With This Gun.

Chapter 1.

I guess you can say that it started in 1901, the year I was born. The turn onto the 20th century caused many hardships for my family. A year later I was born. My birth threw my family into poverty. I had to work since I was five years old. By that time my mother was pregnant with my little sister. My father had abandoned us once he found out. Shortly after my sixth birthday my sister was born. The name given to her was Ahnna Elizabeth. My mother had to work three jobs to keep us with a shelter and food. I did my best to help her by taking care of my sister.

Two years later my mother remarried a business man. We moved into a house on the east coast. I finally had my very own room and my new stepfather was very kind to my sister and I. He bought us new clothes, toys, and luxuries of the sort.

By my fourteenth birthday my mother had been pregnant again, but lost the baby. That made my stepfather a bit angry.

He, too, left my mother, sister and I.

My mother became ill a few months after Ahnna had turned eight. I nursed her in bed and spent my fifteenth birthday sitting by her side and doing whatever she needed me to do.

She died two weeks later of lung cancer.

I pulled whatever savings I had and paid for a funeral. the day after I set out to go look for a job. We got to keep our house. Apparently my stepfather kept paying for it so we could still live peacefully.

I got a job at a farm near where we lived. Ahnna did her best by keeping the house clean and learning to cook.

I worked two years at the farm, but soon had to take off. My sister had Scarlet Fever. It didn't start out as bad as I was told, but it worsened with time. My beloved sister, my pride and joy, died at the age of eleven. Three days after her birthday.

For weeks, I didn't sleep, I hardly ate and never talked. I began to believe that I was truly cursed. All the people I had ever loved were gone, out of my life forever.

I decided to go to Chicago. Getting out of the east was for the best. I sought employment, and did not think about what had happened in my past.

I found a job in a store. My employer had rented me a home to stay in. It was a couple nights later when it began.