‹ Prequel: Obsticles
Sequel: Settled

Adjustments

Heartbreaking Wedding Day

Emily was looking out of the window from the Cathedral, her tight bridal bun and white wedding dress lit up from the sunlight as Lady Heather watched her.

“How are you doing?” Riley asked.

Emily sighed “…I’m nervous…” she said “Maybe we should call it off? Post-pone it for awhile!” she insisted.

Riley gagged “I flew out of Maine to be here, Ems…I wouldn’t have done that if I knew you weren’t ready!” she said.

Heather nodded “Yes. Along with your father being rather distressed…not that he already isn’t…” she said.

Emily sighed and nodded, she walked away from the window, while looking at the clock.

The nerves in Emily’s stomach were ready to explode as she paced around the room, she couldn’t sit still and couldn’t stop thinking as Heather followed her closely, trying to button a button that had come undone in her corset.

Until Grissom came in.

Emily stopped pacing, Heather finally got her corset buttoned back up and looked at Gil “…are they ready?” Heather asked.

Grissom had his hands in the pockets of his Tux and he looked at Emily “No, not yet…” he said.

Emily smiled “How do I look?” she asked, her white wedding gown made Emily look beautiful, and deep down inside it tore Gil Grissom up inside.

Grissom took his daughters hands, he smiled as he stroked her cheek, then squeezed her hands.

“Emily, I’m sorry…” he said.

Emily giggled nervously “…sorry? About what?” she said, keeping her smile intact.

Grissom sighed “I can’t do this.” He said, letting go of her hands.

Emily lost her smile “Can’t do what?” she asked, reaching out for her father’s hands.

“I can’t…I can’t do ‘this’…I just can’t.” he said, walking away from Emily and out of the room.

Emily was on the verge of tears, she couldn’t believe what she had heard “DAD…” she yelled, looking at the door, but Grissom never came back.

Heather sighed “I’ll go talk to him…” she said, running out of the room.

Riley stood up from her chair “And I’m gonna get Warrick and Nick, just hold on!”

Emily took in a deep breathe, letting a tear single-handedly smear her make-up.

_________________________________________________________________

Heather followed Grissom out into the parking lot and to his car where he sat on the hood and thought for a moment.

For the first time in history, Heather became big-bad-mamma to Emily in front of Gil Grissom…

“I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU!!! Just break her heart…and on her wedding day! It’s not even her fiancée who’s telling her he can’t ‘do it’…but her *FATHER*…” Heather yelled, making sure Grissom got all of it.

Grissom didn’t know what to say, Heather was furious, she didn’t expect this type of behavior from Gil Grissom, not at all.

“I can’t go through with it, Heather…I just can’t! I dread…I dread seeing her marrying him, I’m scared because my little girl…Emily isn’t my little girl anymore!” Grissom said, getting off the hood of his car.

Heather gasped, she was flabbergasted at Grissom’s comment, it almost insulted her “She’s never been a little girl, Grissom…she never had the opportunity to be a kid, and yet you’re going to look me in the eye…and tell ME, that you don’t want to see your little girl grow up?” she asked, disgusted.

“Gil Grissom, you are being selfish…” Heather said, turning away from him.

Grissom just stood there, unsure of what to tell Heather.

______________________________________________________________________

Riley knocked on the Groom suite of the church, she knocked on the wooden door long and good when Nick opened it suddenly.

“You lost cupcake?” he asked.

Riley sighed “No, we have a problem in the Bridal Suite…and it required the presence of you and Warrick Brown.” She said.

Nick got serious “What happened?”

“Grissom bailed!” Riley whispered towards Nick.

Nick lost his nerve “What do you mean Grissom bailed?” he asked loudly, making Greg and Warrick both turn their heads towards the door.

Riley shrugged her shoulders “I don’t know, he just told Emily, straight to her face that ‘he couldn’t do it’ and he left! Then Heather went to go and talk to him, and I felt obligated to come and get you and Warrick!” she said.

Nick groaned, he turned his head back into the suite “Warrick, c’mon…”

Warrick was still trying to perfect his tie “I’m a little a busy!” he said.

“I don’t care…now c’mon! Emily needs us!” he said, walking out of the room and waiting for Warrick to join him.

______________________________________________________________________

Emily sat at the vanity, she cried as she sat alone in the lightly lit room in her white gown with smearing make-up.

Riley walked in with Warrick and Nick, who wasted no time trying to fix the situation until Heather ‘talking Grissom down’.

“Awww, honey…don’t do that, you’re smearing your make-up!” Nick said, grabbing a tissue and wiping away the black smudges on her face.

Nick turned to Riley “She brought her make-up kit, right?” he asked.

Riley nodded “Yeah, hold on.” She said, walking over to the other vanity to find the make-up kit that Heather had brought with her.

Warrick took in a deep breathe as he took in the situation: Emily crying because Grissom somehow managed to hurt her feelings with no prevail.

Riley handed Nick the kit, he smiled at Emily as he showed her the make up “Now, Emily, I need you to stop crying so I can reapply your make-up, okay?” he asked her.

“But dad--”

“Don’t worry about Grissom, I’m here…Warrick’s here, and he didn’t even do his tie!” he said, smiling at Emily as he slightly re-did her eye liner and mascara.

Emily sighed “Worse wedding ever, and it hasn’t even started yet!” she said, pouting to herself.

Nick smirked “Don’t talk like that…not on your wedding day! It’s gonna be so much fun! You and Greg will be married, and we’ll all do the funky chicken in your honor!” he said, finishing her make-up.

Emily laughed, Nick chuckled to himself “Ahh, see, there it is!” he said, pointing to her smile.

Nick put the make-up down “Now, I’m gonna call Catherine, see if maybe she can find Grissom, okay?” he said, standing up.

Emily nodded “Okay…” she said, taking in a deep breathe.

Nick and Warrick looked at each other, both of them had left their cell phones in Greg’s area.

“I’ll go get my phone…” Warrick said, walking out of the room.

Nick sighed “I hope he hasn’t left…” he said to himself.

Riley nudged him and shook her head “Don’t think like that…dork!” she said, turning towards Emily.