‹ Prequel: Obsticles
Sequel: Settled

Adjustments

Live Feed Duty

Emily watched Grissom walk out of the lab with the bag of cash, the random. The one thing that she never thought she would see.

Warrick sat in front of the computers as he continued to watch the feed, Emily sat next to him closely and watched with Eric.

Emily leaned her head against Warrick’s shoulder as he put his arm around her shoulder. They both continued to look at the screen before Warrick looked at Emily, and she glared back at him.

Warrick kissed her forehead as they cuddled closer on the stools.

“You guys will always be my big brothers…” Emily whispered.

Warrick nodded “I know,” he said.

Emily shook her head “No, I mean it. When I was a kid, if I ever had a problem it would be you and Nick. Whether it be kicking some football player’s ass or not being able to reach the top of dad’s bookshelf…” she said.

Warrick smiled as he held her even closer to him, Emily looked back at the feed as she thought to herself for a good moment.

“…maybe we should play football?” Emily suggested.

Warrick shook his head “Where would we play it? We don’t have anywhere to play…” he said.

Emily smiled, maybe this would help them both ease the pain.

______________________________________________________________________

“Guys, if Grissom comes back and he finds this place a mess, I’m gonna be responsible!” Catherine said, yelling at the both of them.

Warrick and Emily were tossing the football in the garage, with all of Grissom’s trivial unfinished tasks surrounding the area.

Emily caught the ball, then turned to Catherine “Chill, Catherine! Just a few more tosses and we’ll be out of here before anybody notices anything!” she said.

Catherine rolled her eyes “If I had a dime for every time you told me that, I wouldn’t have to be here!” she said.

Her phone went off, she sighed as she answered it “Willows.” She said.

“…what? Are you—alright, I’ll be there soon.” Catherine said, turning back to Warrick and Emily as Emily caught the ball again.

Catherine cleared her throat “You guys…you’re on live feed duty, I have to go help Grissom.” She said.

Emily dropped the ball “It is a hostage situation?” she asked.

“…the bastard blew himself up.” She said, walking out of the garage.

Emily kicked the football away “Fucker!” she yelled, frustrated as she walked out of the garage.

Warrick sighed, following suit as he picked up the football and walked into the lab where Archie was waiting for them.

“Anything new?” Warrick asked.

Archie shook his head “No, he’s been the same…stable, for now.” He said, getting out of his seat to let Emily sit down.

Emily sighed “Well, thanks, Archie!” she muttered softly as Warrick sat next to her.

Nick seemed distant, Emily couldn’t bare to watch him still, but she didn’t have a choice and neither did Warrick. But Warrick felt it was his responsibility to ‘watch’ Nick, since he felt all the guilt.

___________________________________________________________

It had been a few hours, Warrick turned to Emily in the silence of them drinking coffee and watching Nick’s every move.

“You know, just go to the scene…I’ll meet you guys there!” he said.

Emily looked at Warrick like he was crazy “…but I’m not a CSI…” she said.

Warrick looked back at Nick, then turned to Emily “…well, today you are. Now go!” he said, softly pushing her out of the seat.

“Okay…” Emily said, walking out of the lab and towards the locker room to get all of her stuff together.

Warrick watched Nick, he was getting antsy as the moments went by. Nick grabbed his last piece of bubblegum and chewed it awhile before sitting the pieces into his ears.

Warrick watched in terror “Nicky, NO!” he yelled, watching the screen.

____________________________________________________________

Emily parked her car and got out into the scene, the place was a mess with money and blood everywhere. Emily wasn’t sure she was able to do this.

She walked into the old warehouse where CSI’s and officers alike where in the building.

Catherine yelled at somebody to ‘bag’ the money and to not get any funny ideas, Emily figures she could do that job, easy enough. She just had to organize the money from location in the warehouse.

It was loud, people yelling at each other and trying to configure things.

Emily grabbed several evidence bags and began to gather the money together, she couldn’t hear or see Grissom anywhere but she figured he was doing something more important.

“I found a thumb!” Sara yelled.

Emily looked up and watched as a lot of people scurried to the sacred thumb. David was slowly making his way in, Emily turned to him and smile as he waved at her.

“I didn’t imagine seeing you here, Emily.” He said, walking to where the source of the explosion was.

Sara walked out of the ‘room’ and saw Sara, she sighed and went up to her as Emily tried to bag all the money.

“I’ll finish your job, if you finish mine…” Sara said, standing right above Emily.

Emily looked up and stopped gathering the money into bags “…say what?” she whispered.

Sara handed her the thumb “…can you take this back to the lab, run it through the computer…maybe CODIS?” she asked.

Emily smiled “…no bag?” she asked.

“…just go.” She begged, letting Emily take the thumb and putting the rest of the money into the organized bags.

Emily took the thumb and put it in a small evidence bag, she thought it was funny having one thumb being significant enough to be put in a bag.

_______________________________________________________________

“Mia, I need a print kit.” Emily said, walking into the lab.

Mia looked up at Emily surprised. She was covered in dirt and maybe some blood “…you alright there, sport?” she asked.

Emily looked at Mia, she smiled “Yeah, I’m great…just get me the kit.” She requested.

Mia sighed “Alright.” She said, walking towards a back cabinet as Emily slowly got the thumb out of the bag with her gloves on.

This was going to be hard, she never had to do a fingerprint scan before.

“This’ll be fun!” Mia said, patting Emily’s back softly and giving her the print kit.

Emily nodded “Yep, no doubt.” She said.