Keep the Faith

Believe

There he was. Standing up strong and tall on the marble pillar we had all placed him upon.

She slightly tilted her head back to look catch a glimpse of him. Brushing her dark fringe away which had fallen into her eyes, just to bask in his glory. Her other hand shielding the suns glare from her auburn eyes as he stood proudly above her, his hands placed proudly on his hips in an heroic gesture and bathed in a bright glowing light. As if he was something out of this world.

Hundres of others stood around her, each and every one worshipping this single man who they’d turned into a god in their eyes. Some waiting for his next heroic move so that they could all admire and adore him. While others...others, waited for him to slip up and make a mistake. This one man had brought hope to the people who stood around her, and he brought her hope.

And the harsh reality of it all? He was just another human being. An innocent man who had been placed upon this pillar by his admiring onlookers. Braving the elements like the strong man he was. The man that dealt with issues that so many of his on lookers could never understand. He was a walking talking action hero, as if he'd just stepped straight out of a comic book. And as the harsh wind whipped itself around his dark locks of hair, causing it to dance around his angelic head- she just had to admire him. He had taught her to be strong, to believe that she could be anything she wanted and that life was worth living. That’s why he was her hero. He taught he to believe.

A nagging thought lingered at the back of her mind, distracting her from her fouce. The reality of it all was, that he was just like her. He bled, be cried, and what if he was to give up his ongoing struggle against the unfairness of life? Would he still be a hero? That thought scared her to death.

That's when the wind began to pick up, causing her own hair to dance madly with its rhythmic blowing, and then that's when it happened. He came falling back to earth like a magnents drawn to eachother. His body pulled harshly back towards the onlookers underneath by the gravity that was unavoidable. Plumetting too his death, crashing to the ground with a loud bang as his onlookers stared in horror.

Whispers began to pick up through the crowd that gathered around his weak body, joining the winds song. Harsh words spoken in low and judgemental tones, tainting his image as his onlookers began to turn away.

“He was never a hero.” One would say.

“What a fake” Another would answer, but no one went to help him. They watched. They watched his unconcious body lay limply on the ground. Some hero he was to them.

She stood in horror, watching this man she had called her hero lay limply on the ground. Brought back to earth by the harsh elements of life, and the pressure of gravity. The only difference between him and her now, was that people would judge him because he’d made himself known- and it had been what broke him down in the end.

Now all his admirers could do was glare down at him, expecting him to open his heavy eyes and climb back up onto that towering pillar. To be the man they all expected him to be- he didn't move.

Other bodies began to move, turning away and marching in the opposite direction while the crowd began to diminish as more and more people gave up on him. Turning away to go and find some other "hero" so that they could bask in their supreme glory.

“Weakling.” They would call him as they passed. Kicking his exhausted body which lay in the dark earth below their feet until finally, his large crowd of admirers was reduced to a tiny following of the few people who still had faith.

“I believe in you.” She whispered, unavoidable tears filling her eyes as she rushed towards his body and began tugging at his arms wishing he'd answer by waking up and smiling at her.

“I’ll always believe in you.” She shook his shoulders, trying desperately to get a response as salty tears escaped her eyes and roll their way down her flustered cheeks. If anyone needed a hero, it was her.

The few others left around her, joined her at his side. Sad tears filling their own clouded eyes. Wanting to help him, but could do nothing but watch him lay in the dust and the dirt.

How could people call him their hero, but then give up and leave when the going got tuff? Or when he fell from grace and landed helplessly at their feet?

“Please, show us some sign that you are still there.” Her quavering voice whispered as she reached towards his hand and grasped it tightly in her own. Her heart screaming out for him to wake up, but the words stuck in her throat.

He was just human, like her. He made mistakes, but just like her, he’d learn from them. She believed in him, even when he was at his weakest point. That’s why he was her hero, and that was why she wouldn't let herself abandon him like so many others had already done when he did finally slip up and fall from the pillar we’d placed him upon. Crashing back to earth in the most devastating show for the entire world to see.

He had saved her, and now she had the chance to return the favour. And if she couldn't save him by means of medicine, she could keep the faith. Her heart refused to let her forget how much she had believed in him.

She knew. She knew that everything would be alright. Deep inside the depths of her beating heart, she knew. So did the others who now gathered around him. Fear and worry etched onto their faces as they waited for him to wake up and be their hero again. Because he would wake up, and he would show them all that he was worthy.

She wouldn’t give up on him.

Never.

Ever.

He had taught her to believe.