Keep the Faith

Earthquake

He was silently creeping the dirty halls of the mansion they had voluntarily decided to call their home for a few months.

By now he regretted that choice more than ever before.

They had thought it was what they needed to grow stronger, bigger. Better.

Yet it was doing nothing but tear them apart in the most bloody, painful way you could think of. As a band, and each individual on his own was having his limbs pulled out, bone by bone, muscle by muscle.

He was pretty damn sure he hated everyone’s guts by now, everyone in this band and their crew. He loathed them so badly. Every single one of them was such a motherfucking motherfucker.

Expect for that one man. His kid brother. He was only one who still meant everything to Gerard, except for she, who had passed away what seemed centuries ago.

But his kid brother was out there, somewhere. His kid brother who had so often been the eldest one. He was out there somewhere.

Dying.

He had often shown to be stronger than his big brother, but now Gerard realized that he hadn’t been able to save his little brother from himself. Mikey hadn’t always succeeded in saving Gerard from himself either, but one way or another, it had always been his kid brother that stopped Gerard, whether Mikey realized it or not.
Both of them were well trained in the wonderful art of bottling up. It nearly seemed a genetic design.

He smashed his fist into the wall, creating a loud thud that echoed through the awful mansion.

“Shut the fuck up!” someone yelled angrily across the house.

“Shut the fuck up yourself, dickhead!” he snarled back to the voice, frustrated beyond belief about everything.
He huffed, growled, and then set his body into movement.

He ran, ran through every corridor. His body couldn’t keep up with his legs, making him nearly stumble constantly.

He ran the life out of himself, until he let himself crash into a wall.

As his head crashed against the floor after a rough collision with the wall, Gerard realized something more clearly than before.

“My brother’s dying,” he said to himself. “My brother’s fucking dying, out there destroying himself and all I’m motherfucking doing is hurting everyone mentally and myself physically. Just like my dear little brother.” He paused.
“What the fuck am I doing?!” he yelled, realizing the error of his ways.

Every bone, every fibre of his body ached so badly, making him feel like he was dying from the pain, but Gerard pushed his back against the wall as a support to stand up again. He forced his legs to run as fast as they had only moments before again, only this time with a different goal.

Stumbling, he burst through the front door as he ran onto the street.

“Mikey! I love you, Mikey!” Gerard yelled desperately, running over the concrete. He repeated the same sentence time and time again as he took the trail he knew all too well. “I love you, Mikey! I love you!”

Reaching his destiny, Gerard sank to his knees. “Mikey,” he softly whimpered, his voice worn out from screaming. “I love you…”

His hand lowered to the earth, slowly caressing the green grass that knew nothing of what was going on, that never knew anything of the world, really. It just grew, even when the world had stopped turning a while ago.

“Gerard,” someone sadly whispered, as he sank to Gerard’s level, slightly hugging the broken man. “Mikey’s gone, Gerard.”

“No!” Gerard cried out, determined to deny what had been said. “He's not!”
A quiet sob followed, as he tried to hold back the tears that were burning behind his eyes. “He’s not gone, Bob. He’s not,” he tried again, but as he finished, his eyes met his brother’s gravestone. Tears started to spill, each one finding its salty way down Gerard’s face.

“He couldn’t watch you being eaten away, Gerard. He couldn’t just stand there and watch them push his hero into self-destruction again. He’d had enough. All of us have.”