Keep the Faith

They Simply haven't Listened

It was the day after the biggest night of my life, I was riding in the backseat of a car with my best friend sitting in the seat in front of me and her sister's ex-boyfriend, Drew, sitting in the driver's seat. My best friend and I could not stop talking about the previous night's events.

"And then they played Helena, which was so beautiful, and then they left. So then, we found a guy who worked at the venue and told him that MCR told us to give it to them..."
"Wait," Drew said "give what to them?"
"Keep the Faith!" Jasmin retorted giddily.
"Oh, that book."
"Yeah! So anyways, after we explained to him that it was the second part of a book of inspiring collections for the band of which they'd already received and read the first, he took the book backstage and gave it to their manager! So we're sure they have to have it by now, and come to think of it, he might have given it to them right away, which may have been the reason why they didn't come out and sign autographs last night. They were probably busy reading it!"
"Why are you guys writing stuff for them," Drew asked.
"Beacause," Jasmin said in a monotone and slightly annoyed voice as if it should be quite obvious to anyone who knew here, "they inspired us, so now it's our turn. It's really cool to know that they care about us."
"You honestly think they care about you?"
"Yeah!"
"I mean, of course they appreciate their fans. Without them, they wouldn't make money."
"It's not about the money for them."
"How do you know?"
"Because they've said it."
"Of course they have; that's what every band says. It's not like they're going to say that they don't care about their fans, but the truth is, they really don't care about the individuals. They're a band, Jasmin, that's how they are."


Stop!
I had been listening to this conversation with so many of those keep the faith stories like it running through my head. I never actually believed that people could say such things. The worse thing I'd ever heard was "Eh, I don't like MCR, they're too emo for me."

Look, I know that when people say those kinds of things, and when Drew said what he did, it's not because they hate them, I mean - it could be, but most of the time that's not the case - it's just that they don't understand. They haven't taken the time to listen to the five guys' back stories; they haven't taken the time to listen to those heart-wrenching and awe-inspiring lyrics of every single one of their songs; they simply haven't listened.