In the Devil's Company

I Understand That You're Making New Friends

A large black limo was parked in the driveway. Wow, Matt wasn’t kidding. I checked my pockets and purse frantically, double checking that I had everything – phone, keys, iPod, etc. I stole one last glance over my shoulder at the silent and still living room.

I was really doing this…I’m really escaping from this nightmare. But, for how long?

A couple days…a week…a month…forever?

Why does that thought seem so morbid? Ronnie left a long time ago, and I don’t think he’ll ever be able to return. This is better for him, and myself.

It’s times like these when I really wish I would’ve signed up for some weight loss program with a gym. The burning sting of actually using my muscles crept up and down my arms as I trudged outside, dragging the heavy suitcases behind me.

“Allow me to help you with that ma’am,” a surprisingly familiar voice spoke ahead of me.

My eyes darted up immediately to find Zacky standing in front of the limo wearing a black tuxedo. “Zacky, what are you doing here?” I exclaimed, dropping the luggage and running over and into a welcoming hug.

“Clearly, I came to assist with your bags,” he replied in a posh ‘rich butler’ tone.

“Thank God, I’m saved!” I teased, leaning against the limo and watching him address the matter.

Zacky began by tugging on the latched straps of the luggage, extending his arms and groaning simultaneously. “See it’s not as easy as it looks,” I laughed.

Matt, seemingly appearing out of thin air, bolted over to the scene of distress, shoving Zacky aside and effortlessly slinging the bags over his shoulder. “Show off,” Zacky muttered.

My eyes scanned the length of the black limo. Regardless of my efforts, my vision couldn’t pierce past the dark tinted windows. “I didn’t know you were licensed to drive this,” I joked, turning my attention back to Zacky.

“He’s not,” an additional voice spoke from the opposite side of the vehicle. “But I am.”

I felt a smile quickly appear on my face as my eyes met Jimmy’s. “Damn, how many people are you hiding in there?” I laughed.

“Just one more,” Matt replied, slamming the trunk shut.

“And who might that be?”

“Brian.”

*Ronnie’s POV*

I welcomed the burn of alcohol traveling down my throat as I glared at the sight in my own front yard. If I ever get the chance, you can bet that I’ll kill her stupid big brother. Then no one can come to her rescue anymore.

Pathetic little bitch…has to run away because she has no physical tolerance.

I downed what was left in my glass before chucking it across the room and watching glass shards explode in every direction, like fireworks. By the time I turned around, the limo was already out of sight. Oh, Claire, just because you’re not directly in my sight doesn’t mean I can’t make you pay for this.

You’ll see.

*Normal POV*

Brian and I have never exactly gotten along. I’ve known these boys since sixth grade, and if there was anyone who made it his mission to humiliate me and get me into trouble, it would be Brian. But as the years have passed, we’d become more civilized, I guess you could say.

I gave him a small worthless smile before scooting further into the limo. Jimmy took the driver’s seat, accompanied by Zacky, and for some strange reason, I felt a longing to be sitting in Zacky’s seat. Clearly, I’m sure you can tell that I still have feelings for Jimmy.

Why can’t we be together, you may ask? Leana. Don’t get me wrong – she’s beautiful, hilarious, and kind. As much as it pains me to say this, she’s his soulmate. They’re one of the cutest couples I’ve ever seen.

But I still sometimes humor myself by imagining “us” still being a possibility.

“Wait,” I said laughing as my eyes scanned the fairly abandoned limo, “why are we driving in this when there are only three people back here?”

Matt raised his beer can as a mock toast. “How else could we begin to celebrate your new business proposal?”

Even Brian was smiling as the words left Matt’s mouth. Could it be that he was actually…happy for me?

The ride from Vegas to LA was anything but smooth sailing, but it was to be expected considering Jimmy was the one behind the wheel. Apparently, Jimmy and Zacky had made a bet to see who could read the most billboards along the highway.

Both Brian and Matt betted that Zacky would win; I chose to not participate…considering this did involve having the driver of a limousine essentially staring everywhere but the road.

“You guys can be such idiots sometimes,” I muttered, leaning forward and turning on the small-screened television propped near the driver’s headrest.

“Says the girl who just barely escaped an abusive marriage,” Brian retorted.

The ride turned chillingly silent as Matt and I gave Brian a shocked and/or disappointed look. Did he really just go there?

“Dude,” Matt growled, elbowing him in the ribs, “what’s your problem?” Brian rolled his eyes and crossed his arms over his chest.

“I assume that the bet is off,” Zacky said timidly.

*Ian’s POV*

I paced the worn, wooden floors of the gallery in anticipation. Brian said that we’d meet at their hotel’s bar for dinner and drinks, inevitably. My eyes scanned the walls, only partially covered in artistic works, all of which pleasing to view.

As I had previously mentioned, this was a real endeavor on my part. But I want them to believe that I am truly an artist myself. I still have about another forty-five minutes.

And with that, I set out onto the streets, my eyes darting in every direction, searching for a quick and easy solution.

As the local Starbucks came into view, I took special precaution when observing the people crowded around the small metal tables located outside. A man wearing a heavy look of concentration held onto a small sketchpad with a pencil in hand. That’s perfect.

I peered down at his work to find him beginning a drawing of the park up ahead. I can handle trees.

I didn’t bother concealing a smirk as I approached him. Skillfully, I reached down and gripped the spiraled edge of the sketchpad. The pencil he’d been holding drilled unexpectedly into the paper, creating a stark and thick charcoal line at the bottom.

He glared up at me and made a move to reach for his book, but I was far quicker. I held it away from him, yet at just enough of a distance to view it myself. “Nice piece of work you have here,” I said, studying the skeleton of the work.

“Give that back to me before I make a scene,” he growled, standing up suddenly causing the metal chair legs to screech against the pavement.

I laughed and shook my head, amused with his pure stupidity. “Would you be interested in taking this back there,” I suggested, nodding my head to the hardly occupied back parking lot, “and settle this man to man?”

The glasses he’d been wearing slowly slid down the bridge of his nose. He maintained his glare all while using a single finger to shove the rims back upward. “Bring it on, pretty boy.”

I stared down at the motionless body, complete with several sharpened sketching pencils sticking out of his flesh. That’s gotta hurt. I offered one last triumphant smirk in his direction before securing the sketchbook in a backpack and heading home.

After all, I think it’s a little too early for Claire to find out what my extra circulars are. And I really don’t think that big brother Matt would be much of a fan of the bloody clothes.

*Ronnie’s POV*

Ever since I knew that Claire had really gotten into that limo and left, I couldn’t sleep. Hell, I even gave sleeping pills a shot, and they didn’t do shit. I’m not depressed, nor do I miss her. And that’s what makes this so much worse. I don’t know why I can’t sleep.

Maybe it was my mind playing out scenarios of what could happen. What if she never came back? No…there are no ‘what if’s’ here. She will come back…even if I have to track her down myself.

I rolled over onto my side and glared at the framed photo from our wedding on the nightstand. I reached forward and wrapped my fingers violently around the edge of the frame and chucked it, as far as my rage and confusion would permit, across the room. The sound of the glass cracking against the wall actually calmed me down immensely.

There are ways to deal with this. Well, for one, there are several picture frames and glass china around the house. But more realistically, I can just call her later tonight. She can decide her own fate – whether our reunion will be enjoyable, or painful.

My lips curled into a satisfied smile as my eyelids closed and sleep finally overcame me.

*Normal’s POV*

After the awkward forty-five minute remainder of the ride back to LA, I felt the previously experienced excitement return. I was going to be doing something that I’m passionate about with one of my favorite actors!

People always think I must’ve had it made, being related to a rockstar and married to oneunfortunately, but it wasn’t until just now that I truly appreciated that advantage.

Since Avenged Sevenfold wasn’t quite finished with their US Tour yet, they were staying at a hotel in LA.

“Alright, well I guess I’ll head up to your room and change into something more dinner-appropriate,” I said, scooting out of the limo and staring up at the rather massive and tall hotel building.

“Here’s the key to the door. You can find us in the bar when you’re ready,” Matt replied, sliding the card key into my back jeans pocket.

I tossed one of suitcases on the bed upon entering the beautiful suite. One quick glance at my reflection, however, tempted my stomach to spew all over the place. How am I supposed to impress Ian when I look like this?

Ronnie really outdid himself this time. I still had a limp, which made me look completely stupid…there were bruises along my arms and chest…a couple on my stomach…and a fading black eye.

“I’m gonna need lots of make up for this,” I sighed, digging into my bag and retrieving the supplies.

I decided to wear a low-cut red shirt with skin-tight black leggings and heels. My hair just needed a small amount of straightening before it was considered slightly acceptable. The makeup, of course, was what consumed the most time.

Honestly, it was worse than painting! I felt so pressured to achieve some sort of look, but it seemed near impossible at this point. I’m just going to have to settle for less than perfect.

Actually, I’m not really sure why I’m all worked up on my appearance in the first place. This is a business proposal, isn’t it? Sure, I appreciate his acting skills, but it’s not a date. I nodded to myself, just to re-confirm my own thoughts, before heading down to the bar.

Now may be a good time to mention that it only took me a little more than half an hour to get ready. Within that time span, I’d somehow missed Zacky getting into a bar fight and Brian getting borderline smashed. Why the hell does all the good stuff happen when I’m not around?

“Apparently you guys planned on starting the night without me,” I teased.

“I don’t think anyone would be capable of doing such a thing to someone as beautiful as you,” an unknown, yet vaguely familiar voice spoke from behind me.

My eyes bulged out of the sockets as Matt and I shared a grin. Okay…okay, just keep it cool; now is not the time to become a crazed fan. I spun on my heel, presumably still wearing the same grin.

“I can’t believe it’s really you,” I murmured.

He took a step forward, making the approach incredibly personal. “It’s wonderful to finally meet you. From what I’ve heard, your talent is exactly what I need to make my gallery a success. I’m Ian,” he said smoothly, extending his hand, which I eagerly shook, ignoring the trembling crawling up and down from my shaking knees to my fingers.

“I-I really hope that I can help you out,” I stammered, “I’m Claire.”

As his hand wrapped around mine, I noticed him freeze momentarily upon feeling the metal of my wedding ring. He kept his eyes locked on the diamond for what seemed like a strangely long amount of time before his icy blue eyes returned to mine.

Before an awkward silence could be formed, I noticed a piece of paper sticking up from underneath the suit jacket he was wearing. He followed my gaze onto his body and grinned.

“Ah, I see you found my latest work. Here, take a look.”

He unfolded a piece of paper to reveal a fairly impressive sketch of what looked like a park.

“You drew this? With talent like this, I don’t quite understand what you need me for,” I laughed nervously.

Ian smirked ever so slightly as his eyes danced with dark amusement, almost like there were secret intentions hidden behind them. He gently placed his hand on my shoulder as he pulled me up against him. He used his free hand to run his fingers along my cheek.

“Claire, you really shouldn’t doubt your talents. Trust me, I’ll be needing your…assistance more than you know.”

A small chill crept down my spine as I continued to stare into his eyes, oblivious to the future he had planned, as he took my hand and led me over to Matt and the others.
♠ ♠ ♠
in the next chapter: ian seems to have a talent for winning everyone over, so much so that no one thinks to question why he wishes to meet privately with brian. he also even becomes bold enough to tell claire that he thinks of her as far more than just a partner.... ;)

also, check out the characters section for this story to see pictures, character descriptions, and their ages. if anyone wants to make a banner, you can see a picture of claire there as well

title credit: "when i get home you're so dead" mayday parade

so thoughts on an evil ian? personally (hence why im writing this) i think its sexy lol tell me what you think!

5+ comments would be greatly appreciated, and the next chapter should be up within the first two weeks of september

apparently college gets way harder sophomore year haha so thats why my updates are slightly lacking :( but ill try to fix it!