Walking Contradiction

NURSING AN OLD FRIEND

NAIMA’S POV:
I heard as Britney made a muffled sound, it wasn’t until then I realised what I had said. Brittney raised her beautiful blonde head and looked at me with questioning, worried eyes.

“What?” Was all she said, her expression was one of fear and disbelief but not fear for herself fear for me. “Who?” She finally asked.

It seemed like an eternity before I answered the question but looking back I doubt it was more than five minutes. My lips fumbled on the words as I tried to explain.

“Devil’s Child.” I finally got out and Brittney’s expression became one of a mother bear, protective.

“I’m getting Billie-Joe.” She said standing and turning for the door.

“No Brittney.” My words stopped her in her tracks, “You can’t okay. I shouldn’t have told you, even my being here puts you all in danger…congratulations.” I said with a weak smile before standing wiping the smeared eyeliner from my eyes, replacing m sun glasses and exiting the bathroom and in turn the restraunt.

-----------------------

BILLIE-JOE’S POV:
I had been dragged away by Trè and Mike, to stop myself from racing into the bathroom after Naima. They’d sat me down on a chair and stuffed a beer into my hands, I found I’d sculled it before I even realised I was holding it. After what seemed like an eternity, Britney came up to us. I looked up my eyes searching frantically for Naima.

“B.J she left.” Brittney said softly. I looked up at her confusedly, I knew I probably looked pathetic, Naima was only a girl…she was 19, but I couldn’t help but see her as a woman, more than a woman.

“Let me go get her then.” I said standing up, Mikes hand pressed into my shoulders pushing me back down.

“You’ve been drinking mate. Don’t be stupid.” Trè said as Mike moved to Brittney’s side and she whispered something I couldn’t tell in his ears and Mike’s expression changed, his new expression knotted my stomach with a deep fear.

“You know what mate, I think we should go get her.” Mike said through gritted teeth, as the four rushed to the door.

“Uh mike.” Trè said, nodding his head toward Brittney, Mike turned to his fiancée.

“Stay lovely. If what you said is true I’m not bringing you with me.” He said kissing her softly once, the moment was intimate and both Trè and myself turned away in respect for our friends. Finally miked dragged us into his SUV and revved the engine, speeding along the well known path to the military school.

------------------------------
NAIMA’S POV:
I sped through the gates toward my ‘house’ storming inside as soon as the engine was off. I moved through the rooms a wreck not really sure what I was doing. But somehow I wound up, curled on the couch a bottle of tequila half empty clutched lightly between my hands and I was drinking deeply. Then someone knocked on the door, reluctantly pulled my lips from the bottle.

“Go away.” My shaking form squeaked out, as I hid further behind the arm of the couch.

“Naima,” Billie Joe’s familiar voice rang through the darkness like a burning candle bringing me warmth and light. “It’s me.”
“Go Away.” I squeaked out again, and this time another voice spoke it was familiar though I wasn’t sure if it was Trè’s of Mike’s.

“No because if you told Brittney the truth, alone is the last thing you should be.”

I wiped my eyes, burping into the back of my hand before taking another deep drink from the bottle now only a quarter full and I stumbled to the door. My hands fiddled with the locks and chains until finally only one remained. I opened the door, only slightly so I could see who was there, with the darkness of midnight as their background there stood Mike, Trè and Billie Joe. I shut the door again, sliding the last chain open before opening the door for them to come in, never letting the tequila go.

--------------------------
GENERAL POV:

Naima looked like a wreck, and she swayed as she walked never sticking to her path, the bottle of tequila swinging clutched to chest except for when she was drinking. She curled up in the seat of an arm chair like a baby and finished off the bottle within a few more swallows. Billie neared her trying to take it away and a sob shook her body.
“No.” She sobbed out, “Leave me alone.”