Poetic Tragedy

We Met In The Emergency Room

Victoria woke up in a hospital bed. It was dark and she could hear the monitors working around her and the other people in the room. She turned her head to one side and the other to take in her surroundings. There were two other beds, only the one at her right was occupied. There was someone sitting in a chair to her left, but they had fallen asleep. She found herself in shock at the fact that someone was actually waiting in that chair for her to wake up. Obviously it wasn’t her mother, her mother didn’t care for her. From what she could see in the almost inexistent light, it was a man. She felt sleep taking over again. She hoped whoever it was sitting it that chair, would still be there the next time she woke up, if she did.

---

The next time she woke up, a nurse was cleaning her arm. She looked up at the nurse, who smiled nicely and finished, covering the wounds with a bandage. Victoria thanked her, as she left. She then noticed the guy who was sitting in the chair last time was still there, looking at her with a worried face. Once again she couldn’t come to believe someone actually cared for her. Since he didn’t seem like he was going to start a conversation with her anytime soon, she decided to do it herself.

“Who are you?” Victoria asked, not really knowing what to say.

“I’m Jake Baine,” he said, smiling to himself. He had fair skin, brown eyes, and very dark hair that reached his jawbone. And he had an amazing smile. “So who are you?” Jake asked her.

“I…” Victoria had a hard time trying not to cry. “I’m Victoria Black,” she finally said, trying not to think about anything. “What are you doing here anyway?” she asked him

His smile was gone the moment she asked “You… I… I found you in the bathroom of a bar, you had passed out and…” He looked down at her arm. He took a deep breath. “I couldn’t let you die like that.” Then he was silent, just looking at Victoria

This guy, Jake Baine, surprised Victoria more than he could ever imagine. She never believed anyone would do anything for her, much less save her life. She never imagined someone would do that for anyone, much less a complete stranger.

“Thanks,” she said to him.

“You’re welcome,” Jake said. “You were in coma for a couple days, the doctor said it was because of some…um, drug you had in your system.” He shifted uncomfortably in his seat, trying not to look at her.

Victoria was feeling rather awkward at talking about her addictions with a complete stranger. There was silence for a few minutes. In that time, Victoria noticed the room was now empty except for the two of them. Why are you still here? Why didn’t you leave me to die like everyone else? Why stay in the hospital with me? Why even bring me here?she thought to herself.

“Why did you do that to yourself?” Jack asked almost shyly, once again his eyes slipping towards her arm.

“Didn’t you read what it said?” she asked, pointing at her arm. When Jake nodded she continued “That’s what I am. I can’t do anything right. No one wants me near them.”

Jake looked at her disbelievingly, but said nothing. “I’ll be back later, I guess. I have to go,” he said smiling at her and exiting the room.

The rest of the day was pretty uneventful except for the doctor checking in on her. He told her to find help leaving drugs, and that she was free to go home that night. By the time Jake came back, Victoria was shaking slightly and anxious from the lack of heroin. She told Jake the doctor gave her the ok to leave the hospital earlier.

“So where are you going? Want me to take you somewhere?” He asked her. “Oh, and I brought your stuff,” he added, nodding towards her bag in the corner.

Victoria decided to try leaving drugs without going to rehab. And she decided to give her mother another chance. “Can you take me to my mom’s?” she asked Jake, taking her bag and swinging it over her shoulder.