We'll Still Have Each Other

The One Where There's Boxing

Anya sat on the couch in the living room, flipping through the yellow pages of the telephone book that she had found hidden in the back of a cabinet in the kitchen. "Hey," Jack said, sitting down on the couch next to her, with Kevin following him, sitting down on the other side of Anya. "We have one of those?" Jack inquired, pointing to the phone book, wrinkling his nose up in confusion.

"They still make those?" Kevin asked. "I thought everyone just used the internet now to look up phone numbers," he shrugged, while Anya laughed at his reaction. "What are you looking for?" he asked, leaning over, trying to read what was on the page she was glancing at.

Anya shut the phone book, looking up. "I know this is going to sound kind of weird, but do you know where I can find someplace to box?" she asked.

"Like professional boxing?" Jack asked.

"Like a boxing gym," she clarified, resulting in bemused expressions from both men.

"You want to box?" Jack questioned.

"Don't act so surprised. I actually box when I'm at home. I started out doing it to work out, but then I grew to just love being able to punch things," Anya laughed. "Any idea where I can go?" she asked hopefully.

"You should've asked Scotty," Kevin told her. "He has a place he goes to box. I can't remember where exactly it's at," he said.

"I couldn't find anyplace in the phone book," Anya shrugged.

"Well, Anya, let me welcome you to the wonderful world of the twenty-first century," Kevin said, standing up and walking to the corner of the room, grabbing something. "Here, we have this wonderful, new thing called a laptop and the internet. It's fantastic!" he said sarcastically.

"Shut up!" Anya laughed, punching him in the arm.

"Ow!" Kevin cried. "You really do know how to box, don't you?" he asked, while Jack laughed at the two of them.

"Just find me the place, please," Anya requested.

Kevin typed something into the search engine, while Jack asked, "So, you box?"

"I think we've already addressed that," Anya laughed at his expression, which was a mix between shock and envy. "Yes, I box. I have for about two years now. What about you?"

"Nope," Jack shook his head. "But, maybe I'll start now," he smirked.

"Here you go," Kevin said, jotting an address down on the back of a receipt that was sitting on the side table next to him and handing it to Anya. "They say they're open from six in the morning til ten at night," he added.

"Thanks, Kev," she smiled at him. "I think I'm just going to go change and then head out there," she told him and Jack, standing up and walking up the stairs. She quickly changed into her workout clothes, which consisted of a sports bra and a pair of yoga pants, and threw on a sweatshirt on top of it before grabbing her winter jacket and heading back down the stairs, seeing Kevin and Jack sitting exactly where they had been when she had left.

"See you guys later," she called out, walking out the door. Twenty minutes later, she arrived at the boxing gym, practically giddy at the thought of being able to punch a bag for a little while. She made her way inside, talking to the people at the front door, explaining that she was just there for a quick workout, and they led her to the back where there were several punching bags lined up on one side of the room with three boxing rings on the other side. Two were being occupied, and the third was empty, and they told her that if she found a partner, she was more than welcome to use the last ring.

She thanked them, slipping off her coat and taking off her sweatshirt, putting them in a locker they had showed her previously. She tied her hair back into a ponytail as she walked back to an empty punching bag.

She got into her stance, giving the bag two quick jabs before reaching out, trying to steady the bag. She repeated her actions three more times before she glanced around at the other people in the room. Her eyes widened a bit when she saw Scotty a few bags down, punching a bag that was being held by another man.

He was wearing a white wife beater, and Anya found herself staring at him for a few minutes, surprised by how well he was punching. She slowly made her way over there, keeping her eyes on him the entire time. "Well, look who we have here, the great Scotty Lago," she announced, trying to keep the smile off her face as he stopped what he was doing, turning to look at her.

"Anya Davis," he smirked. "What are you doing here?" he asked her.

She glanced down at her clothes and then held up her hands that were still clad in boxing gloves. "Um, I'm here to box," she told him in an obvious tone.

"You weren't kidding when you said you boxed?" Scotty asked in a surprised tone.

"No, you idiot," Anya laughed. "Is it that hard to believe that I box? Jack seemed surprised by it, too," she told him.

"When did you and Jack talk about you boxing?"

"What? You jealous?" she asked with a knowing smile. Scotty tried to backtrack and explain himself but Anya cut him off. "Chill, I was trying to find a boxing gym this morning, and he and Kevin saw me and helped me out, giving me the name of this place," she explained. "But, back to you being shocked that I box," she said.

"I just don't picture you as a boxer," Scotty told her.

"I'm damn good at boxing," she said proudly.

"I'm sure you are," Scotty said, obviously not believing her.

"You know what," she said with a smile, glancing back at the empty boxing ring. "Why don’t you see for yourself? Let's have a little match."

"I can't box you, Anya."

"Why not? Scared I'm going to hurt your pretty little face?" she asked him teasingly.

"You're on," Scotty said.

"Good," Anya smirked, making her way over to the ring. "Let's make this a little more interesting," she said, turning back around towards Scotty. "If I win, you take me out on a date."

"What?" Scotty questioned loudly. "Danny would kill me."

"What?" Anya asked. "You're so sure that I'm a terrible boxer, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about," she shrugged. "If you win, I'll lay off of you, stop trying to hook up with you."

"Deal," Scotty nodded. "So, how are we doing this? Real boxing rules?" he asked.

"Nah," Anya shook her head. "First one to lay five hits on the other one wins. No kicking, no biting, no foul play."

Scotty thought about her rules for a minute. "Okay, let's go," he said, stepping into the ring, even holding the top line up to let Anya crawl through, too.

"Look at you, being a gentleman and all," she told him. "Don't think that means I'm going easy on you. Because I fully intend on winning this," she said, heading to her corner of the ring. "Wait a second, who's going to be the judge?" she asked. "I don't want you saying that I cheated or anything," she told him.

"Michael!" Scotty called out, and one of the trainers that worked at the gym made his way over to the ring. "Feel like judging this for us?" he asked, explaining the rules to Michael.

"Sure thing," Michael told him. "You guys ready?" he asked, and both Scotty and Anya nodded after putting their headgear on. "Okay, first one to get five hits on the other one wins. Go!"

They made their way towards each other, both holding their arms up like expert boxers. Anya was the first to get a quick jab into Scotty's side, and Michael announced that she was leading one to nothing. She got another jab in before Scotty got three in right in a row.

"Okay, Lago's ahead three to two right now. Let's see what you're made of, Anya," Michael cheered her on, and Scotty glanced in Michael's direction, allowing Anya to have a free shot at him, tying the score up.

"Damn it," Scotty muttered, but he quickly took back the lead, getting a punch into her stomach, causing Anya to stumble backwards a bit. But, she wasn't down and out just yet, as the punch only made her more determined to get her last two hits in before Scotty won.

As Scotty tried to make contact with her, she ducked below his fist, hitting him in the side. "Four-four," Michael announced. "Next one to get a hit in wins!"

"Let's see what you've got, Anya," Scotty challenged her, and without a second thought, she swung her arm, hitting him right in the jaw, which fortunately for him, was protected by his headgear.

"And, that's Anya with the win!" Michael called out, as Anya raised her hands in victory, while Scotty took his headgear off, a look of shock written on his face.

"You can take me out tomorrow night," she smirked at him, stepping out of the ring and taking her headgear off, while getting congratulated by everyone in the gym who had been watching the challenge.
♠ ♠ ♠
And, they're finally going out on a date!
Any predictions as to what's going to happen?

Oh, and updates might come a bit slower. I start back to work tomorrow. I'm hoping to keep quick updates, but I can't promise it. Just thought I'd warn you!