Status: DOWN for re-editing / won't be updating any time soon. I'm sorry.

Complicated You; Sophisticated Me

breaths.

He didn’t give her an answer that night. Instead, he’d changed the topic and pointed to a random cab and practically towed her there.

Mika twisted and turned restlessly on her bed. She felt annoyed and frustrated for some reason she couldn’t put her finger on.

And what the hell was up with Dylan last night? He was acting all weird and stuff.

Mika gritted her teeth.

He had kept looking at her with wide eyes and murmured words she could barely understand like some sort of possessed person.

Mika sat up and pulled a pillow along as she did, and glared at it.

“Fag fag fag fag homo homo homo!” she lashed out at the pillow. “It’s your fault, you stupid fag!”

She grimaced and got annoyed even more when the pillow didn’t fight back. She was going crazy.

I don’t get this. I hate this feeling—

What was that feeling anyway? She had no idea.

—and I hate Dylan Sparks!

The more she thought about it, the lesser answers she got and the more questions surfaced.

~

Dylan checked his phone when he felt it vibrate inside his jacket’s pocket.

I’m sorry about what happened a while ago. I hope we’ll get to talk with each other soon. I really need to tell you something.

- Heather


He free-fell to his bed and tried to sleep.

~

The following morning, Mika woke up late and hissing, “School again.”

She did a quick shower and a quick change of uniform, and did her weekday routine. She greeted Gran and hurried on before Dylan arrived to pick her up.

Strange.

He wasn’t anywhere.

Not that she was expecting him to be, though.

~

The day got by at a boringly slow speed.

Mika felt tired because of lack of sleep last night, and again, she threw the blame onto Dylan.

That mutt, she thought.

Dylan didn’t come by her class during recess break too—not that she cared.

The lunch bell rang a moment later and Mika chanted to herself: I will not pass by his class. I could care less about that person.

She stared at her lunch box blankly for a few seconds, and then muttered a sigh to herself shortly, “Fine.”

Mika stood up, leaving her lunch behind her and sauntered towards the class next to hers.

Just for a sec, she reminded herself. Just for a sec.

~

“What’s up with him?” Brad asked Earl. “We even came to visit you guys for lunch or somethin’.”

“Dylan’s sleeping,” Earl answered. “That’s so boring. We can’t have a group lunch with him sleeping on us.”

“Must be tired from our trip,” Kip stated. “Leave him be for a while.”

Dylan groaned and turned, his arms crossed over his head as the others left.

Just as they were about to go out of the room, they saw Mika.

“Oh, the girlfriend!” Brad, the long haired blonde dude with pearl gray eyes, slung an arm around her shoulders casually. “What’s up lil’ sis?”

Mika sighed. “Is Dylan in?”

Earl laughed, “He’s sleeping . Didn’t get enough sleep last night, we assumed.”

“Maybe Mika and Dylan did something,” Lyndon joked.

Mika glared at him. Bad joke there, buddy.

Behind Lyndon, she could see Mitch looking at her. The way he looked at her made her feel uneasy, but she didn’t show it. He spoke shortly, “Do you need him for something?”

She averted her eyes abruptly. “Nothing, thanks.”

“Want us to wake Dyl up for ‘ya?” Earl asked, grinning and holding a thumb up.

Mika shook her head.

“We’ll be going ahead then,” Kip said and they started for the hall.

“See you lil’ sis,” Brad said as he ruffled her hair the way he usually did when he saw her.

Mitch glanced at her with his hazel-colored eyes for a second before he smiled and brushed past her.

~

Dylan finally woke up when Kip dropped a book on his head as the bell rang. He didn’t eat anything for lunch, and now his stomach was giving off protests.

He looked over his shoulder and whispered to Kip behind him, “Do you have food or anything? I’m hungry.”

Kip replied, “I don’t, sorry. We tried to wake you up—we honestly did. You wouldn’t budge, though.”

“Ah shit,” Dylan cursed and buried his face on the desk indolently.

“I’ll tell you something good for you,” Kip leaned in and whispered carefully while the teacher wrote in front of the whiteboard.

Dylan snorted, “What’s good with an empty stomach?”

“Mika asked for you a while ago.”

Dylan quickly sat up, his face a fresh red and his heart pounding at a quicker pace than before.

He turned to Kip, seeming to forget that he was inside a classroom, “What did she say?” he asked, a little too louder than what he intended.

“Sparks!” The economics teacher, Mr. Wane, yelled.

Mr. Wane was a grumpy middle-aged man who had military hair cut: the kind of teacher who made his students feel as if they were in boot camp. Dylan felt like he was a dog since he barked orders at everyone at any time of the day.

Their classmates’ eyes were on Kip and Dylan, and some were chuckling and whispering with each other.

“Go out of this class right this instant!”

Dylan threw a mental dagger of killing intent towards him and cursed under his breath before he did what Mr. Wane had commanded.

As soon as he was out of the classroom and sitting on the marbled floor, he calmed down and felt the same feeling he had felt that night and a while ago.

Why did Mika ask for him?

Moreover—

Why was he actually happy about it?

~

Mika's chest started to feel heavy and stiff.

Her hands found their way to her skirt pockets and rummaged for her medicine case. It wasn’t there.

She checked her bag. It wasn’t there.

Holy—she thought, gulping—I forgot them again!

She sighed in relief when she found out that she hadn’t forgotten her inhaler, since it was always next to her pillow every night and every morning she'd come pick it up.

This isn’t enough, though.

She abruptly stood up and called the attention of her teacher, “Can I go to the restroom?”

The teacher nodded once before she got back to her lesson.

Mika could feel curious eyes on her. It was the first time she ever shouted in a panicky way.

Somehow, they saw her as a silent and collected person.

This time, Mika was rushing out the room, panicked, as if her breaths were held back.

~

The door from the other class burst open, and Dylan almost jumped. Mika ran past him as if he weren’t there. And even though he couldn’t see her expression well, he saw how she clutched at something against her chest like she was in pain.

What the—

He peeked through the glass frame on the door; the teacher seemed to have forgotten about him, and a teacher like Mr. Wane could care less if Dylan left anyway.

Without any more second thoughts, Dylan ran after her.

~

The girls’ restroom was at the far end of the hallway, and it just so happened that it was under cleaning.

The sophomores’ corridor was where the next nearest restroom was, but it was on the third floor. Mika took a deep breath and bolted like a track and field runner while her chest kept tightening and tightening with every step.

Just a little more, she told herself. Hold on...hold on...

Before she could even run up the stairs and breathe in the lavender scent, her vision darkened and she collapsed, her tight grip on the inhaler loosening completely.
♠ ♠ ♠
I love scenes like this. Lemme know what you guys think, kay? <3