‹ Prequel: Obsticles
Sequel: Settled

Adjustments

Run

“It’s not even light out
Oh, you’ve somewhere to be
I’ve never seen you like this
You’re scaring me
You’re scaring me
You’re scaring me to death…”

The lyrics ran in Greg’s head, Emily had left her Ipod behind which gave both him and Warrick something to do as they sipped on a few beers.

Greg stared into space as the soft melody of piano filled the house. He was beginning to wonder if Emily would ever come home and they could work it out, or if that was the end of the both of them.

“She’ll need time,” Warrick said, turning to Greg.

Greg nodded “I just don’t her to divorce me, legal separation I can handle, but divorce…just shoot me now.” He muttered as he finished off his beer.
________________________________________________________________________
The sun was bright as Nick woke up in the couch, it was quiet in his apartment as he swiftly sat up in his bed.

“…Emily?” he said out loud, but Emily never answered.

Nick got off the couch and looked around the apartment. No Emily, No Lenni in the apartment.

“Emily?” he asked again, walking into his bedroom to find a closed envelope on his made bed.

Nick opened it and read the tragically beautiful handwriting of Mrs. Emily Sanders.

“Was I ever enough?” the letter simply asked.

Nick took in a deep breathe, this letter was simply nothing better than bad news.
________________________________________________________________________
The front door was being banged on as Greg slowly opened the door to see Nick giving him a very serious look.

“…can you at least wait for Warrick to leave before you kill me?” Greg said, finally feeling the hangover from last night.

Nick pushed himself inside the house “Is Emily here?” he asked.

Greg shook his head “No, I thought she was with you.” He said.

Nick handed him the note and looked around the house as Greg read it. Greg felt his stomach hit the floor as he turned to Nick.

“You’re not serious?!” he asked.

Nick nodded “Found that on my bed this morning…I couldn’t find her or Lenni…” he said.

Warrick then came down the stairs “What are you doing here?” he asked in a snarky tone.

Greg passed Warrick the note “We have to tell Grissom,” he insisted.

Nick took in a deep breathe “…I don’t like saying this; but…we can’t tell anybody.” He said in a near whisper.

Warrick looked up at Nick “She could be hurt! She could be dead! Her AND Lenni! Do you understand the guilt we’ll all have to bare if somebody finds her and Lenni’s body!?” he asked.

Greg shook his head “She wouldn’t do it, despite Grissom’s rather scientific religion, Emily’s been a devoted Catholic for the most part. She wouldn’t kill herself…she’s gonna get even!” he said.

Nick nodded “We have to protect the team, we have to protect Grissom…it’s hard enough with Sara gone.” He said.

“If anyone asks…she’s sick.” Nick went on to say, looking at the two men, his friends and co-workers.

Greg nodded “Okay,” he said.

Warrick sighed “Alright, but if something happens…” he said, trailing off while pointing a furious finger at Nick Stokes.
________________________________________________________________________
Emily knocked on the door loudly as she waited for the occupant to get to the door “Please be home,” she muttered under her breathe.

The door opened.

Lady Heather looked at Emily in pure shock while Emily held Lenni against her side, giving the woman in front of her the most pathetic look in the world.

“Can I come in?” she asked.

Lady Heather nodded as she let Emily in, the girl nearly stormed in as she entered the house and turned to look at Heather.

“What’s wrong?” Heather asked.

Emily took in a deep breathe “Everything…” she whispered, sitting down on the couch in the spacious living room.

Heather sat next to Emily “…define everything…” she said, holding Emily’s hand as she did.

Emily teared up, she pushed her hair back and away from the side of her face to show the large bruise that Greg had inflicted on her.

Heather gasped “Who did this to you?” she asked, taking a good look at it.

“Greg.” Emily whispered.

Heather covered her mouth in shock as she shook her head “Did you call the cops?” she asked.

“No, Nick showed up…took me and Lenni, and then this morning I was afraid that dad was going to find out. So I left and came here.” Emily said, explaining the situation.

Heather stroked Emily’s cheek “…nobody deserves to be hit.” She said.

Emily nodded “I know, but it’s my business, and my business alone.” She said.

“That’s what women say when they’re in denial.” Heather said.

The girl rolled her eyes “I’m here aren’t I? I called work, as of this morning I am currently on an leave of absence at work.” She said.

Heather sighed “Maybe it’s time you and Greg took a break, stroking Emily’s cheek as she softly smiled at her.

“You’re welcome to the guest room for as long as you need.” Heather said, not letting the smile leave her lips.
________________________________________________________________________
Grissom walked up to Greg “A leave of absence, Greg? Why would Emily need a leave of absence?” he asked.

That wasn’t what Greg was expecting. He stopped to think for a moment, how he could be honest without spilling the entire truth?

Greg sighed “Her mental health, she said that she needed to breathe. Emily—she had a melt down last night, like THAT was the final straw…so she took it. Need some Emily time for the first time in her life!” he said.

It was the most confident lie Greg had ever told, next to not telling his parents he was a CSI for nearly two years.

Grissom glared at Greg “Is she going to be okay?” he asked.

Greg nodded “Oh, yeah. She just—she just needed some serious time away from the lab.” He said, then walking away from Grissom and towards Warrick and Nick.
________________________________________________________________________

“Well that puts me at ease!” Warrick said, almost relaxing completely.

Nick nodded “So, she’s okay. We know that.” He said.

Greg nodded “In the meantime, just tell everyone it’s for her mental health. Some good time away from the Las Vegas Crime Lab.” He insisted.

Warrick nodded “Sounds a little more truthful.” He said, walking out of the meeting room.

Nick and Greg turned to each other, Nick nudged Greg “She’ll come around, I promise.” He said, before following Warrick out of the lab.

Greg was alone in the meeting room “I sure hopes so,” he told himself.