Keep the Faith

Defeated Nightmares

Go to sleep, hero. Shut your heavy lids as the soft lullaby coos you and let your mind enter the realm of sleep. The hymn chases your demons away and you are finally safe for now. However, when the tender voice changes into a harsh scream, the demons charge back into your once-sweet dreams.

You try to protect yourself from every waking minute of this nightmare by swatting them away. However, the demons never seem to give up their endless battle against you. They corner you as they spew nasty comments about your appearance and how pitiful you really are.

Your throat is raw and bleeding from defending yourself and you can feel the salty tears swell in your eyes. The demons keep digging deeper in your soul and pluck all the right nerves to make you be internally pained. They continue to nag about how your hair looks likes like a mop of black and inform you that you’re nothing.

You try hard not to let a teardrop escape the haven of your eye, but a single tear slips. They start laughing and calling you names as the second one falls. Their endless harassing is finally making you want to scream at them to stop, but the words are lodged deep in your sore throat.

In your attempts to drown them out, you close your eyelids and hope they disappear when you reopen them. Alas, they haven’t budged an inch in the two-second interval. You’re starting to get irritated and you can feel your face heat up a few degrees. Then your body is completely trembling as rage pulses through your veins.

“Stop!” you scream at them to make them stop their insults from being fired out and make them daze into a stare. “Don’t you see? You’re only hurting yourself by doing this.”

They just stare at you blankly – without an expression; almost as if they’ve just been smacked in the face.

“You’re the pathetic ones. Look at you all,” you speak in a clam, gentle tone.

Before you are aware of it, their population has dwindled to a mere five.

“You aren’t getting anywhere with your constant nagging,” you say again only to make four disappear, leaving one to remain before you. “Leave.”

The last one disappears to trigger the soft, sweet lullaby. You’ve defeated the demons…