Keep the Faith

Quiet

I stood alone outside the concert hall. Around me I could see peices of confetti and debri scattered throughout the empty parking lot, decorating the asphalt as if it were a punk-rock canvas, graffiti on the walls and abandoned cars manning their posts. I closed my eyes; I could feel my eyeliner crusting over my lashes, making them sting. I didn't want to move, I probably couldn't if I tried. The faint sound of distant sirens shook against my eardrums and the cool, crisp wind blew against my face and through my auburn hair as if angels were blowing kisses. I sighed, and opened my eyes again.

And then I saw him.

He was running, and I could hear him sobbing when the wind subsided. Instantly my mind registered who he was. I ran after him; my teeth were clenched and my fists were pounding against the air, willing myself to go faster.

I wasn't going to let him surrender.

He turned a corner too quickly and suddenly slipped, sending him downwards, crashing onto his side. I stopped just as abruptly and winced in sympathy. He got up again, stumbling, and I shouted his name, once more beginning to run. This time he wasn't so far away.

"No, no," He sobbed, falling against the fence standing behind him. "No, stop - I -"

"Gerard," I repeated calmly as he slowly slid down. "Gerard, please -"

"No!" He shouted again, letting his head fall back. "I let them down! I let you down! I didn't mean to, but I did! It's gone. I... I lost it."

I stared at him. A single tear trailed along my right cheekbone, hot with fury.

"No."

"What?" He asked, looking up, eyebrows pulled together.

My teeth clenched together so tight I thought they would shatter. "It's not gone."

He looked like he didn't know what I was talking about. "What, exactly?" He questioned, fighting the short, choppy gasps.

"The faith."

His face fell.

"Gerard, I don't know what hell might be putting you through, but so many people love you. All five of you. You're talented, you're beautiful, and you've saved my life so many times... when the world was against me. Gerard, please understand. You are loved. People do believe. It's not gone. I swear. Keep faith in yourself like we've kept faith in you."

He looked down again.

"Gerard?"

Then his eyes darted up quickly.

"You don't know who I am, but I love you."

He sighed, eyes falling once more. "I love you too. All of you."

I smiled and sat down, crossing my legs. I turned my gaze to the sky; a scape of glittering black that seemed to protect us, and I wondered if those angels were still there.

"What are you doing?"

"Shh." I told him. "It's amazing what you can hear when everything's quiet."

So he looked up, and with the reflection of the stars sparkling in his eyes, with the spontaneous breeze rushing through his long, black hair and the streetlights making his fading tears glow... For the first time tonight I could see that smile that I knew was always there, the smile that always kept faith, the smile that made everything chaotic and awful and corrupt melt before our eyes. And in that moment... all that remained was quiet.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy birthday, Hero.