We'll Still Have Each Other

The One Where Anya Snowboards

Anya and Harper had been out on the slopes for not even ten minutes before they heard yelling coming towards them and all of a sudden, Harper was being tackled to the ground. "What the hell?" Anya questioned, seeing Scotty and Kevin walking towards her.

She looked towards Harper, who was still on the ground, with Mason on top of her. "Okay guys, either get a room or get up," Kevin said with laughter in his voice. He turned to look at Anya, who had her camera in her hands, snapping candid pictures of Harper and Mason. "So, do you snowboard?" he asked her. He assumed that since Danny did that Anya did as well, but he didn't know for sure.

"Not too much," Anya admitted. "I prefer to stand back and take pictures," she told him. "So, what do you say you hit the slopes and I can take some pictures of you?" she suggested.

"I got a better idea," Kevin told her, grabbing her camera from her hands, earning a yell from Anya, who didn't like the idea of her camera not being in her possession. "You're going to do the snowboarding today, and I'm going to do the picture taking," he smiled at her.

"Kevin, no," Anya said, shaking her head. "I don't snowboard."

"You've never snowboarded?" Mason questioned with a raised eyebrow, not really believing what she was telling him. "Danny's your brother, and you've never snowboarded?"

"I've snowboarded, just not in about ten years, and never well enough to stay on my board for more than two seconds," she admitted before turning back towards Kevin. "Now can I please have my camera back?" she asked, reaching her hands out towards him.

"Nope," Kevin shook his head, holding his hands above his head, the camera out of her reach. "Scotty will help you," he added, nodding his head in Scotty's direction, where Scotty wasn't paying any attention to what Kevin was saying. "Right, Scotty?" Kevin called out, and Scotty lifted his head up at the mention of his name.

"Huh?" he asked.

"You're going to help Anya out snowboarding so I can take some pictures of her," Kevin explained.

"Why Scotty?" Anya questioned, and she could see a small look of disappointment in Scotty's eyes that she didn't want him to help her, though that look quickly disappeared as Scotty looked towards Kevin to see what his answer was going to be.

"It's between Scotty and Mason at this moment," he told her, motioning towards the two men. "I'd have Mase help you, but something tells me instead of helping you stay up, he'd push you down the mountain. Scotty may mess with you a bit, but he's not going to break any of your bones," he said with a laugh.

Anya couldn't help but nod in agreement. "And, why exactly do I need to snowboard?"

"So I can take pictures of you, of course. I want to see what it's like to live in Anya Davis's shoes for a day," he said. "Now go, and Scotty will take you to the shop to get you some gear and then he can help you stay up for five seconds so I can get some good shots of you," he said, pushing her in the direction of the shop, making sure Scotty followed her.

"This is stupid," Anya muttered under her breath.

"What?" Scotty asked. "Snowboarding itself or having to work with me while doing it?" he questioned with a smile.

"Snowboarding," Anya answered. "I don't get why Kevin is doing this. I don't snowboard for a reason. I like being behind the camera. I don't like being on a snowboard," she told him.

"It's just one more thing that Kevin can prove that he's good at. It's a new challenge for him to accomplish," Scotty explained. "I kind of like his idea, actually," he told her just as the reached the entrance to the store.

"Why?" Anya inquired as Scotty opened the door for her, and they walked into the warm building.

"Because now I can put my hands all over you without the guys thinking it's weird. They'll just think I'm trying to keep you upright," he smirked, while Anya rolled her eyes, not that she was unhappy about the part where Scotty put his hands on her. That would actually be the best part of this whole experience.

After getting her fitted and buying all the equipment she would need, Anya and Scotty made their way back to the top where the others were waiting, now accompanied by Keir and Danny. "So, you're trying snowboarding again?" Danny asked her, and Anya nodded reluctantly, not really wanting to talk about it anymore. "I never thought I'd see the day," Danny continued.

"Huh?" Mason asked, looking over at Danny, hoping for some elaboration.

"Shut up, Danny," Anya said through gritted teeth. "Let's just get this over with so that Kevin can take his stupid pictures and I can get my camera back."

"Whenever you're ready," Kevin told her, holding the camera up, while Scotty put the snowboard down in front of her and helped her strap her boots in. He held her hand as he took her to the edge of the hill, a smaller one he had specifically chosen because of its height, but it was still big enough to scare Anya. "Hold on!" Kevin called out. "Let me get down to the bottom so that I can get the shots!" he told them. "C'mon guys," he added, motioning for the rest of them to follow him, and they all began racing to the bottom of the hill.

"You want to tell me what you didn't want Danny to say?" Scotty asked as he put the helmet they had just bought on her head.

"No," Anya said simply.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Scotty asked.

"No."

"You know you don't have to," Scotty told her, tightening the strap to make sure the helmet was on properly

"Yeah, and I'll never get my camera back from Kevin," she muttered. "Just tell me how we're going to do this. You just going to give me a push and I fall down the mountain?" she asked without a hint of amusement in her voice.

"You want to do this together?" he asked her.

"Huh?" she asked, looking up at him. "How?" she questioned.

Scotty didn't reply right away, but instead walked a few feet away and grabbed his own snowboard and helmet, throwing the helmet on his head and bringing the snowboard back and setting it right in front of Anya. "We'll go down together," he said, strapping his boots into the snowboard.

"I'm confused," Anya told him.

"You'll see," Scotty said with a lopsided smile. "Give me your hands," he said, and she did as she was told, holding out her hands and Scotty put them in his own. "Ready?" he asked her.

"Not really," she admitted.

"On three," he said, staring into her eyes. "One…two…three…" he counted, pushing off on the last number and pulling her down the hill with him. They could hear the guys cheering Anya on as they went down the hill, and they were doing pretty well up until halfway down the hill when Anya started getting wobbly.

"Scotty!" she yelled as she felt her hands slip out of his and she began tumbling down the hill, landing a few feet away from the guys at the bottom.

"Fuck! Anya!" everyone heard Scotty scream as he changed his route and snowboarded towards her. By the time he reached her, the other guys had surrounded her and he couldn’t see Anya moving. He quickly unstrapped himself from his board and ran over to her. "Anya?" he asked.

"Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!" he heard her shouting over and over again as she held her left arm.

"Anya, you've got to get up so we can take you to the doctor," Danny told her, but he wasn't sure if he heard her since she was yelling so loudly from the pain. "C'mon Anya," he said, trying to get behind her and lift her up. Kevin had already taken her snowboard off of her feet and now was trying to help her stand up.

"God, Anya," Scotty began, but he didn't really know what to say.

"Who's car's closest?" Keir asked.

"My truck's at the shack," Scotty said, referring to a small snowboarding store not too far away.

"Take her to the hospital, Scotty," Keir instructed. "We'll meet you there," he added, and Scotty nodded, trying to lead Anya towards his truck, while the rest of the guys walked in the opposite direction towards their vehicles.

"Wait!" Anya suddenly exclaimed, immediately stopping in her tracks. "My camera! I want my camera!" she was whining like a little kid at this point, but she didn't really care. "Kevin has it still," she told Scotty.

"Okay, wait here," he told her, running back towards the guys. "Kev!" he called out, and Kevin turned around, wondering what was wrong. "She wants her camera back," he told him, holding out his hand for Anya's most prized possession.

Kevin started laughing. "The girl could have a broken arm right now, and she's most concerned about her camera."

"You don't know her and her photography," Danny told him as they began walking once again.

Scotty turned back around and jogged towards Anya, handing her her camera, which she mumbled a quick thank you for as she clutched it as they continued their trek to Scotty's truck. The ride to the hospital was fairly quiet, except for Anya's curses every once in a while when Scotty would hit a bump, causing her extreme pain.

Scotty quickly made his way to the hospital, having been there on multiple occasions for himself and for the other guys. In fact, a lot of the staff knew him by name, and they greeted him when he walked inside with Anya. "Scotty Lago, what did you do to yourself this time?" one of the older nurses said jokingly with a smile on her face.

"Not me this time, Mary," he shook his head. "My friend Anya here actually hurt herself. Well, I guess you could say I hurt her," he added.

"Why don't you come over here, Anya, and you can fill out some papers, and then we can get you back and see what's going on," Mary told her, leading her to some seating and handing her a clipboard with papers and a pen.

Anya grabbed them and tried to write, but all she felt was pain shooting down her hand. "Damn being left handed!" she said.

"Here," Scotty said, taking the clipboard from her. "Full name?" he asked.

"Anya Marie Davis," she muttered, feeling helpless that she couldn’t even fill out the paperwork on her own.

"Birthdate?"

"December 12, 1989," she answered.

"Hey, that's a month after mine!" Scotty said excitedly. "Granted, I was born two years earlier, but still," he smiled, and Anya rolled her eyes at him. "You know, this would be great for a first date. You know, fill out a questionnaire or something. You could learn so much about a person from just having them answer some simple questions. You know, birth date, full name, where they were born," he rambled.

"Scotty!" Anya interrupted him. "My arm is killing me. Can we please get back to the task at hand?" she begged.

"Oh right!" Scotty said, looking back down at the forms.

Twenty minutes later, all the forms were filled out, and the two of them were sitting in a room, waiting for a doctor to come in. Apparently since Anya wasn't bleeding profusely, her injury wasn't considered an emergency, and the doctor could skip over her to go to other patients first, which was frustrating her to no end.

"Tell me the truth," Scotty spoke up. "How much do you hate me right now?" he asked her.

"Huh?" she asked, looking over at him. "What are you talking about?"

"For putting you in this situation right now," he clarified.

"You didn't do anything," Anya rolled her eyes. "I should have just said no when Kevin started this whole stupid thing."

"Why do you hate snowboarding so much?" he asked her.

"I don't hate snowboarding," Anya told him. "I mean, my brother snowboards. I photograph snowboarders all the time. I love the sport."

"Okay, let me clarify. Why do you hate snowboarding yourself?"

"You really want to know?"

"Yeah," Scotty nodded.

"Fine, when I was ten," she began before there was a knock on the door and the doctor came walking in, causing Scotty to sigh, and lean back in his chair, wondering what had happened to Anya ten years ago to cause her to hate snowboarding herself. He couldn't imagine a life without snowboarding, and he couldn't think of anything that would make him want to quit.

But, he couldn't think about it now. Instead, he focused his attention on the doctor to see just how badly Anya was hurt.
♠ ♠ ♠
You all thought I had abandoned this story, didn't you?
Nope, I just took a little break.
Hopefully updates will come sooner now!