Greg “Lets get you out of the hospital, then we can start looking around…” she said.
________________________________________________________________________

Emily and Greg sat on the bed, Greg was finally moving around and sitting up on his own as he ate.

Greg watched ahead as a nurse checked on the kid he hit, Demetrius James.

Emily strokes his hand “Remember that he was the one who attacked all those people…” he told him softly.

Greg turned to Emily and smiled at her, he looked at his plain meal and turned back to Emily “You want some of my Mashed Potatoes?” he asked.

Emily shook her head “No, I’m kind of getting nauseated…” she said, kissing his cheek “But thank you,” she said.

A man rolled into the room as he looked at Greg “There he is!” Stanley Tanner said, smiling at Greg.

Greg stood up to greet Stanley, Emily just smiled as she stood up with him.

“Mr. Sanders, “ Stanley said.

Greg nodded “Hey, how are you doing?” he asked.

Stanley smirked at Greg “Better than dead!” he remarked “Get me over there Lizzy, let me shake his man’s hand!” he said.

Greg and Stanley exchanged a handshake “Thank you,” Stanley said.

“You’re welcome” Greg said.

Stanley turned to Emily and smiled “He’s a good man!” he said.

Emily nodded “I know,?” she said, turning to Greg.

Stanley turned back to Greg “You better take care of her…after she’s done taking care of you!” he said.

Greg smiled “Yes, sir…” he said.

Stanley smiled “Home, Elizabeth…” he told his nurse.

The room was just with Emily and Greg again, Greg turned back to the window where fate had just changed.

Demetrius James was dead.