Crying On A Saturday Night

Chapter Six

The coke affected me. I was beyond addicted. I was past the point where I could take as much cocaine as possible and I still wouldn't get high. I didn't need cocaine. I needed something much stronger. And just where do you think I got it...?

"You comin' over? We got loads of cocaine tonight," Demetra said over the phone.

I sighed as I laid on my bed with my head hanging off the end. "Nah. Cocaine just... doesn't do anything for me anymore. I need something else for a change," I replied.

"Well... I can see if Aryn's got anything else, or if he can get something from his supplier if you want," she said.

I thought about it for a second. A slow smile crept to my lips. "Alright. I think that could work out."

"Sweet. If you want I can call him right now..."

"Alright, call me back though," I said, and I hung up. While I waited, I laid there and had a... self-reflection about myself for a moment. I'd skipped so many classes that I was probably in danger of failing the 11th grade. Brian and 'the family' tried to keep away from me as much as possible. No one liked to be around me. I looked dead. I felt dead. And yet I still did the drugs, because for those few short hours, I did feel alive, if that's what you want to call it. I looked anorexic. I bet I was frightening to look at. I was trashy. I was whoring around town, getting basically any guy I could. I knew I didn't like living this way, but there was no turning back from here.

My cell phone started to vibrate in my hand, since I didn't want the ring tone to wake anyone up. I answered it.

"Hey."

"Hey. So I talked to Aryn. He said there IS something he can get from his supplier, but you'll have to wait a couple days for him to get it," Demetra explained.

"Did he even say what it was?" I asked.

"Nah. Just said you'd like it," she replied.

"Alright, well when he gets it, let me know and I'll come over. Gotta go Vamp," I said. We said our goodbyes and hung up, and I laid there, wondering what mystery drug it could possibly be.

I snuck quietly down the stairs, making sure not to step on the one that creaked. I peaked around the corner once I reached the bottom and saw Brian and Michelle together on the couch, watching a movie with the lights off. Just as I planned. I hurried back up the stairs, quietly of course, and got back up to my room. It was almost 11, so Jack was asleep in his bed by this time and I didn't have to worry about him. I snuck over to my window and worked on getting it open. It was jammed. I pushed harder against the windowpane, trying to push it up, but it wouldn't budge for a minute. I got it open just a crack at the bottom, and slipped my fingers in the crack to push it up from the bottom. I got it open a tad bit more, when the window came back down unexpectedly, pinching my fingers.

"Fuck!" I shouted, while I rubbed my fingers. Now that the window was loose, I started to open it again.

"Charlie?" I heard a sleepy voice ask. I turned abruptly and saw Jack standing in the doorway, squinting from the bright light.

"Erm... what do you need Jack?" I asked, trying to be nice.

"What you doing?" he asked as he rubbed his eyes.

"I'm uh... trying to open the window to um... get some fresh air in here," I said, trying to convince him. Not that it was hard to do. I mean, come on, he's five years old.

"Oh..." he said quietly and then yawned.

"Here... I'll take you back to bed," I said as I walked over to him and took his hand. I led Jack back into his room and he got into his bed. I tucked him in, said goodnight, and went back to my room. I shut and locked the door and went back over to the window, opening it all the way. I shut my lights off and turned on my stereo so it would quietly play music, and then started to climb out the window. I placed one foot on the tree branch right under my window, and then the other foot. I got my balance on the branch and slowly closed my window. I shimmied across the branch til I got to the middle and climbed down the tree. As soon as my feet touched the ground, I ran down the street on the way to Demetra's house. Her parents weren't home (it seemed like they never were anyways) so I went up to her room. This time, instead of it being my whole gang of friends, only Demetra and Aryn were waiting for me. I quickly sat down on her bed to catch my breath.

"What'd you do, run all the way here?" Demetra asked with a smile. I nodded my head as I massaged the cramp that was growing in my side. After I'd caught my breath, I looked over toward Aryn.

"So, what'd you bring me that I've been waiting a week to get my hands on?" I asked. He smiled.

"Trust me, it was worth the wait," He said as he reached into his jacket pocket. He pulled out a small brown paper bag and walked over til he was standing in front of me. He reached into the bag and pulled out a strip of rubber, tossing it into my lap.

Oh no... not...

He pulled out a syringe. "Heroin," he said with a toothy grin.

"Um... I don't do needles..." I said, eyeing the syringe nervously.

"Why not? It doesn't hurt that bad Charlie... and its like an instantaneous high," he retorted.

"I don't like needles... Leastways not ones like that..."

"Don't be such a fuckin' pussy. God. I thought you said you wanted to fucking get high. The cocaine wasn't doin' it for ya, and this is the only other thing my suppliers got. Now hold still," Aryn demanded as he grabbed my right arm. I tried to jerk my arm from him but his grip was too strong. And then I noticed the hands holding my arm down weren't Aryn's. They were Demetra's. Aryn got the needle ready and started to put it towards the vein in my forearm.

"Is that even clean?" I asked nervously. He shrugged before he poked the needle through my skin into my vein. He pushed the heroin into my system and I howled out in pain. That shit was caustic. "That fucking burns..." I hissed.

"Get used to it. You're gonna be hooked now," Aryn said. Almost instantly a sense of euphoria slammed into my body. I completely forgot about my anger towards the two of them for forcing the drug on me, and just sat there, as content as could be. Everything in my life suddenly seemed right. Everything in the world suddenly seemed right. It was the happiest I'd ever felt in a very long time...

After cautiously walked home (skipping down the sidewalk and singing all the way), I climbed back up my tree, slid my window open, and crawled into my room with a smile on my face. I unlocked my door and collapsed on my bed, and fell into a dreamless, yet happy, sleep.