Status: DOWN for re-editing / won't be updating any time soon. I'm sorry.

Complicated You; Sophisticated Me

confusion.

Dylan saw Ember standing in front of the entrance door to the Pavilion of the Dukes Hotel where Mika's party was being held. Ember smiled cryptically as he waved his hand to call them.

"Glad you guys made it," Ember greeted. "Mika's inside. Come in."

Dylan raised a brow. "What's the catch?"

Ember shrugged. "Nothing, it's just that our dad wants to meet you guys."

The way he said it made Dylan feel uneasy. There must be something wrong here, Dylan thought. They must be planning something.

"Ember—" Mitch cut in suddenly.

"Look, I'm Mikayla's brother, all right? I'm not going to do anything that can hurt her."

"You took her away," Dylan gritted his teeth.

Ember's forehead creased irately. "Look buddy, I don't know why the hell my sister agreed to go out with you, but everything that Dad and I do, it's for her."

"So you're taking away her right to decide for herself?"

"This ain't any of your business," Ember hissed as he grabbed Dylan by the collar abruptly.

Mitch cut in as the others watched intensely, "Hey, calm down."

Brusquely, Dylan pushed Mitch away and took a step closer to Ember so that they were face to face. "It is my business now," Dylan hissed back and started for the Pavilion.

"Too late," Ember smirked and followed after.

~

Mika stared at the stranger on the mirror. Her long black hair was tied up into a ponytail. Her eyes were lined black, bringing out its electric blue irises. Her cheeks and lips were deep pink. Her long sleeveless black dress contrasted against her pale skin.

This wasn't her, this get up.

Mika sighed. What was she doing? Why was she even here? She had to escape this place, her father, her life.

If only Mom were here.

"Darling?" her father knocked on the door. Mika glanced at herself one last time before she opened it. "You look beautiful."

"Dad—"

"I'm glad you're calling me Dad again."

Mika bit her lip for a second. "After this party, all this crazy stuff is finished. I'm going back to my life, and you'll go back with Ember, away from me."

The smile on her father's face disappeared. "Still shutting us out?"

Mika averted her eyes. "I don't want to go back. I want to stay here. With my friends. With Granny Cordelia."

"No."

Her eyes widened. "What?"

"You and Ember will take over the enterprise. No buts. That's final," he answered sternly. "Let's go. Your guests are waiting for you."

With that, Mika's father walked away, leaving her fighting her tears off.

~

"So, she's actually Mikayla Jaden Halloway?" Brad asked for the nth time. "And she's, like, an heiress to Halloway Enterprises?"

Mitch nodded for the nth time.

Dylan took a moment to process this. Earl and the others eyed him worriedly, wondering what he could be thinking. Dennis didn't even play with his video games.

"How did you know all this, Mitch?" Earl put in. "You should have told Dylan."

"I thought the matter wouldn't turn into this."

"We just have to think of a solution to this," Lyndon patted Dylan's back. "You gotta keep yourself together, man."

Dylan looked around the room wearily. His eyes widened when he caught sight of Mr. and Mrs. Hendrickson along with Kipp sitting together in one table.

"Guys—" Dylan blurted. "It's Kipp."

Before Dylan was able to stand up from his chair and walk towards Kipp, the lights dimmed and a spotlight focused on a grand staircase.

"Presenting my daughter, Mikayla Jaden Halloway!" Mika's father announced enthusiastically.

Dylan completely forgot everything as his eyes found their way to Mika.

~

Mika watched the crowd, her heart throbbing. Why were there so many people here? She didn't even know any of them.

Her hands balled into fists as she bit her lip nervously.

"My daughter's finally come home!" her father continued. The guests applauded in a we're-so-happy-for-you way.

Mika dared not to look at them anymore, so she stared at her manicured toes.

This isn't me, she gritted her teeth.

"...that my daughter is officially engaged to the son of my dear friend..." Mika caught up to what his father was saying. Her eyes widened. "Please give a warm applause to the Hendricksons!"

Mika followed the spotlight as it focused on a table on her left. That's when she saw Dylan's best friend, Kipp.

He looked at her confusedly, his eyes also widened.

"Will you please come here, Kurt?" Mika's father said.

Kipp stood up from his chair and sauntered towards him reluctantly. Mika watched him, her mind clouded with questions.

What was happening? Why was Kipp here?

Kipp reached his hand out in a greeting gesture. "I'm Kurt Patrick Hendrickson. Pleased to meet you, Mikayla," he lowered his head.

~

"Dylan..." Brad began. "Why is..."

Dylan couldn't utter a word. He couldn't even think straight. Mika was engaged to Kipp? To Kipp who was his best friend?

So that was why he couldn't come with them more often.

Kipp was a rich kid, Dylan knew. Kipp had also told him he was engaged to someone he didn't know once.

Who would've thought he was engaged to Mika?

Mitch put a hand on Dylan' shoulder and said, "What are we going to do now?"

Dylan took one last glance at Mika before he stood up from his chair, and without even a word, he left the Pavilion. He heard the guys call after him, but he didn't look back.
♠ ♠ ♠
I noticed it took me a month to update. :(
Let me make it up to you guys by updating
more often, yes? :))

Comments?

Thank you guys for supporting this story
up until now. =) I appreciate it!