‹ Prequel: Obsticles
Sequel: Settled

Adjustments

Sabbatical

Grissom had finally caught the Miniature Killer and decided to go on sabbatical, which was exactly what Grissom needed.

Emily waddled into Grissom’s office with her 6-month stomach showing brightly, the more and more she grew, the more urgent Grissom got with her about going on Maternity Leave.

“So, you’re leaving?” she asked, slowly sitting down on the chair in front of Grissom’s desk.

Grissom smiled “You okay?” he asked.

Emily nodded “I’m fine…” she said, smiling at her father.

“…and Greg?” Grissom asked.

Emily shrugged her shoulders “The farther I get into this pregnancy, the more stressed out he gets…” she said.

“…bad timing for children…” he said.

Emily smirked “…but convenient…” she said.

Grissom turned his head a little “I’m lost…” he said.

Emily smiled as she got herself comfortable “…when I was younger, during the worst case scenario, I always turned out okay…but when nothing happened, everything went wrong…” she said.

Grissom nodded “Well, at least you’re looking at this in a positive manner…” he said.

Emily nodded “Yeah, umm…so when are you getting back?” she asked, smirking a little.

“Four weeks.” Grissom said, looking at his daughter “Are you going to be okay without me?” he asked.

Emily let out a scuff as she gave her father an unpleasing look “…yeah, dad. I’ll be just fine without you…” she said.

“I’m sorry, it’s just…I don’t wanna be gone at some seminar, and you’re in the hospital because you pulled a nerve and went into labor…” he said, resting his case.

Emily smiled “Don’t worry, if anything happens I’ll make sure Nick calls…” he said.

Grissom turned to Emily “Why not Greg?” he asked.

Emily was silent for a moment “…he can’t sleep, dad…this whole Demetrius James Civil Suit business is scaring him. I mean, the baby kicks…and has a fucking meltdown…” she said, looking up at her father, tearing up a little.

Grissom looked at his daughter before pulling up a chair next to her “Emily, this is just a little speed bump in your life…in both of your lives…I know it’s hard but you and Greg will be happy once the baby comes. I promise!” Grissom said, taking her hand.

“…I just want him to sleep again, dad…” she said.

Grissom nodded “I know, sweetie…” he muttered.
________________________________________________________________________

Grissom and Emily were walking out of the office when Nick walked by, holding on to the evidence he collected from a crime scene.

“Hey, are you actually leaving?” Nick asked.

Grissom nodded “Yeah, but I’ll be back…” he said.

Nick shook his head “No, it’s okay…you don’t have to lie to me. I told my parents the same thing when I left for college,” he said, walking up to Grissom and giving him a hug.

“…it was nice working with you!” Nick said.

Emily tried to hold back a laugh as Grissom became startled “I’ll be back in four weeks, stop hugging me!” Grissom said.

Nick let go of Grissom “Oh,” he said, then walking away.

Emily let out a small chuckle “Well, then, I better get going…I have to go grocery shopping before Greg gets home tomorrow.” She said, giving Grissom a kiss on the cheek “Bye, Dad.” She said, walking out of the lab.
________________________________________________________________________

Greg walked into the apartment at 6 in the morning, he sluggishly walked into the kitchen as he dropped all of his items on the floor and opened a cabinet.

For the first time in awhile, there was food!

“Ohh, Chocolate Chip!” Greg muttered to himself, grabbing a cookie.

Emily sighed as she lied in bed, listening to his every word “Put the cookie down, and step away from the kitchen!” she demanded.

Greg groaned “Are you serious?” he asked.

“…do I sound serious? Just come to bed, you need sleep!” she muttered, laying in bed.

Greg sighed as he walked over to the bed “How’s the baby?” he asked, sitting on the bed as he took off his shoes.

Emily moaned “Fine…I think it’s having a field day in there because I feel the baby just floating around in there…” she said.

Greg smiled “Can I feel?” he asked, lying in bed next to his wife.

“Well, you can’t really feel it…” Emily said, opening her eyes as Greg placed a hand on her stomach, feeling the baby.

Emily smiled “So, how was work?” she asked.

“Weird,” he said “…it’s just not the same now that Grissom left…” he said.

Emily smirked “He’ll be back.” She said.

Greg nodded “Where did he go?” he asked.

“Seminar, it’s something about bugs.” Emily muttered, opening her eyes.

Greg chuckled “It’s always about bugs!” he said.

Emily nodded “Yep…” she said.

“So, have you thought of anywhere we could move?” Greg asked, slowly lying on the bed as he continued to feel for the baby.

Emily yawned “Well, I looked around in my old neighborhood…it seemed pleasant.” She said, taking Greg’s hand.

Greg nodded “Yeah, maybe we can check it out…” he said.

“Greg, if we’re going to move, it needs to be soon, like in the next three months soon…cause I don’t want to have this baby then move.” Emily said.

Greg nodded “Yeah, I know baby…” he said, stroking her hair. “Maybe this weekend, since we have it both off, we can go look around!” he said, trying to be optimistic.

Emily smiled “Yeah, maybe…” she said.

There was a soft silence in the apartment for a moment, Greg cleared his throat “Hey, we still haven’t talked about baby names yet!” he said.

Emily groaned “Seriously? We’re going to talk about this right now? I have to get up for work in two hours!” she said.

Greg laughed “Hey, aren’t you supposed to be on Maternity Leave?” he asked.

“Maternity Leave starts AFTER the baby if born…I want to get as much time in as possible before I pop!” Emily said.

Greg groaned as he shook his head “That is a disaster waiting to happen, I can feel it!” Greg said.

Emily hit Emily playfully “Don’t ruin my moment!” she said.

Greg shook his head as he kissed his wife “I’m not…”