‹ Prequel: Obsticles
Sequel: Settled

Adjustments

Roses and Lilies

Greg was snoring when Emily got home with the groceries, a smile was on her face as she walked into the kitchen to put the bags down.

Emily was enjoying her day off, with the sun lighting up the apartment while Greg slept soundly.

…until the phone rang.

Emily wasted no time picking up the phone, but it was one ring too late when Greg stopped snoring and twitched as he awoke from his slumber.

“Hello?” Emily answered.

Grissom was calling to check in on the both of them, he was on his way back to his new apartment from visiting Nick at the hospital.

It was strange for both Emily and Gil Grissom. Emily was back in Las Vegas for good, but wasn’t living with her father, and Grissom had this huge house with only one person and a dog living in it.

So Grissom moved.

“…yeah, dad…I know…dinner?-- ” was what Greg heard when he rolled out of bed to listen to the rest of the conversation.

Emily sighed “…just me and you?” she asked.

Greg smiled smugly as he grabbed the bed sheets and pulled himself back onto bed to begin sleeping again.

Emily talked to Grissom awhile longer while putting the groceries away, Emily and her father agreed to have dinner that night, with or without Greg. Preferably without Greg.

“Alright dad, I’ll see you tonight…7:30…alright, love you too…” she hung up the phone and put the last of the groceries away.

“PERFECT EXAMPLE!” Greg yelled, muttering his words as he said them.

Emily smiled “What do you mean?” she asked.

Greg walked into the kitchen “…uhh, that Gil Grissom hates me!” he said, leaning against the frame.

“He doesn’t hate you…he just wants father-daughter time.” Emily said, getting close with Greg.

Greg kissed her “I get it…you go see Nick today?” he asked.

Emily shook his head “No.” she muttered.

“Well, you’re going to, right?” Greg asked, taking her hand.

Emily sighed “He…all Nick wants to talk about is the wedding.” She said.

Greg nearly chocked on the air he was breathing “Then let him!” he said, siding with Nick.

“…I don’t like talking about the wedding…” Emily said.

Greg smirked “And why not?” he asked.

Emily sighed “It makes me feel awkward…” she said.

“Awkward? How?” Greg asked.

Emily groaned “The fact that he’s more excited about this wedding than I am…and it’s MINE…” she said.

Greg smiled “…it’s because he raised you, Emily…he’s happy for you that you survived all that…and are getting married.” He said.

“…to me…” Greg then finished, with a smile on his sleepy face.

Emily laughed out loud “Yeah…unlike me father, unfortunately, who feels like I could do SO much better than you…” she said.

Greg’s ego was hurt, but he wasn’t going to let it effect his mood “…Grissom loves me, he just shows it in a weird way…” he said.

“Like how?” Emily asked, giggling as she looked at him.

“…like putting Fungus on my feet…putting a 200-pound dummy on me and leaving it there…stuff like that.” Greg said, pulling Emily even closer to him.

Emily nodded “Sure…that’s probably just payback on all the crude and unusual comments you told him back in the day!” she said, patting his chest.

Greg smiled as he held her closely “Hey, just go see him…alright? Do it for me.” He pleaded.

“Okay, I’ll go…but ONLY if you brush your teeth.” Emily said, walking out of the kitchen.

Greg lost his smile, smelling his breathe and flinching at the smell of it “Okay, I’ll be sure to do that…” he said, walking into the bathroom.

____________________________________________________________________

Emily walked into Nick’s hospital room, he was resting but was awake as she walked in with a doggy box full of Brisket.

Nick took one sniff and opened his eyes, Emily smiled as she grabbed a seat next to him “…I brought you Brisket…sorry it’s not from Texas.” She said, handing him the box.

“Aww…you shouldn’t have!” Nick muttered as he sat up and took the box from Emily, smiling from ear to ear as he ate.

Emily sighed “…so, has it been slowly down?” she asked.

Nick shrugged his shoulders, tearing into the Brisket like a true Texas man “Kind of, my parents keep trying to make it all better…” he said.

“Oh, that’s fun!” Emily said, with a small smile on her face.

Nick nodded “Yeah…so, have you done any wedding planning in the past 24 hours?” he asked.

Emily chuckled “Yeah, in my dreams!” she said, crossing her legs.

“Well, what about Roses?”

“Roses?”

“Yeah…Roses! We could hang them everywhere!” Nick said, nodding in approval.

Emily shrugged her shoulders “I was thinking Lilies…but Roses would be nice!” she said.

Nick nodded “They could go well together…”

“You know what I think, I think this is your secret plot to have your own wedding…” Emily said, giggling to herself.

Nick smiled “Maybe just a little!” he said, claiming some guilt for his indulgence.

Emily nodded “And one day, your day will come…” she said.

“Oh, come on…Emily, that’s not true!” Nick said.

Emily shook her head “Nick, you are a good looking fella. Cocky, confident, funny! Any girl would be lucky to have you! You’ve just got to find the right one.” She said.

“…whose NOT a hooker!” she said, finishing her sentence.

Nick gasped “That was only one time…” he said, pointing his long finger at Emily, who continued to laugh.

Emily smiled “Yeah, right!” she said, giggling as she went.

“…can I still come to the dress fitting?” he asked.

“…so long as you don’t take pictures and show them to Greg…” Emily said, crossing her arms.

Nick nodded “I can’t promise anything, and you know how Warrick can be…” Nick began to imitate Warrick imitating a gay guy at a candy shop “…oh my god, YOU GUYS! She looks like a fox!”

Emily laughed hard as she kneeled over in her seat “TRUE! So true!” she said.

Warrick cleared his throat “Oh hell no, I do not act like that!” he said, putting the Cheeseburger combo down.

“Just a little…” Emily said, giggling at Warrick as he grabbed a seat.