Keep the Faith

I Don't Need Your Friends...

As I walked through the street, my muscles were tensed. My shirt bore the words ‘My Chemical Romance’ and - although I loved it - I was starkly aware. I walked passed a boy wearing a similar shirt and relaxed but the break was short lived as he sneered at me.

Love

I finally reached my destination and saw the long line of people already outside the building. As I sat down on the cold floor and leant my back against the wall of the venue, a fellow teenager came up to me and marked my hand with the number ‘41’. I should have gotten here earlier. I settled into the wait and started taking notice of the people around me. Their conversation filling my ears with confusion.
"What’s the betting that he cancels the show?"
"Yeah, we’re probably waiting for nothing."
"I’m going to be so pissed."
"It wouldn’t be surprising though."
"I never said it would."

Belief

I considered the fans words (I’m not sure I could even call them ‘fans’). I decided to speak up, giving them a chance. "What are you talking about?"
"MCR," they replied in unison, as if I was an idiot for even asking. Maybe I was.
"Why though, why would they cancel?"
"Who knows; it could be anything this time."

Understanding

"It’s not their fault when they cancel shows. You know how much they love us; they would never try to hurt us. They can’t help it if they get sick or injured."
"Well, maybe they should be more careful."
"Maybe they should pay us more attention. Grace us with their presence after shows, now and then," another girl smirked.
"Maybe you should make them want to." The girls gave me a look of disgust after the words broke through my lips and I got up, mumbling about needing the toilet. I decided to go scope out the venue, see who was around. As I reached the back of the venue, I saw a line of 15 or so kids waiting. They pressed their bodies against the fence by the venue, silently yearning to be let in, even though they knew it would never happen. I went over and joined them, looking into the parking area of the venue and spotting buses. The pit of my stomach sparked with devotion as I looked at the blacked out windows.

Romanticism

I stayed at the fence for most of the day with the other people. The band never came out to greet us but it didn’t matter. As I sat there, discussing anything and everything about the boys with my fellow fanatics, something clicked inside of me. I realized, after all the rumors and stories that people spread around, it’s not what people make it out to be. The problem doesn’t lie with the thoughts that play on five - or one - men’s minds, simply because the thoughts aren’t playing on their minds but on ours. We make this fan base what it is and we hold our hearts dear. No one can give us what we need or think - that’s up to us. It doesn’t matter whether or not a band graces us with handshakes because they grace us with their presence on stage. They give us more than what everyone is there for, just by being there.
The problems aren’t with them, they’re with us. Even the problems that we do have, they’re miniscule once we start ignoring them. I don’t need your friends, I’ve got my own.

Faith