Keep the Faith

Way

It's lonely where you are
Come back down
And I won't tell them your name…

-The Goo Goo Dolls, Name


&

His is the first one you see in the landscape of faces that has come to welcome you, and your first thought is that is has been too long.

Before another one enters your mind, you feel two short, strong arms latch around your shoulders. You feel Frankie’s weight leaning on you for support and you bite your lip to fight the onslaught of laughter; he’s tiptoeing. He’s still smaller than you, naturally. Did you expect so much to change in less than several months?

He draws back and grins widely, his hair curling around his cheeks, green eyes mischievous and sparkling.

“You’re still a toothpick!” He exclaims, and the comment is so much like him that you can’t help the corners of your lips from curving upwards.

“Leave him alone; you’re still a dwarf,” a deep voice inserted, belonging to one with penetrating blue eyes and a curtain of dirty blond hair. Bob gives you a light punch on the shoulder and a complementary nod.

Ray laughed, his wild hair shaking and moving with the bobbing of his head. “Are we expecting a mini you coming along soon? We gave you enough time to breed!”

They all joined in the laughter, and this feeling of camaraderie that effortlessly settled over you all overwhelmed you, and greetings from Brian, Worm, and the rest of the crew is a barrage of nostalgia and a friendly atmosphere. You’ve spent the last few months with Alicia, your wonderful wife, and you don’t regret it, but you cannot deny that you missed this, missed them, missed the electricity that danced across your skin from the excitement of doing something you love.

The room is small and cozy, but your welcome committee consists of more than just a few people, so it takes you a while to get around without having to exchange a few words or handshakes, and finally, you see him again, sitting quietly in a corner of the room with a glass of white wine and a sad smile.

He raises his hooded hazel eyes to meet your identical ones and his glass at your arrival.

“Finally made it home, huh, brother?”

You had a several replies to that question, but suddenly, there is a lump in your throat and tears in your eyes.

“Gee,” you begin, your tone breaking, and he knows you all too well to set down his glass on the table and outstretch his arms for you to sink into. You waste no time and practically crush him with your embrace, but he doesn’t seem to mind.

You begin to sob silently, and he tries to soothe you, still holding you close.

“I missed you,” you finally say, “I missed you, Gee.” You missed your big brother more than you ever thought possible. But was it really that surprising? He’s been through so much while you were gone; his smiles weren’t as genuine as before, hides his stunning eyes with sunglasses and it’s hard to believe his chin-length dark hair had ever been silver and short; his heart has been severed from his chest and he struggles to survive attacks but comes out a bit more broken than before and many had given up on him as their hero.

You wish you’d been there to catch him, because falling from such a high place would shatter anyone, even the savior of the broken, the beaten and the damned, the twisted angel everyone expects so much from. It would be hard to reset his bones and piece his wings together and at least try to make him appear whole, but it would be the least you can do. For the brother you left when he needed you most.

“Missed you too, Mikes,” he answers, and it sounds like he hasn’t been able to win over his tears as well.

“It’s been too long, without you.”

&
♠ ♠ ♠
The brotherly one.