‹ Prequel: Obsticles
Sequel: Settled

Adjustments

Regrets

“Get off her Greg.” Nick said in a cool tone, pointing his pistol and Greg Sanders.

Greg raised his hands above his head as he got off of Emily and stood up in the living room, Nick could already see a bruise forming on the side of Emily’s face.

“Emily, I want you to go get Lenni, and I want you outside, alright?” Nick asked, slowly helping her up off the floor, still pointing his gun at Greg.

Emily swiftly ran up the stairs and towards Lenni’s nursery, giving Nick and Greg their alone moment.

“What’s wrong with you Greg? Huh? What posses a man to do that to his wife?” Nick asked.

Greg shook his head “You don’t understand…” he whispered.

Nick smirked as he shook his head “I understand completely.” He said, still pointing his gun at Greg Sanders.

“I’m losing her, Nick.” Greg muttered, trying not to cry “She keeps pushing away...away from me, away from her friends, away from her own daughter…” he told Nick.

Nick was listening closely to Greg as Emily came down the steps with Lenni in one arm and the diaper bag in the other.

Emily walked outside of the house, and waited for Nick on the porch.

“You stay right there, you follow us and I swear to God that Brass will be all over you!” Nick said, putting his gun back in its holster and walked out of the house.
________________________________________________________________________
“What did you do?” Emily asked as Nick guided her to his car.

Nick shook his head “Nothing, I did nothing…” he said.

Emily gasped “Oh, no. I forgot the car seat! I have to go get it!” she said, walking to her car and opened the unlocked back seat where Emily then unbuckled the car seat.

Nick took Lenni out of Emily’s arm as she pulled the car seat out of her Yellow Beetle and walked with Nick to his car.

“Is it going to fit?” she whispered.

Nick nodded “Yeah, it should! Here, let me get it!” he said, handing Lenni back to Emily to put the car seat in.
________________________________________________________________________

Nick made the bed ready for Emily and Lenni, he opted for the couch since Emily probably needed a king size bed after the night she had been through.

Emily relaxed the sleeping Lenni, being comforted by the warm sheets on the bed.

Mrs. Sanders sighed as she walked out of the bedroom and into the living room where Nick sat on the couch for a moment watching the news.

Emily sat next to Nick, watching the news in her t-shirts and jeans while Nick Stokes was just in his boxers.

The awkward moment rose quickly.

“How you holding up?” Nick asked.

Emily shrugged her shoulders “What do I say?” she asked.

Nick turned to Emily and stroked her hair “This was not your fault. This was beyond your control!” he told her.

“You did nothing wrong!” Nick informed her.

Emily began to cry “It feels like I did!” she whimpered.

Nick shook his head “No, Emily…what Greg was wrong! He shouldn’t have done that! You should know that.” He told her.

Emily shook her head “Ever since the Sara and Grissom thing, I feel so out of place. And I’m so angry, and confused! I push everyone away because I’m scared.” She confessed to Nick, who held her close.

“There’s nothing to be afraid of, Emily.” Nick told her.

Emily let a tear fall as she began to sob “I just wish my dad would tell me that!” she said, crying hard as she held onto Nick, and Nick held her close.

Nick hadn’t held Emily this close since she was a teenager, since her attack from Paul Millander.

Emily continued to cry on Nick’s shoulder for the rest of the night.
________________________________________________________________________
Greg sat on the foot of the bed with bloodshot eyes and a beer in his hand, he replayed the moment over and over again in his head.

Why did he do that?

What made him so vain and hateful enough to want to hit his own wife, his beloved Emily?

The CSI could only imagine what Nick was going to do, his worst scenario was having Grissom know. At that point, his career and his life were doomed!

“You stupid mother fuc—”

His cell phone was vibrating in his pocket, he dropped his beer and answered his phone “Hello?” he asked, trying to muffle that he had been crying.

“Greggo, what’s going on?” Warrick asked, he sounded like he was smiling.

Greg shrugged his shoulders “Nothing much,” he said, lying on the bed.

“Is Emily asleep?” Warrick asked.

Greg closed his eyes, asking himself how he should answer the question. He let a deep breathe out “She’s not here.” He said.

Warrick scuffed “Not there? So are you babysitting?” he asked.

Greg took another deep breathe “No, she took the baby with her.” He said, almost confining in Warrick Brown.

“Greg, did something happen?” Warrick asked in a serious tone.

Greg tried to muffle his forming tears “…I don’t want to talk about it.” He said.

Warrick sighed “I’m coming over then, we need to talk about it!” he said, hanging up his phone before Greg could even open his mouth.

“He’s gonna kill me,” Greg muttered to himself.
________________________________________________________________________
Warrick walked into the house, the kitchen was a wreak which only meant one thing.

Emily and Greg Sanders REALLY got into it…whatever it was.

“Greg?” Warrick yelled, slowly walking up the stairs to the master bedroom.

Warrick took in a deep breathe as he walked into the master bedroom to find a rather distraught Greg Sanders sitting against the edge of the bed.

“Oh my god,” Warrick said, walking towards Greg, kneeling before him as he looked at Greg.

Greg looked up at Warrick “I hit her,” he muttered.

Warrick’s eyes nearly popped out of their eye sockets “What?”

“I hit her. I don’t know why! I’m such an idiot, why did I hit her?” Greg asked himself out loud.

Warrick sat next to Greg “Why did you?” he asked.

Greg shook his head “It doesn’t matter now, Nick just so happened to walk in at the right time…and she took the baby and left with Nick…what am I going to do?” he asked.

Warrick patted Greg’s back “Sounds like you need another beer.” He muttered softly.