Status: On going...

He's attractive, arrogant and invincible. Well, for now.

Pass The Parcel.

“Ever has amnesia.” Those were the words that shook Adam’s ground. They were also the first words for Carl to speak, soon after he managed to calm down. Ever looked up at him shocked for a while until she gave out a sigh of defeat, knowing this was going to come.
Sooner or later.

“Well, to be exact it’s a diagnosis called ‘Fibromyalgia’,” Ever interjected, getting comfortable in her seat. She gave up on hiding. “It’s a disease where her memory resets every time her body falls asleep. Although recently it varying, sometimes she managed to go through a night without resetting, we don’t know why though. The longest she’s gone through is three days, but apparently that’s just a miracle.” Ariel let out with a sigh.

Tears threatened to trickle.
Her words suddenly became real.
Piercing her.

Although they hit Adam just as worse. Who would of thought? He couldn’t think straight, the reality of the situation as hitting him too hard, and too fast. But the hesitation as to whether take it as a joke, like usual, or face the truth head on was a thing he couldn’t fight with.
It hurt him.

The feelings that belonged to Ariel and Adam weighed themselves on Carl. Carl knew the situation to an extent where he shouldn’t.
And he knew that.
The truth was to be told but he knew not all of it was going to come out.

“Wait, I don’t understand... what do you mean by ‘recently’? Why has this been happening?” Adam was beginning to think. “Does she want this? What caused it? And even so, how does she manage to remember you or me sometimes? Even after a couple of days.” Maybe thinking a little too much.

Ariel took a moment to process his questions, Carl eyeing her carefully, not to give too much away. “We’re not a hundred percent sure either. But her latest doctor’s appointments I’ve been attending has said that even though she managed to remember after a night, when something triggers her memories, her body automatically resets itself, no matter when or when, and causes her too fall unconscious. I don’t know why it’s happening, all I know is that something happened to her, something bad, that made her want to forget everything, but it think now there’s something keeping her back, wanting her to remember and... I think that’s you Adam,” She confessed. Adam opened his mouth only to be interrupted. “Let me finish. Why she remembers us and everything is only because she writes a diary to herself every night, wakes up to read it and writes in it before she sleeps, it was advised. And it works. But it can be difficult, because the only way she can remember is by photos, or drawing or very detailed description. It’s quite amazing.”

Adam’s heart was racing.
Fast.
To think Ever was going through so much pain, day after day, and he was clueless through it all.
Selfish nonetheless.
How could he be such an idiot?
He felt ashamed, disgusted, with himself.
He hated himself.

“I know that face...” Carl burst into his thoughts with a sad and calming voice. “Don’t go blaming yourself, you didn’t know. No one knew. It was her business, why would she tell a bunch of people she barely knew? We all feel bad Adam.” He tried to comfort.
“Then why...” Adam took a deep breath. “Why was I the last to know!?”
That was a question none of them wanted to answer, and they weren’t willing to.
“See!? There you guys go again... it’s not fair!” Adam stood up, stomping his feet. He grinded his teeth in anger as his blood boiled under his skin and circulated his veins.

How could be so dim-witted? Clueless, even.
It wasn’t fair. It wasn’t fair at all.

It took Adam a while to calm down and sit himself back down by Carl before thinking rationally again. He couldn’t take it overboard and act childish. That would only lose the trust they were putting in him. He needed to take it in. Like a man.
He took another deep breath before placing his eyes upon a sleeping Ever; she was lying her head on her arm that steadied itself on the leather sofa’s arm. Her curly hair swinging across the end, touching the floor, its length showing. Her slim eyes shut tight and her eyebrows knotted together. She was uncomfortable but beautiful nevertheless.

He was scared, “How long has she been like this?”
The question caused Ariel to flinch slightly, pain shooting across her face, as if the number itself was painful. She opened her mouth, her breath scaring Adam, as Carl placed his head between his knees. “Nine years.” Ariel whimpered. “She was being put under hospital care for seven years. The only let her out recently.”

“Oh god...” Adam wanted to puke. To think Ever’s torture had been going for so long killed him, stabbed at his chest. And the thought of this continuing on killed him more. “Why? Why has it been going on for so long!? Haven’t they found a cure for it. Fuck, what is this!?” Adam began to shiver, he didn’t know what he would do if he got out of control.
“Adam, calm down...” Carl placed a hand on Adam’s wrist, holding it tightly. Cautioning him. “There is no cure for the one who wants to forget.”
Adam turned to look at his friend with wide eyes, “What...?”
“The thing that happened to her... it’s a painful thing, clearly. Painful enough for her not to remember, she doesn’t want to remember. It would kill her emotionally. So, until she comes to accept what happened, her disease won’t be cured. This is something she has to fight with, by herself. But that doesn’t mean we can’t help her. But we have to do it right.”

Adam looked at Carl painfully, he knew he was right but it hurt him too much to fully understand. He wanted to help. Help, in whatever way he could but he knew there wasn’t much he could do. He needed to understand the situation better. Figure out what happened nine years ago, why it happened.

The truth had been spoken, but not all of it.
Adam knew that there was more to it.
Hidden beneath the skin.
Under the crust.
The heart, the core; was yet to be approached.