Status: Maybe.....

Huntress

Chapter 3

Forks, Washington was a small town, more quiet than Alex had expected. She had decided it was in her best intrest to plant herself here, a few miles from the reservation from where she was sure the "werewolves" held their residence. She had spent the bulk of the past month researching, finding all that she could to assist her on her mission. Mostly it consisted of Native American legends and newspaper clippings of people claiming to have seen what they "could've sworn was a wolf, but it was too big, like a bear". It was enough to start her search and observation.

The past few days, in particular, had been spent setting up lodging, planting stories, and making a history for herself to make her presence in the area as unnoticable as possible. In many aspects, this was the most important part of her observation. If her cover is blown, it would defeat her entire purpose, and possibly endanger other Hunters, as well.

For lodging, Alex found a simple one-room house about a half mile outside the city limits, where there were still a few houses, but nothing too close. She needed privacy but not so much that people asked too many questions. Then again, in these kinds of towns, everyone asks questions when someone new comes around.

She had found a basically meaningless job at a local fuel station, running the register. It allowed her to meet the locals and hear the gossip; it was always important to see and hear what is going on in ones surroundings when observating, and knowing people meant hearing a lot.

So when Alex rolled into town in her recently purchased but used '93 Ford Explorer, she was as prepared as she could be.

Her first stop was at the station to talk to the manager about her new job. The fuel pumps were empty when she pulled into the parking lot, but it was a Sunday, and most people don't get around on Sundays. A bell on the door rung out as she opened it and entered the building, which she found empty.

"Hello?" She called out. After a few moments, she heard someone shuffling around in the back room and then emerge from a door behind the counter. The woman stood about 5'2" and was a bit on the pudgy side. She looked to be somewhere in her mid-forties and had a kind face that looked almost grandmotherly if she would have been about 10 years older. She smiled when she saw Alex.

"I'm so sorry, I was catching up on inventory and I didn't hear the bell." She took a deep breath to gather herself. "What can I do for you, dear?"

"Actually, I need to talk to the manager. I called about a week ago, about a job? I just got into town and I wanted to make sure everything was still ok."

"Oh, you must be Alexandria! Bill had to run out of town but he told me you would be coming today. I'm Darla Brant." Darla extended her hand accross the counter towards Alex, who took it.

After a small chat with Darla, going over the rules and handing Alex her work schedule, Alex left to go see the house she would be staying in and get set up. It was about a five minute drive from the gas station so it didn't take long before she was unloading boxes and suitcases from the Explorer.

It wasn't a large house; in fact, it was quite small. The kitchen and living area were practically the same room. The bathroom was just large enough to accomodate a standing sink, toilet, and bathtub. Narrow, circular stairs ascended to the small loft bedroom that covered half the space below, and remained open to the rest. It was evident that the house was built for a single occupant.

There weren't many boxes, just what could be fit into the car, but once they were all within the house, Alex decided the initial unpacking could wait. She sat herself down on the single piece of furniture in the living room, and old-but-still-in-decent-shape couch. From the box at her feet she pulled out a notebook, which she opened to reveal her notes she had scribbled down for the mission. Only the first few pages were used, as of yet.

A few loose sheets were stuck just inside the back cover, which she pulled out and unfolded. She laid the map of the area surrounding her humble abode on her lap and studied it. There were a few houses to either side of hers, but none behind. The expanse of forest stretched on until, at one of its edges, it came to the La Push Reservation. The reservation where she was certain her wolves were awaiting her observation. It was still a few miles, yet, but Alex knew that the better she knew those woods, the better chance she had of going undetected; and, perhaps, they would provide a better defense if it turned awry.

So, with that in her mind, Alex decided to go for a run.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I was trying to get back into the whole "Twilight mood", but I don't own any of the movies and only one of the books which my sister still has, so I did the next best thing: I watched Vampire's Suck. It worked, so hell.

Hope you enjoy, I will attempt to add a chapter each week, but don't hold your breath.

Check out my poems, tell me what you think.

-Rachelle