Crying On A Saturday Night

Chapter Fourteen

"Charlie, will you make me breakfast?" Jack asked as I sat with him in my lap. It was a Saturday in mid-February, and we were the only ones awake.

"Yeah sure. What do you want me to make?" I asked.

"Erm.... some toast and scrambled eggies," he said, beaming up at me.

"Haha, alright," I smiled down at him, ruffling his hair. He scooted over to the spot next to me and I got up, walking into the kitchen. I heated up the stove and got out the skillet to cook the eggs in. After waiting about five minutes, I cracked two eggs over the skillet and started to scramble them. I popped a few pieces of bread into the toaster once the eggs were done and started to think.

So this was what living was really like.... I had a family; I was part of this family. It was a good feeling to know that this was where I belonged. This was where my heart was. This was my home.

A smile came to my face after the toaster popped the bread up. Brian came into the kitchen as I was buttering Jack's toast, and grabbed a cup of coffee from the pot I'd made about a half hour before.

"Morning Dad," I said as I looked to him.

"Good morning," he replied after taking a sip.

"Is it alright if I go down to the record store in town today?" I asked as I turned my back on the stove.

"Nope. I need you to stay here," he said as he stood there.

"Why?" I asked.

"Cuz. I don't want you to go anywhere," he replied, shortly.

"But I won't take long, I promise. I really wanna get the new September Snow CD," I whined.

"No, you're staying here," he said, and I could tell that was the end of the conversation.

I pouted and uncrossed my arms, setting my hands down behind me for support.

"OWWWW! SHIT!" I screamed as I jumped. I pulled my hand in front of me: I'd set it down on the burner that I forgot to turn off. I felt the tears stinging my eyes as I tried to nurse my hand.

Brian got up and came over to me quickly. "What'd you do, burn yourself?" he asked, and I nodded as I held my hand out in front of me for him to look at.

"...Come here," he said, and pulled my over to the sink. He ran some warm water and pushed my hand under it.

"Owwww..." I whimpered, trying to pull my hand back, but he kept his grip. Then he gently dried my hand off and let go, reaching for this spiny-looking plant on the window sill. He ripped off one of the thick pieces and took my hand again. He squeezed the broken end of the plant and rubbed the juices that came out all along my burnt hand.

"What the hell is that?" I asked.

"Its an aloe plant. Its good for burns," he replied as he finished my hand.

"Thanks."

"No problem."

"So why can't I go downtown?" I whined again as he turned off the burner.

"Because I said so. Cuz I need you to watch Jack while Zacky and I go pick up our new cars," he said.

"You and Zacky got new cars?" I asked curiously. He nodded.

"Yeah, and we gotta go pick them up today."

I sighed. "Alright. When you get back can I go?" I asked.

"Yeah sure. But I gotta go now," he said before he hugged me and walked out the door. I sighed again and took Jack's food into the living room, sitting down on the couch next to him.

I heard the rumble of cars outside, so I knew Brian and Zacky were back. I got up and walked to the front door, leaving Jack in the living room.

I stepped outside and saw this huge black Escalade pull into the driveway. I watched as Brian turned off the car and stepped out of it, walking over to me.

"What do you think?" he asked, gesturing to the Escalade.

"Erm... it's big.. and black? I asked. I wasn't too fond of Escalades. They just weren't my thing.

He chuckled. "So where's Zacky?" I asked.

"Oh, he should be arriving any second now," Brian replied, and stood next to me with his arm slung over my shoulder.

No sooner had he said that than Zacky pulled up on front of the house in the most gorgeous car I'd ever seen in my life: A metallic fire red Eagle Talon TSi Turbo.

My eyes went wide, and then the car shut off and Zacky stepped out, walking up to us.

"Zacky... your car is fucking gorgeous," I said as I continued to stare at the technological beauty in front of me.

"My car?" Zacky asked, and cocked his eyebrow. I nodded my head. "Charlie, that's not my car... It's yours," he said, and I jerked my head so I was looking at him. He had a devilish little smile on his face.

"No way.... you're lying..." I said, feeling utterly speechless.

"No, I'm really not. That beauty right there is your car," Zacky said, holding the keys out to me. I slowly reached out and took them, my mouth hanging open. I looked over at Brian, who was trying to contain his smile.

"You... you b-bought me a car?!" I asked, at a complete loss for words.

"Yes... well, I guess it wasn't completely all me. Zacky paid for some of it."

I just blinked a few times before I engulfed Brian in a hug.

"Thank you SO much..." I said.

"You deserve it. You've made it a long way, and it has paid off," he said. I pulled away and hugged Zacky as well before I dashed over to the car, running my hands over its metallic body. I started jumping up and down, screaming in joy. I had a car. This was MY car.

I looked back to the front door, where my father, Zacky, Michelle, and Jack were all standing. I walked back over to them, the smile on my face threatening to split me in half.

"So... I guess you can go get that CD now," Brian smiled.

"Erm.. I could... But I don't know how to drive, nor do I have my permit," I admitted.

"You're almost 17 and you don't have your permit?" Brian asked, looking bewildered.

"Hey... look at who my mother is..." I said pointedly.

"Ahh good point. I'll get you an appointment to get your permit, and then I'm gonna teach you to drive that beast. How does that sound?" Brian asked with a smile.

"Sounds perfect," I said. I took one last look at the car before we all walked back inside the house.