Status: Finished, need to update.

Your Protector

Flashback of Friendship

It was ten A.M. in Texas and all the little five year old kids were sound asleep in their teeny, warm beds. Except me. Restlessly, I rolled over on my purple bed sheets, stretching my limbs as I looked out of the frost coated window above me. It had finally snowed enough in Texas to make a giant snowman and I couldn't wait any longer to do it. I climbed out of bed only to get goosebumps the minute my tiny bare feet hit the cold, hard-wood floor, causing cold shivers to run through my spine. The chill made me wrestle to get my yellow, polka-dot blanket from my bed, my body so keen on finding warmth that I almost toppled over in the process. After I draped the blanket around my shoulders I stood still, my head looking between the hall way and the frosted window, debating on whether I should wake up Jason or not. Finally, after some contemplation, my mind was made up and I raced away, feeling so close to the winter wonderland that I could almost taste the cool snow on my protruding lips. I ran as fast as lightening to my older brother's room, stopping only to pick up my blanket when it slipped from my shoulders. That didn't stop me for long though. I was determined to be out in the cool atmosphere as soon as possible so that I could finish my snow man before the ice melted. I knew the snow man would just fade away as the sun rose but I didn't care. I never cared about things like that. I was always taught, 'If you feel that when you achieve a certain thing, it will make you happy, then go for it. Don't worry about what will happen later or how you will do it, just begin and don't give up until you have that bright smile of yours on your face.' Yeah, I didn't understand that at five but now I realize that I didn't need to because it's just something I've always done.

When I got to Jason's room it was dark like a big bear's cave, except for a small amount of light shining through the sheer,navy blue curtains behind his bed. I looked up at the wall and saw a light switch that seemed about three feet above my head. I stood there a while and wondered how I could reach then a thought popped into my mind. I stood on the tips of my stiff, cold toes, stretched my tiny fingers as far as they could go, and reached for the switch. My fingers barely grazed it when I lost balance and went tumbling to the floor. I stood back up, determined to get the light on and reached as high as I could. I bent my knees then counted under my breath, "One...two...three!" I sprang up from the hard wood floor and barely hit the switch. My butt hit the floor just as the room was flooded with light, causing my older brother to stir in his sleep. He murmured something incoherent and his light brown hair spilled onto his tan face.

I walked over to my brother, trying to avoid tripping on the clothes scattered all over the floor, then I awkwardly climbed onto his huge bed and pulled the blankets over me to escape the cold air. I turned over to look at Jason and put my face right in front of his while snuggling closer to his chest for warmth. I stared at him hard enough to burn a hole in his fore head, hoping he would become uncomfortable and wake up. He mumbled again but didn't move and inch. I sighed with frustration, blowing air into his face and his piercing green eyes slowly blinked open. He smiled at me tiredly then said, "Good morning cutie. Why have i been graced with your presence on this beautiful day?"

I thought hard, trying to understand what he meant and once I figured it out I giggled and hugged him. "Good morning brother."

"Do you need something?" Jason yawned, stretching out on the queen size bed.

"I wanna play in the snow! Bring me! Please?" I yelled excitedly, jumping up and down.

“I don’t know..” he smiled, trailing his words and ending them in a question.

I fell onto my knees and stuck my bottom lip out in a pout, knowing he couldn't resist saying yes. “Pretty Please? I'll be your best friend.”

“Well, how could i say no to that? I guess I’ll have to bring you now, but-”

“Yay!” I cut him off mid sentence, clapping my hands in excitement and bouncing up and down on my knees.

Jason gave me a disappointed look and said, “Don’t interrupt Alexis. It’s not nice and friends are nice to each other.”

“Sorry… I can still be your best friend right?!”

“Of course, silly.” My brother tapped my nose and climbed out of the bed, stretching his arms. “Go get your clothes on and I’ll meet you down stairs. Don’t forget to put on two shirts!” He yelled as I fled down the hall.

When I got to my room I pulled on my jeans and struggled with the button. After trying a few times I finally gave up and left it undone. I raced to my drawer and pulled out two shirts, one long sleeved and the other short. I put on my shirts, grabbed my fluffy white coat from my rocking chair, zipped it up, and raced down the stairs to find my brother waiting by the door. "Hey cutie. You all set and ready?"

"Yeah, but can you button my pants?" I asked with a frown.

"Sure." He buttoned my pants and stuck a red bow in my black hair. "Here, put your hand on my shoulder so I can fix your shoes."

Jason bent down on one knee and I leaned into him while he lifted my foot and tied the laces on both my Dora the Explorer shoes. He stood up, towering over me again and smiled. "There you go. Now you're all ready."

"Thanks dad! Oops...sorry...thanks Jason!"

"It's fine. Let's go play!"

I remember pain flashing across my brother's eyes when I called him dad. I understood why when I got older. It was because my brother felt sorry for me. My dad didn't care about me and Jason acted as my father. When I was sick my dad was out getting drunk and my brother was helping my mom nurse me back to health.He taught me how to swim and ride a bike. Him and my mom were the two people that made my childhood special. Those were the only two people I loved with all my heart as a kid.

Just as we were about to leave the house I cried, “Wait! I forgot Teddy,” and ran to the couch to grab my bear. After i had him I ran out the door and into the snow.

After Jason came outside he shivered and looked at me with and apologetic smile. “Too cold. I'm going to put on another shirt. Be right back."

“Okay!” I ran to the middle of the yard and started working on my snow man. I was working diligently when Zane Novak, a boy from across the street, walked into my yard. I didn’t really like him but I was too excited to care. “Hi Zane! Wanna help me build a giant snowman?” I asked, holding my arms out as far as I could to emphasize the word giant.

Zane stepped closer,an evil smile plastered on his face. "Why would I want to help you? You're a weird, little kid. Even your teddy bear is cooler than you." He walked up to me and snatched my bear from my hands, causing me to fall in the snow. Zane started laughing just as a little raven haired boy walked by, pulling a wagon full of snow covered toys. I guess he saw me crying on the ground and Jason holding a bear then figured out what happened. He walked up behind Zane and put a finger to his lips so I wouldn't say anything, then he tried to grab my bear from Zane's grip. Zane turned around, not letting go, and the blue eyed boy tugged as hard as he could. Just when he was about to win Zane released the bear from his grasp, causing the kid to stumble forward and fall face first into the snow. Zane looked down at him like he was an ant then started to walk away. “You can keep the bear. I’m too old for bears anyway.” Zane walked out of the yard laughing just as the little blue eyed boy started to get up.

He had blood dripping out of a huge cut on his cheek but he still came to see if I was okay.He walked up to me and stuck his hand out for me to grab. “You okay?”

“Yeah. Thanks.” I said once I got to my feet and wiped the snow off my coat.

“What’s your name?” He smiled at me and shook the snow from his pale face as he wiped his cheek with one hand.

“I’m Alexis and I’m five!” I smiled back, pointing at myself with my thumb.

“Cool our names are almost the same! My names Alexander but you can call me Alex! I’m six!”

“Are you okay Alex?" I asked examining his face carefully. "You’re bleeding! I’ll get my brother!” I grabbed Alex’s hand and ran to the door of my house just as my brother was walking out. He had seen what happened and was holding a wet paper towel and two band-aids in his, hand ready to clean the cut.

My brother let Alex inside and wiped his cheek with the paper towel. He put the two band-aids over his cut and then found out Alex's phone number so he could call his mom. After Jason called Alex's mom he walked over to the couch where we were sitting and looked at Alex. “How old are you kid?” My brother smiled ruffling his hair.

“I’m Alex and I’m six. How old are you?”

My brother laughed and said in the same way, "I'm Jason and I'm sixteen."

Alex's mom came after we played a while and promised she would plan a day for Alex to come over again. Alex and I hugged before we said goodbye then he kissed me on the cheek, turned beet red, and ran out the door. My brother smiled at me while he shut the door and took a few slow steps toward me. I looked at him for a second and he looked right back at me. I started laughing uncontrollably at his grin, which was getting wider with every second, and ran to my room before he started to chase me.

After Jason tucked me into bed I thought about my hero. The six year old Alex, who saved me from a kid two whole years older than him. The six year old Alex, that even though he got hurt asked me if I was okay. The six year old Alex, that kissed me on the cheek before he left. I was to happy to care about the crashes and screaming of my dad fighting with my mom downstairs or the loud music blaring from my brothers stereo and I fell asleep smiling. Wondering when I'd get to see my six year old hero again.
♠ ♠ ♠
I re edited the chapter and it's alot better. There's no doubt I'll edit it again but for now it's good.