‹ Prequel: Obsticles
Sequel: Settled

Adjustments

Saved

Mia handled the rest of them thumb, Emily gave a lengthy report to Sara and Brass, who was quite pleased in some way.

Emily sighed, she went back to the scene to help Catherine and the team since she knew they could use all the help they could get.

It was night, everybody was on their third cup of coffee. Greg was working on separating dirt from evidence while Warrick began to sketch the scene.

Catherine was examining the car with Emily’s help, who was instructed to look for anything out-of-the-ordinary to get closer to Nick.

The paper crumpled up, Warrick was getting frustrated.

Greg smiled “Hey, I found a trigger wire. Maybe...once we reassemble all the components, we'll be able to tell where the bomb came from. Maybe that...”

“--yeah, maybe, maybe, maybe. Maybe if we count up all the damn "maybes," maybe Nick will be alive!” Warrick said, getting frustrated that he kicked the evidence bucket Greg was using.

Emily got their attention, Warrick began to walk away as she walked towards him “What is your problem?” she asked him.

“Was that necessary? Never mind my clothes. Look at the evidence!” Greg followed her comment with.

Warrick threw his clipboard in a random direction as Emily caught his arm and made him face her “…seriously, what’s going on in that head of yours?” she asked.

“Why don’t you mind your own damn business?”

His face then stun, Emily’s hair flew and her hand was at an angle.

Warrick got angrier by the second “You wanna go at it?” he asked her.

Emily rolled her eyes as she put her hands on her hips “You know I can take you, we’ve been there, done that!” she spat at him.

Catherine gasped as she ran towards them “Alright, alright! Emily…take 5…” she said, pushing Warrick back slowly.

“Hey, Warrick, hey! How you holding up?” she asked.

Greg and Emily watched from afar as Catherine and Warrick talked, this was taking a toll on everybody.

Greg looked down at the spilt water, it was all leaking into the sand in a certain area.

“Guys…I found something!” he said, getting another bucket of water and waiting for Warrick and Catherine to walk over.

Three of them scooped back the dirt, corners and edges of something…

_____________________________________________________________________

It was a coffin, but no Nick. The little hope that the team had installed in their systems was now gone.

Warrick and Emily took in back to the lab, they were silent with nothing to say to each other as both feelings had been hurt and ego’s were seriously damaged.

The coffin had held a dog inside, and they both attempted to figure out how it worked.

Emily sighed as she looked at the battery that was attached to the side of the coffin, Warrick put the assumed fan and light back together as they both of them tested the coffin.

The battery life was constant as they looked at the test monitor.

Warrick and Emily had gone several hours saying nothing to each other when Emily turned to Warrick in empathy and sighed “…I’m sorry I hit you.” She whispered.

He turned to her, she was avoiding his glance as he looked at her. Warrick smiled as he put his arm around her.

“It’s okay, I deserved it…” he said, kissing her forehead.

_______________________________________________________________________

Grissom was rushing to his office, he passed Emily and ordered her to follow him into his office.

“Open all of these books…look up the ants!” he said, handing Emily two books and grabbing one for himself and looked inside them.

He had a picture of an ant, one of the many aunts that were eating Nick alive in his grave.

Emily couldn’t find anything, but Grissom found it. Grissom grabbed Emily’s wrist, causing her to drop the books and follow him into the break room with the rest of the team on their way.

The team were getting so many clues from the fire ants, they were rare in Las Vegas because of the soil.

They could only be found in nurseries.

“There are eleven nurseries in the greater Las Vegas area…” Catherine said, spinning her chair anxiously.

Archie walked in, Emily, as a lab rat herself, helped Archie get the map together and pinpoint certain areas of the greater Las Vegas area.

“…from the web cam footage, I’ve traced to here…” Archie said, circling a certain area.

Greg smiled “…and from the car, we’ve got a 23-mile radius…” he said, circling an even more distinct area of the map.

Warrick opened a file, he looked at the map, then back at the map “Two nurseries over lap in this area.” He put two X’s on the map.

Then, it clicked with Sara.

“Wait, wait…wait!” she said, running out of the break room.

Emily turned to her father and sighed heavily, as they waited for Sara to come back. And when she did, she pointed at an exact X.

“Nick is here…” she said.

________________________________________________________________________

The team disbanded, Greg and Emily followed Catherine closely as she listened out for the live feed transmitter.

Emily began to close in with Catherine, looking closely for loose soil or anything, just like Grissom instructed her to.

Catherine sighed with relief “HEY…I’m picking up the transmitter!” she yelled, following the sound with Emily by her side.

And that’s when she saw it.

“NICKY!” Emily yelled, running towards a long hallow vent pipe sticking out of the ground.

Emily didn’t know what to do as Catherine pulled out the live feed transmission. They found Nick.

She didn’t waste any time digging with her hands, waiting for the shovels and others to arrive.

Warrick jumped in with Emily, digging with a shovel and handing one to Emily so she could actually dig.

There were officers helping Warrick and Emily dig the grave when Warrick hit something, Emily and Warrick looked at each other before they dropped their shovels and began to push away the thin layer of dirt.

Emily and Warrick began to see pieces of Plexiglas, Nick was in there, they just had to make eye contact with him.

“HEY!” Warrick yelled, getting a clear view of Nick “HEY…we got you, man! Nicky!” he yelled.

Emily pushed more dirt out of the way, Nick had a gun pressed to his chin as he made eye contact with both Emily and Warrick.

“Hold on there, Nicky…” she said, getting a better look on Nick “Hey, put that down!” she instructed him.

Warrick smiled with relief “Put that down. We got you. We're gonna get you out of here.” He said, seeing all the fire ants on him.

They yelled for the fire extinguisher, Greg brought it to them. Grissom was instructing them as Warrick slowly opened the coffin while Greg gave ‘short bursts’ into the coffin.

Warrick and Emily had Greg kill the ants with the fire extinguisher as she slowly began to get the coffin to open.

“Get out of the hole! That box is ready to blow!!” Catherine yelled at everybody.

Brass was unamused “Are you kidding?” he asked sarcastically.

Warrick and Emily looked at each other, Emily shook her head at him. Warrick nodded “…we’re not leaving with Nick!” he said.

Catherine groaned “There are charges under the box!” she said.

“…still not leaving with without him!” Warrick said, Emily nodded in agreement.

Grissom then got a light bulb idea, he instructed Warrick and Emily to get out of the box. He had an idea.

Warrick sighed as he looked at Emily “C’mon…” he whispered to her, leaving the coffin.

Emily’s hand still on the top of the coffin “No…” she pleaded with Warrick, who swiftly picked her up and away from the coffin.

Nick yelled in fear as they left, panicking as he hit the box and yelled at the top of his lungs. Grissom ordered for 200 pounds of dirt as Emily watched Nick in fear.

Grissom moved his daughter an inch away as he jumped in the whole and kneeled on the coffin.

“Nick, can you hear me?” Grissom asked.

Nick shook in fear, he couldn’t stay still no matter how hard he tried, Grissom sighed “…It's gonna take us a minute to get you out of there, okay? Nick?” he said, but Nick had lost it again.

Emily sighed as she jumped in the box “PANCHO!” she yelled at him.

Nick went still, Emily smiled, almost with tears. Grissom scooted over as Emily put her hand on top of the coffin.

“Put your hand on my hand…” she told him.

Nick complied, he looked at Emily like she was a goddess, like she was going to save the world.

Grissom looked at Emily “You wanna tell him?” he asked.

Emily smiled as she looked at Nick “…there are explosives…under the coffin. Most likely, trigged on a pressure switch,” she said.

Nick looked at Emily in disbelief as she took in a deep breathe “And we need to equalize your body weight before we can get you out of here…okay? Nicky, okay?” she asked.

“Nod if you understand me, Pancho…” Emily said after Nick didn’t say or do anything.

Nick nodded, his hand still pressed against her in the coffin.

Grissom explained everything to everybody, use a harness connected to Nick to pull him out after they pour the dirt into the coffin.

“…All right, Pancho, we're gonna open the lid and get you out, but we need you to stay lying down. Okay? Or else you'll blow us all up…alright?” Grissom yelled, Nick managed to understand him.

Nick nodded “Yeah, yeah…” he said.

“Do you promise?” Emily asked.

Nick nodded.

“Promise me…” Emily begged.

Nick looked at Emily “I promise!” he said, beginning to sob.

A backhoe arrived with the dirt, Grissom leaned up and instructed to come closer to the grave, before looking back at Nick “Don’t move…” he instructed.

Warrick softly pulled Emily out of the whole and helped Grissom open the box, Nick continued to cry as he reached out for somebody’s hand.

Emily grabbed his hand as Grissom kept Nick in the box, pushing him back softly.

Warrick also held Nick’s hand, reassuring him that he was okay.

“Stay still…” Grissom instructed, Emily began to chant it as well.

Nick nodded “Okay…” he managed to get out.

Emily let go of his hand to get the rope to tie to Nick’s belt while Grissom made last minute instructions.

Warrick got out of the box as they began to get everything ready for Nick’s escape.

The CSI’s were in a line, holding onto the rope that was connected to Nick’s belt, Grissom was first in line as he looked at the backhoe “…NOW!” he said.

The dirt piled on Nick, Grissom instructed everyone to pull and before they knew it Nick was flying in the air.

The coffin exploded soon after.

Warrick dropped the rope and ran towards Nick, with Emily calling for the paramedics.

_______________________________________________________________________

Nick was secured into the ambulance with a gurney, Warrick got in first as Emily held onto Nick’s hand tightly before letting go softly.

Catherine followed Warrick into the ambulance with Nick in toe.

The ambulance closed, Emily could feel everything roll off her shoulders. Planning a wedding single-handedly had NOTHING on this mess!

Greg came up behind Emily and put a blanket around her “You did good…” he whispered to her.

Emily nodded, letting a few tears fall down her dirt stained cheeks.

Greg had Emily face her “I love you…” he told her, holding Emily close as Grissom looked at the both of them.

Grissom walked up to the both of them “…You guys okay?” he asked.

Greg nodded “Yeah, we’ll meet you at the hospital?” he asked.

“Yeah.” He said, slowly walking away.

Emily sighed “…I’m so tired…” she said, trying to smile.

Greg nodded “I would be too…if I saved my best friend and big brother…” he told her, trying to comfort her.

They rocked back and forth in the middle of the nursery for a moment.