Sequel: Brilliant Lies
Status: Complete

Not Your Enemy

Pity

Image

“Son of a fucking bitch!” Ruby swore when Tobi’s alarm went off the next. The elder of the two had been sleeping closest to the said item, and had forgotten about how loud it could actually get. As her thanks to her friend for reminding her, Ruby kicked Tobi off her side of the bed and the French girl landed on the floor with a loud ‘thud’ against the floor.

She shot up with a glare and looked at Ruby with eyes glazed in the afterglow of a wonderful dream involving a lot of chocolate and a certain boy, “What the fuck is your problem?” she yelled over her alarm while stumbling up from the carpeted ground, “Just press the damn snooze button!”

Ruby muttered something into her pillow and Tobi growled as she walked over to her night table to turn off her alarm. She huffed at her lazy friend and poked her shoulder, “Wake up by the time I’m out of the shower and dressed or I’m pulling your hair.” Tobi stumbled out of her room and into the bathroom to shower off quickly before school. After several minutes, she was out and in front of her mirror straightening her hair and putting on the little make-up she always wore.

When she was finished, she walked into her room and nodded back to her bathroom so the, now awake, Ruby could get ready. Tobi left her room to go eat breakfast and watch the news for the weather. As she ate the small apple in her hands, Tobi listened to the weather man drone about how it was going to be fairly sunny that day and the sky would be clear of all clouds.

Upstairs, Hannah walked from her room and rolled her eyes as she listened to Ruby sing loudly to no music. She made her way downstairs and stood in front of the television so Tobi would pay attention to her, “Si vous ne dites pas votre ami idiot de se taire, je vais te tuer.” (If you don't tell your idiotic friend to shut up I'm going to kill you)

“Pourquoi voudriez-vous me tuer? Tu m'aimes et je ne suis même pas la personne de chanter la chanson.” (Why would you kill me? You love me and I'm not even the person singing the fucking song) Tobi responded, trying to look past the angered ginger glaring at her with crossed arms.

“Je ne vais vous dire une fois de plus, je ne suis pas votre sœur et moi ne le sera jamais! Ma mère est morte dans le travail, et ma tante a pris mon frère et moi po Vous avez sans rapport avec cette famille, et votre propre famille n'a même pas vous le souhaitez. Avouons-le, et arrêter d'essayer de se cacher derrière un mensonge putain! Tu es un étranger essayer d'adapter po ..” (I will tell you once again, I'm not your sister and I never will! My mother died in labor, and my aunt took my brother and me in. You have nothing to do with this family, and your own family does not even want you. Face it, and stop trying to hide behind a lie bitch! You're a foreigner trying to fit in. ..)

Hannah’s words cut deep and Tobi couldn’t do anything but stare at the younger girl with an open mouth as she walked back up the stairs. Just as Hannah left her sight, Ruby came into view with a bright smile on her face; completely oblivious to what was just said to her friend. Upon seeing Tobi’s face, Ruby smile and motioned at her borrowed outfit, “Sexy, I know. But close your mouth, you’re starting to drool.”

Tobi sucked up her emotions and felt for the lighter in her hoodie pocket; at that moment she needed the comfort of the fire because never in her life had Hannah spoken so fiercely to her. It was as if so many bottled thoughts and emotions flew from her mouth and strangled Tobi with an iron grip. Tobi couldn’t shake off the feeling as she and Ruby walked to her car in silence.

The ride to school felt slow and groggy to Tobi as she allowed Ruby to drive that day. She didn’t trust herself behind the wheel with her shaking hands and cluttered thoughts. First it was the people at school, then him, and now Hannah wanted to start shit with her. It was as if God didn’t want to give Tobi a break at all that week and her only blessing was Jasper Hale’s change of attitude toward her. He was usually so cold and aloof, but he was different the day before.

Jasper watched as Tobi’s car pulled into the school parking lot. The night before, after he had yelled at Alice, he had decided that he would at least show the hurting girl that he was there with a comforting shoulder if she needed him. So, after she stepped out of her car and walked to the hood with Ruby, Jasper shot his ‘siblings’ a glance and headed in the two girls’ direction. His golden eyes shined with worry and he held his breath as he drew closer; even if Alice didn’t see him hurting her, Jasper wasn’t going to risk it.

Ruby elbowed the spaced out Tobi and nodded over at Jasper, who was just several feet away, “Your lover’s here.”

Tobi wasn’t in the mood to protest, but her eyes brightened a bit and she watched as Jasper got closer. She felt Ruby make a move to leave, but she grabbed her arm securely in hers for she needed someone familiar close by. Tobi didn’t trust herself at the moment and she felt she’d do something stupid like snap at the poor boy for ‘caring’ all of a sudden. Ruby was Tobi’s rock and at the moment Ruby was all Tobi felt like she had.

Even if she couldn’t tell her everything at the moment.

“Good morning, Autumn,” Jasper greeted and looked at both girls, “Ruby.”

Ruby nodded and elbowed Tobi to wake up a little. Tobi’s head snapped from her shoulder and she straightened her posture, “Good morning, Jasper.” Even her voice didn’t sound convincing, but she couldn’t take it back, “do you need anything?”

Jasper looked at Ruby for a second before sighing and running his fingers through his blonde, wild hair, “Can I speak with you alone for a moment?”

At once, Ruby disconnected herself from Tobi’s grip and winked before plugging her ear phones in her ear and walking off somewhere. Tobi watched Jasper with waiting eyes and started fumbling with the lighter in her jacket once more. Yet, as soon as her discomforting emotions arrived they were sent away by a powerful jolt of soothing rays of peace. Her grimace turned up and she somewhat smiled at Jasper.

“I know we have not talked since I’ve been in Forks,” Jasper started, “but I feel like now is a time for me to tell you that I’ll be here for you whenever you need me. If you need another friend to talk to, or just a person to sit with you while you cry… I’m here.”

Tobi’s heart pounded as she heard those words and a smile made its way onto her features, “Do you mean that or is this pity?”

“I don’t believe in pity,” Jasper mumbled before pulling out a small piece of paper and gently putting it in Tobi’s hand, “just remember I’m here.”

As he walked away, Tobi stood there star struck. No one, not even her mother, had ever spoken those words to her and Tobi was flabbergasted that a beautiful person would even consider her emotions for once.

First period passed normal, minus the fact that Jasper seemed less shrewd and more welcoming.

Second period came and the classroom door opened to reveal a smiling student with a green piece of paper in her hand. She handed it to the teacher, who called Tobi to the front of the room, and left. Once Tobi reached the teacher, she was given her new schedule and walked to get her stuff before leaving. Her first class remained, much to her distain, but she noted that all her classes remained advanced and instead of French being second she had it third period and Literature last. Meaning, she was on her way to orchestra as she walked.

When she reached the room, she smiled and waved at the teacher, Dr. Schott, and walked over to her locker containing her violin. Before finding a seat, Tobi handed Dr. Schott her new schedule and waited for him to sign it stating that he was aware of her change.

“Jared,” he spoke to a first seat boy, “move back one and allow Autumn to have your seat. She’ll be your section leader for the rest of the semester.” Tobi smiled and Jared, who smiled politely in return, and sat down to join the class in playing.

Along with fire and dancing, Tobi considered violin and piano as another form of release; however, instead of stress or happiness, her music was how she expressed emotions coming from her heart. Every thought on Hannah and Jasper came to mind and she played them out so she wouldn’t suffer later.

That was going to be her new favorite class.

Around lunch, Tobi decided to take a small break in the restroom and play the remaining emotions out with her lighter and one last cigarette before she’d have to smooth talk herself a new pack. The nicotine seemed to erase everything in her mind and, for a moment, Tobi had even forgotten where she was.

“You can get is trouble if you get caught.”

Tobi’s eyes shot open and she searched for the person the voice belonged to. She knew at once it was one of the Cullen kids and when she noted a high pair of stilettos standing in front of her stall, she knew it had to be the blonde girl, Rosalie.

“I know it’s none of my business,” Rosalie continued as if she hadn’t scared the shit out of Tobi, “but you mean a lot to a couple of people I know, and people they know; so don’t fuck their lives up by fucking with yours. Got it?”

Tobi didn’t respond; she just flushed the cigarette in the toilet, popped a piece of gum in her mouth, and opened the stall. When she was able to see her, Rosalie tried to smile kindly at Tobi but gave up after three attempts. The blonde nodded her head toward the door, and, together, the two walked toward the lunch room in silence.
♠ ♠ ♠
Les mots ne peuvent exprimer à quel point je suis reconnaissant pour vos nombreux commentaires et messages. Je suis vraiment heureux que vous les gars sont en appréciant l'histoire jusqu'ici, et je prie pour que je ne vous décevrons pas que cela continue.

Je vous aime beaucoup, mes lecteurs belle!

Vous les gars sont vraiment le meilleur:)

(It's basically just saying thank-you guys for being so fucking amazing!)

Also, thank-you CharmedLuna for the totally kickass header! ;)

Click here if you want to see Tobi's outfit