Crying On A Saturday Night

Epilogue

I felt the bed shift and a small amount of weight rest next to me. I could faintly hear the sounds of the storm still raging outside.

"Charlie..." I heard Jack's voice whisper as he started to lightly shake me.

"Hmm?" I asked in my half-awake stupor.

"I'm scared of the storm." he whimpered again as the thunder boomed above the house. "And mommy and daddy aren't home yet." he continued. I looked over at the clock; it was almost midnight, which meant Brian and Michelle would be home soon.

"Do you want me to come to your room?" I asked, still waking up. He nodded slowly.

"Will you sing to me, Charlie?" he asked shyly. I smiled.

"I'll do whatever you want, okay Jackie?" I said as I got up and grabbed my guitar, taking a hold of Jack's hand and walking to his room. I got him into his bed and tucked him in, giving him a hug and kiss on the cheek.

"I love you Charlie." he said in his small voice before he yawned.

I smiled down at him. "Love you too, bud." I said, and he laid down, getting comfortable. I pulled up the wooden rocking chair next to his bed, and placed the guitar in my lap. Jack just looked on intently and I began to play him a song.

"Did I hear you say whatever? Turned and walk away, forever. Was it my mistake, or did we just get too close? Well til we meet again, I think you better learn to...

"Live, for the sake of living. Love, til your heart is breaking. Give your all and don't hold back. Tell the truth and don't forget to, Laugh, til your body's aching. Cry, til your hands are shaking. Wherever you go. Whatever you do, don't live a whatever life.

"Bet you think its cool to never, Care about the things that matter. Was it just a dream, or did we feel something real? You'll be all alone, until you finally start to...

"Live, for the sake of living. Love, til your heart is breaking. Give your all and don't hold back. Tell the truth and don't forget to, Laugh, til your body's aching. Cry, til your hands are shaking. Wherever you go. Whatever you do, don't live a whatever life.

"I'm all done waiting, I'm moving on. I'm ready to be strong and...

"Live, for the sake of living. Love, til your heart is breaking. Give your all and don't hold back. Tell the truth and don't forget to, Laugh, til your body's aching. Cry, til your hands are shaking. Wherever you go. Whatever you do, don't live a whatever life...Whatever you do, don't live a whatever life."

I finished playing the song and when I looked up I saw Jack was sound asleep. I heard someone lightly clear their throat, and looked at the doorway where Brian and Michelle were standing with small smiled on their faces.

"Hey..." I said, standing up with my guitar.

"Hi. How was everything? Did he behave for you?" Michelle asked.

"Of course. Jack's always good when I watch him." I smiled back.

"... He got scared of the storm, didn't he?" Brian chuckled. I nodded.

"Well, I'm going back to bed, I'm beat." I said, yawning. I gave Michelle a hug and said goodnight.

"Goodnight Dad." I said quietly as I hugged Brian.

"You know.. he's really lucky to have you watching out for him..." he whispered before we parted. I smiled at him and then carried my guitar down to my room. I crawled back in bed and laid there.

I didn't write that song, but it held so much meaning to me. It taught me not to take things for granted, and to live life to the fullest with no regrets. You only get one chance to live your life, and thankfully I was given a chance to start over. I never knew that one person could make such a difference in my life. But he did. Brian saved me, and I am eternally grateful. This time around, I'm going to do things right, I'm not gonna sit around and waste my life away. I have a promise to keep, and I intend on doing just that. And until we meet again, I will leave you with a few words of wisdom.

Live, just for the sake of living. Life is fragile. Don't waste it.