With This Gun.

Chapter 9.

We sat and talked for what seemed to us as minutes. People came and went as we sat in our own little world as if nobody was around. It was nice to talk to someone who was the same thing I was. There were no secrets I had to keep from her.

She told me she was going to Europe to assist her friend with his studies. She did drink, but did before she came onto the ship, so she wouldn’t have to kill anybody and create suspicions. My mind never left hers. Just to see if she was telling me everything I wanted to know. She was.

I wondered if she too, was reading my mind. That maybe I wasn’t the only one with a power I couldn’t control. I never let that escape my lips. I didn’t want to be the subject of observations anymore.

A few girls interrupted us and asked if we were actors in a play. I smiled at them, leaving them speechless and said we were just travelers. As they walked away I laughed to myself at one of the girls hyperventilating.

I found the girl’s name to be Claire. We talked for a while longer as the dining room decreased in population. It must be getting late.

I leaned back onto my chair, noticing that as we were caught up in our conversation, we had been inching closer to each other. I sighed and looked to the side of me at the salad that laid there untouched. Thinking it couldn’t hurt I stabbed a bit with a fork and reluctantly shoved it into my mouth. Just as I thought, I couldn’t taste it. Claire watched me curiously.

I laid money down on the table, paying for the salads we both had ordered. They both laid there, hers untouched and mine just barely. She smiled graciously at my generosity and we both stood up to go since there was nobody else around. We said our goodbyes and went separate ways. It was nice to have someone to talk to. I was going to miss that.