Keep the Faith

Sparrow

A pastel curtain draped across the morning sky as the sun peeked up through the mountains before it. The waking, summer scent clung to the warm breeze. Stray sparrows chirped around the parking lot, foraging through the liter that scattered over the surface of the pavement. His onyx hair shaded his face from the sunrays that begun to protrude through the breaks in the trees – his hair waving in the summer draft.

Everything was so peaceful and impeccable – it plagued him.

A sudden squeak from behind him yanked the birds’ black, beady eyes to the figure behind him. The clicking of shoes on pavement made the flock of fowl take flight in the quiet atmosphere; venturing to a new portion of the large, empty parking lot. On his shoulder, he felt a hand just as lengthy and strong as his.

“We’re leaving in five,” the voice of his younger sibling rung in his ears.

The hand left its perch on his shoulder, and the sound of shoes clicked again; along with the usual squawk of the door. His fatigue body rose up from the cement curb that outlined the deserted parking lot. Unaware, his legs drug across the parking lot towards the birds that had shunned him after his bother’s intrusion. As he walked towards them, he noticed that not even one had bothered to glance up at him – they were indulging themselves into something much more interesting than the outside world surrounding them.

He grew closer getting quick glimpses of what they were squawking over. A smaller bird was in the center of the circle, and other birds were attacking it and soon spurning it from the group as they began to eat whatever they had found. The weak bird hobbled away from the group with its wing dragging out to its side – he followed it. Its chest began to heave as it stop to stare at the open venue; chirping frequently for someone to come and help fend for him, but not a single bird from the flock of sparrows noticed his useless calls.

And for some strange reason, he could relate to this little bird. Like the bird, many just because of a simple flaw – for example, a broken wing the sparrow possessed, abandoned him. The sparrow was given up on just as he had been some many times before. However, the little bird hadn’t given up the will to go on without them. Instead, it kept searching for remaining food in the vacant lot without the help of the others. Suddenly, he had become inspired and for the first time in months, he felt the numbness of his body fade away and no longer felt empty inside.

“I know how you feel; pushed aside because of who you aren’t. I may not know how the animal world works, but I know is relatively close to human life and I know that you probably have two times the heart than them,” he spoke to the bird as if it were another human.

The bird just looked at him through the twinkling black beads for eyes.

“And I know it’s bizarre that I’m talking to an animal, and relating to one, but for some reason you made me realize that no matter what others do, just keep going because it doesn’t really matter,” he said and was replied with a chirp from the injured sparrow.

He watched as the little bird shambled away from him into the distance of the scene. The soft wind began to blow again, tumbling in his ebony hair – a blanket of clouds hovered over him as he whispered into the wind,

“And I find it so cruel to judge someone or something because of one fault they hold, when really, behind the flaw or flaws they are as grand as gold.”