‹ Prequel: Obsticles
Sequel: Settled

Adjustments

Father

Emily was stationary on the king size bed in the new house, boxes were everywhere as she looked around the house.

Nothing was really in it’s place, everyone was still getting organized and Emily just sat or laid down and watched Greg and the boys take everything inside.

Greg got ready for work, he managed to get the TV ready to go as he looked at Emily who just lied there and watched Greg get ready.

“Alright, Warrick will be here in about an hour…don’t do anything stupid,” Greg said, kissing her forehead for a moment.

Emily smiled at Greg “I won’t…” she said.

Greg kissed her again “I love you…” he whispered to her.

“I love you more…” she said, smiling brightly.
________________________________________________________________________

Greg was having an upbeat day until Wendy brought him down, the DNA sample came back and it had 8 epithelials in common with Demetrius James.

The mood had been dampened for everyone.

Everything went down hill after that, Greg was taken off the case and Grissom had no choice but to back the decision of him being taken off.

“Emily would have torn him a new asshole!” Greg said, talking about the Under Sherriff.

Grissom groaned “Well, you’re not Emily…” he said, before walking away.

Greg got more frustrated by the minute, he walked with Sara as he talked to her about watching the interview, who then turned the conversation into Emily and asked Greg how she would feel if he knew what was going on.

“…Emily would just---”

“THERE HE IS!! THAT’S THE ONE I’m LOOKING FOR!!!” Mrs. James yelled as she walked up to Greg and Sara.

Greg and Sara watched as she walked up to the both of them “Taking one of my boys wasn’t good enough for you? So you gotta take both? What did we ever do to you?” She asked, almost pleading with Greg.

“Mrs. James, I have nothing against you or your family!” he insisted.

Mrs. James pleaded “Well, then what is it, is it about the money? Take it! I just want my boy back!” she continued with.

“Mrs. James, you need you to calm--”

“I’m not talking to you!” she yelled at Sara, turning back to Greg, who just looked at her.

Sara groaned “Well, you’re gonna get yourself into trouble here…” she said, just as the security guard walked up to them.
________________________________________________________________________

“What do I owe you?” Greg asked, following Mrs. James around.

She scuffed “Like you don’t know.” She said.

Greg stood him ground “I’ll tell you what I do know, I know that Demetrius was killer, and Aaron, Aaron made the decision to hang out with Drops. He made the decision to do drugs, and to bring that girl into the limo!” he said, if Emily was there, she would have been proud.

“…that’s not on me! That’s on him, and on you!” he said, waiting for Mrs. James to react.

She softly turned around to look at Greg “…Aaron is all I have left.” She said softly.

Greg just looked at her, she got him. Mrs. James smirked “…has your wife had that baby yet?” she asked.

“No, ma’am…” Greg muttered.

Mrs. James nodded “Well, when she does, and you become a father, you’ll understand…” she said, walking away from Greg and out of the Crime Lab.
________________________________________________________________________

Greg was in the locker room, he couldn’t wait to get back home with Emily, who thankfully hadn’t popped yet.

Grissom walked in “The D.A. tells me you requested he go easy on Aaron James,” he said.

Greg turned to him, leaning against his locker as the door was open wide “Yeah?” he asked.

“…he’s getting a suspended sentence.” Grissom said, looking Greg dead in the eyes.

Greg nodded, thinking everything through, knowing that in the end, he thought he made the right call.

Grissom took in a deep breathe “If the kids’ brother hadn’t died, would you have done the same?” he asked, looking Greg over.

Greg shrugged his shoulders, leaning farther into his locker “I don’t know, I just uhh…you think it’s wrong?” he asked, tilting his head at Grissom.

“It doesn’t matter what I think…” Grissom said, smiling a little at Greg. Grissom could finally see what Emily saw in him.

Greg smiled, just then his beeper went off. Greg jumped as he unlatched it from belt strap and looked at it “OH, shit---” he yelled, nearly throwing everything into his locker.

Grissom cocked an eye brow at him “…you alright?” he asked.

“It’s happening!! She’s going into labor!!” he said, slamming his locker door shut, grabbing his jacket, and rushing out of the locker room.

Grissom smiled “I’ll meet you at the hospital?” he asked.

Greg didn’t even turn around “YEAH!! I’ll see you there!” he yelled, running for his car.
________________________________________________________________________

“Are you sure you paged him?” Emily asked Warrick, grabbing his hand as she awaited the next contraction.

Warrick nodded “Yes, I’m sure! Have another piece of ice!” he said, tossing on in her mouth, then tossing one in his and quickly chewed it up.

Emily screamed “GOD, WHY!??” she yelled, having a contraction and leaning over in pain “I want the Epidural…” she said, whimpering.

“Emily, we gotta wait a little bit longer…” Warrick said.

Emily began to let tears fall “It hurts!” she said.

Warrick nodded “I know it does, I know! Just give it another hour…Greg will be here…everybody’s going to be here!” he said, rubbing her back.

“In fact, lets lie on your side…okay?” Warrick said, letting Emily lean on her side while still latching her hand onto Warrick’s.

Emily took in a deep breathe “Can you call him?” she asked.

Warrick shook his head “He’ll be here, I promise!” he said, just as Greg slid across the floor missing the room as he slid by.

“See, there he is! Just sliding on by!” he said, smiling at Emily who just took in another deep breathe.

Emily groaned in pain “Quit dicking around, Greg!!” she yelled, another contraction hit.

“If I had a dime for every time I heard that one!” Greg said, walking into the room “Hey, baby!” he said, leaning into the bed to give her a kiss.

Emily squeezed Warrick’s hand hard, it popped and Warrick was pretty sure his hand was breaking “OUCH…OW…Emily…you’re breaking my hand!” Warrick said.

Warrick turned to Greg “You wanna go ahead and…”he trailed off, letting Greg sit next to Emily and let her squeeze his hand while Warrick tried to get the circulation back into his hand.