Sequel: Brilliant Lies
Status: Complete

Not Your Enemy

Detention

Image

Ruby was not paying attention in class. Her thoughts went to her own secret. The blood… the horror. She wished she could take it all back. She wouldn’t have cared what the others thought. She would’ve continued to go to school with her head up high, but she made the stupid mistake and it cost a life. She had to live with it for the rest of her life. Suicide had crossed her mind, but she could never truly go through with it.

She might look all tough on the outside, but inside she was a fragile girl. She could easily be broken if you know where to hit.

“What are you thinking?” Emmett whispered.

She didn’t jump, but she was a bit surprised. He had been silent for most of the class.

She looked over to him and a small sigh escaped her lips.

“I’m thinking I’m about to shoot myself if this class doesn’t end soon,” she muttered.

He gave a light chuckle. She found it very cute how he laughed. He had dimples, she never noticed it until then. Now that she really looked at him, he was kind of gorgeous. He had short, curly brown hair, a very good body that always showed when he wore those tight shirts like he was wearing now, and now that she knew he had dimples, well that just took him on her top three gorgeous men.

Number one being Johnny Depp. No matter how he dressed, or that he got older, he was still the sexiest man alive, at least to Ruby he was.

“Do you plan to get out?” Emmett asked.

She shrugged. “I don’t know. It’ll be a pain the ass to go to Mrs. Wyatt and ask to drop the class cause then she’ll give me the whole lecture of how bad my grades are.”

“You’re a junior and the year barely started,” he pointed out.

She scoffed. “I bet I already have an F.”

He chuckled again.

“Remember I’m here to help you… and not just for French.”

She gave him a quizzical look.

“For anything else, I’m here for you. If you need me to get rid of your douche of a boyfriend, I can,” he smirked.

She pressed her lips together tightly to keep herself from laughing.

“Thanks, but I like my douche of a boyfriend.”

“Really? Why?”

“The sex is great,” she gave him another shrug.

He leaned really close to her. His intoxicating breath hit her again and clouded her mind.

“I bet with me it’ll be mind-blowing,” he whispered so lowly that she barely made out the words.

But when she did… she blushed.

For the first time in years, a boy made her blush. She even gulped and gave him a shocked look.

“What?” she needed confirmation that she heard right.

His golden eyes held her for a very long time. She actually forgot she was in class and she found herself leaning forward. She looked to his lips, and they looked so inviting. She wanted to know how they felt. Soft? Hard? In between?

“Mr. Cullen! Ms. Charleston!” their teacher barked.

Ruby snapped from her entrance, and looked at the teacher. All of a sudden they weren’t alone anymore. The whole class was looking at them.

“Detention! Two days of detention. Today and tomorrow after school!”

“Why?!” she screeched.

“For not paying attention, and I know what you two were about to do in the middle of the class,” he snapped. His face turned red from anger. “Or would you rather go to the Principal’s office?”

She glared at him for a few heart beats, and then turned away bitterly.

“No.”

“Two days of detention.”

The bell rang and everyone gathered their things. She turned to Emmett with an angry look.

“You fucker,” she wanted to punch him, but she didn’t want to get in trouble. She got really close to him.

Emmett almost lost control when she got so close to him. If he wanted to, he could’ve captured her face in his hands and kissed her until she stopped breathing, he had to restrain himself.

“You got me detention, you… you… Gosh! I’m so freaking pissed I can’t even freaking insult you!”

She turned from him angry as hell.

She was able to blow off some steam in her Art class. In her art class she got do some sketching, and she did some sketching of Emmett getting thrown off of a cliff by someone. In her sketch it was just Emmett’s gorgeous body falling down a cliff.

Ruby waited for Tobi when lunch came around. She hoped they wouldn’t have to seat with the Cullen’s again. She wasn’t in the mood to deal with Emmett.

Tobi arrived with a smile.

She raised an eyebrow.

“What has you in a such a good mood?” she sniffed and could smell the cigarette on her. “Were you smoking in school?”

“Just one,” she shrugged like nothing. “Alice wants us to sit with them again.”

“Ugh, I really don’t want to, Tobi, fucking Emmett got me two days of detention.”

“What for?” Tobi was no longer surprised when Ruby got detention. She was surprised if a month went by and she didn’t get detention.

But what did surprise Tobi was the slight pink color that appeared on Ruby’s cheeks when she asked that question.

“Why are you blushing?” Tobi asked her.

Ruby looked around to see if no one was around.

“In class… we sort of… kind of… almost kissed?”

“Kissed?” Tobi’s smile was wide. She knew Emmett was a good guy. Last year she saw when she helped a kid getting picked on by the jocks. He pretty much made the jocks piss in their pants. He was a good guy. Ruby needed a good guy in her life.

“Almost!” Ruby corrected in a whisper. “I don’t know why! I don’t feel… attracted to him… well I am, but not enough to make a move.”

“I think he’s a great catch,” Tobi smiled. Her eyes went to Jasper, and he was already looking at her. “But… let’s sit by ourselves for today.”

“Good!”

Tobi was still thinking about how quickly her emotions changed earlier.

“Let’s get lunch and our usual table then!”

Ruby had a peaceful lunch.

After lunch and English class she had AP Biology yet again. This time she sat all the way across from Emmett. Instead of listening, she took out her sketch book and finished the sketching of Emmett being thrown off of a cliff.

She was out of her class when the bell rang.

Tobi was by her car. Ruby saw Dalton’s car. She waved at him, but headed to Tobi.

“See you at dinner?” she asked.

Tobi nodded and placed her lighter away.

“Of course.”

“I hope your mom makes something bomb.”

“She thinks that you eating a lot is because you might be pregnant,” Tobi smiled.

Ruby laughed. “Yeah, sure. Not in a freaking million years. Good thing she doesn’t know a thing about munchies.”

She headed towards Dalton’s car.

“Ruby!” a velvet voice said her name.

She stopped and turned. Emmett had her sketch book.

“You forgot this,” he handed it back to her.

She looked at him with a hard look. “Did you look inside of it?”

“Just the page where I’m being pushed off of a cliff, are you that mad at me?” he asked with actual concern in his eyes.

She didn’t see the concern so she answered in her usual bitch tone.

“No, of course not. I forgive you for giving me two days of detention! Hope you die in a ditch, Cullen,” she snapped back.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh Snap!

You guys are awesome!