Status: DOWN for re-editing / won't be updating any time soon. I'm sorry.

Complicated You; Sophisticated Me

overnight.

At first, Dylan did it because he thought he had enough time to kill.

Now, everything that came out of his mouth everytime he was with Mika was a hundred and twenty percent true.

It wasn’t out of politeness. No lies or anything. Just the truth.

“I’ll stay beside you,” he promised. Mika just looked at him with a startled expression—not blank, not expressionless. “I’ll hold your hand when you need it; I’ll hug you when you’re cold; I’ll be someone you can rely on…”

His heart was racing fast as he spoke.

“…and I’ll never ever hurt you, Mika.”

Mika looked away, her hands clutching at her long gray skirt.

“You don’t know how painful those words are, Dylan Sparks. You haven’t got the slightest idea,” she said shortly in a strained, almost suffocated voice.

Dylan couldn’t see her expression.

Is she crying? he wondered and started to feel guilt. He had already hurt her with his words just now.

And I even promised her that I’d never hurt her.

He felt pathetic.

“I’m sorry,” was all he could say. “But I really mean those words. I really, really do.”

Mika turned to face him, her eyes filled with questioning and sadness. This was the first time she had openly shown emotion in front of him.

But…

What she was showing right now broke his heart.

Mika was in pain.

~

Promises.

Last time she heard one, her entire life shattered into a million pieces and got washed away like sand by the waves.

He’ll just break it.

Maybe he won’t.

Yes, he will. Just like everyone else. Just like—

“Please don’t promise,” Mika murmured.

Dylan kept silent for a moment, watching her with eyes that looked as if they actually gave a damn about her.

Did they?

“…then I won’t promise,” Dylan answered finally, linking his fingers with Mika’s. “I’ll make sure I do it.”

~

Dylan free-fell to his bed, feeling completely exhausted. He twisted and turned restlessly, the past events replaying inside his head.

What was it that made Mika that way? Why did she stop smiling at all?

Can I ever make her happy?

He was starting to doubt his abilities. Mika was different from the other girls. She may have a harsh tongue and a strong façade, but deep inside she’s just as delicate as an injured bird with broken wings.

She’s not just some girl he could fool around with—not just someone he could mess around with.

He didn’t want her to experience what Heather had with him.

Mika’s different…special.

And he didn’t know what it was with her that made him act this way.

~

Friday.

After classes, Dylan and Mika went straight to the apartment to grab some stuff for the trip and change into their casual clothes. What happened between them the night before seemed distant and miles away, and they were back to their usual selves.

Dylan quickly changed into a striped navy blue polo and pants paired with Vans sneaks.

“I hope you guys have fun,” Gran said, smiling.

He grinned.

The door to Gran’s place creaked open, and Mika entered, wearing a long black hoodie and a long knee-length skirt with black cardigan boots.

“Whose funeral are we going to visit?” Dylan joked.

Mika rolled her eyes, “Let’s just get this over with.”

Dylan walked out of the door with Mika shuffling behind him as they said they went on their way to the nearby plaza where Lyndon’s car would be waiting.

~

The sun had already set behind the star-filled sky when they arrived.

Dennis’ estate was a beach house that overlooked the ocean shores with fresh sea breeze welcoming them as they walked over to the front porch.

Inside was even better. The walls were painted lightly, a combination of greens and creams and blues. The furniture was Balinese-themed and had a comfortable rattan feel to it.

Several maids greeted them as soon as they entered.

“Nice crib, Dennis!” Lyndon whistled when they saw Dennis slouched down onto an expensive-looking sofa.

Dylan had his hand linked to Mika’s casually. Mitch, being the businessy and all-money guy of the group, examined the place appreciatively.

Rich bastard, Mika mused.

Earl ruffled her hair suddenly, as if able to read her mind, and said, “Dennis’ parents own a well-known real estate company.”

Brad grinned, “My parents bought from them.”

Rich bastards.

Mika tugged the hem of Dylan’s shirt and whispered, “What time will we go home?”

He looked up at Kip, “Hey, what time are we all going home?”

“Time?” Brad asked incredulously. “Dude, this is an overnight trip.”

~

Mika’s eyes widened.

“I didn’t know this was an overnight trip!” Dylan explained. “I swear. I thought we were going home around 10pm or something like that.”

“I’m going home. Now,” Mika stated.

Earl, Brad and Kip watched them nervously.

“Are they fighting again?” Mitch asked them.

“Do they always do that?” Earl put in.

“Let them be, let them be,” Lyndon gawked at a maid, playing out the total man-whore in him. “Lovers do that.”

“And how are you going home? It’s dark and this is really far,” Dylan challenged.

“I’ll take a cab.”

“Do you even have enough money?”

Mika bit her lip.

“I can lend her,” Dennis said suddenly in a bored tone, looking up from his PSP. “If she wants to go home at such a late hour, let her. We won’t be held responsible if something happens to her.”

Dylan turned back to Mika. “Okay, fine. I can’t let you go home alone. You’re a girl, for christ’sake,” he decided. “We’re going home.”

Brad grimaced, “Dude, seriously.”

“This get-together was meant for you two, after all,” Earl reminded.

“And I wasted gas,” Lyndon added.

“Wasting gas equals wasting money,” Mitch said.

Kip just shrugged.

“All right!” Mika mulled over after seeing their annoying expressions. “Fine, fine,” she looked up at Dylan, “This is the last time I’ll do what you want.”

“Thanks,” Dylan smiled sweetly.

Brad bellowed a laugh, “Now let’s play Spin the Bottle and Dare,” he glanced at Dennis, “Den, you got some beer?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey hey. I'm so sorry for the late update. I was feeling terrible recently but I'm all good now. Anyway. I'm back to updating! Comment, Subscribe, WHATEVER :)

Comments make me happy. :")