Keep the Faith

Jade Soldiers

There once was a brave emperor called Blossomed-Tree.
And Blossomed-Tree was a good-hearted man so the gods gave him luck and fortune. They also gave him a big family with many many beautiful daughters and brave sons to look after him and to hear his wise advice whenever he wanted to give it. In long winter nights they all sat, hundredths and hundredths of children, in the holy garden and listened to Blossomed-Tree's tales.

Only one thing bothered Blossomed-Tree's many sons and daughters: whenever one of them made a mistake or did the wrong thing, their father would ordered a tall jade statue of a soldier to be made. And the beautiful statues were then put inside the palace or in the garden so that the emperor could see one of them at all times. Not only the emperor saw them, but the shiny jade eyes of the statues followed his many children everywhere and under the demanding still look the sinners felt guilty for their sins.

One day an other emperor, even more rich and gifted than Blossomed-Tree came into the country with thoughts of taking Blossomed-Tree's throne. He was rich and bought the old emperor's servants, then his many wives, and eventually the evil man bought the souls of most of this children. Just a few younger ones, still naïve and without lust for money, staid faithful to their father.

The traitors decided to kill the old emperor at the break of day when he was too tired to fight back after a long night of studying and praying in the holy garden. They cowardly stabbed him under the red lights of early day as he was peacefully meditating in the tall grass, his look fixed on one of the many jade soldiers.

After the death of the wise emperor, his country fell apart. The new ruler was a weak man and quickly spent all his fortune and fled, leaving the country to the few faithful sons and daughters of Blossomed-Tree. The traitors ran away too, most of them dieing in disgrace and misery.

An other day however, one of the wise sons wanted to sell some of the jade sculptures to buy grains for the harsh winter that was coming. He looked at the old soldier and remembered how many times his burning look made him feel so guilty, but when he moved the majestic statue he noticed a small inscription on the right side of the soldier's chest where his jade heart must have laid:
''For you child of me, for I love you most deeply.''

Mistakes make us realize how much we love the people around us. Mistakes make us love the people around us. Our heroes make mistakes, they disobey or chose the wrong path, but we should build those mistakes into beautiful jade hearts so we'll never forget them, so we'll never forget our love and our faith.
Never forget your faith. Keep the faith.