Sequel: Brilliant Lies
Status: Complete

Not Your Enemy

Animal

Image

Tobi glared across the parking lot as Dalton spoke with Ruby before she had to leave for detention. The young girl crossed her arms and bit her lip hard to keep herself from yelling out and telling the world what a jackass the nineteen year old was; however, she refrained from doing so and settled with her constant thoughts on murdering the douche bag. Tobi never liked Dalton, ever since she was first introduced to him, Tobi felt as if he had been set on controlling her friends every thought and action.

“If looks could kill, I think your friends boyfriend would be dead ten times over,” Alice spoke from beside her, causing Tobi’s heart to accelerate and beat against her chest brutally, “you don’t really like him, do you?”

Tobi shook her head, “There’s nothing I can do really,” she whispered, looking down at the beautiful little fairy at her side, “it’s Ruby’s decision and she can do what she wants. I just wish she’d at least tell me…” Tobi stopped herself from continuing because she felt as if she were giving out too much information to the girl she barely knew. Instead of continuing, Tobi exhaled loudly and rubbing her temples with her hands. She really should have finished her cigarette instead of wasting perfect nicotine.

“Well,” Alice spoke up once more, “I’m having a sleep over at my house with Bella this weekend and I was wondering if you and Ruby wanted to come. I’ve asked Emmett to invite Ruby because he had detention with her again, but I wanted to personally ask you because I feel both of us are going to get really close!”

“This weekend?” Tobi questioned, thinking about her promise to her dance instructor and then thinking about seeing Jasper outside of school. She smiled and looked at her shoes, “I think I’ll be able to make it.”

Alice giggled and hugged Tobi briefly before heading toward her family, “Don’t worry, you will.”

Ruby walked over just seconds after Alice and not far behind was Dalton. He grinned at Tobi and crossed his arms as if he knew he could ruin her life at any given moment; yet, in a way he did because he was at the party that night. He was the one who introduced Tobi to him and he even gave her, her first couple of beers. Tobi wondered if Dalton told Ruby her secret yet.

“Nice to see you again, animal,” Dalton taunted, using the name he and his friends made up the moment they found out what she had done. Ruby looked up at him curious as to the name, but before she could ask Dalton took a step forward, “Have you been down to La Push lately?”

A shiver ran up Tobi’s spine and she bit her lip to keep herself from crying; she had told herself over and over that she was never going to let herself break down like she had the morning after she remembered what she had done. It was in the girl’s locker room just moments before the bell rang signaling the start of class.

Jasper kept his eyes on Tobi, and once he heard Dalton start speaking to her so rudely it took both his brothers and Rosalie to keep him from running to Tobi’s aid and scaring the shit out of his new enemy. Emmett chuckled darkly beside his brother and whispered, “I feel the same way about him.”

“If he says anything else I’m going over there,” Jasper growled darkly, shoving his sibling’s hands off of him, “and ripping his throat out.”

Edward shook his head at his brother’s thoughts on the boy and looked over to the girls just as Tobi thought back to the party. He had only been able to get small glimpses of what had happened, but he knew what she had done and why; however, he had yet to understand how she was put in the situation. The willpower of the girl was greater than most teenage girls, and she hadn’t even thought about the walk into the room or who asked how… it was like she blacked out before everything happened.

“I’ll see you later babe,” Dalton whispered to Ruby before pulling her into a kiss and shoving his tongue down her throat. Tobi wanted to hurl on his shoes, but turned her back and walked to the driver’s seat of her car. As she started it, Ruby stuck her head in the window and smiled.

“Later hun?”

Tobi nodded, “Later,” and then she drove off. As she drove alone, Tobi’s thoughts went, not to her personal issues, but to her little sister. She didn’t understand why Hannah was so mean to her, but she did understand why Hannah would resent her so. Tobi agreed with the young teen that she was an outsider trying to fit in; although, she wasn’t going to let the world know how she felt about herself. Only time would be able tell, and that was the only thing that Tobi really feared.

Time; the whole idea of forever or even a decade into the future scared the living shit out of the little French girl and she always shuttered at the thought that some people had to suffer living on such a dreadful place like earth for over a century.

She parked in her driveway and got out of the car slowly. Idea’s of having a smoke came into mind the second she walked into her room, but Rosalie’s words also tainted her as she paced her empty room. Instead, Tobi stripped down and threw on some comfortable clothes so she could fall asleep until her mom came home to wake her up.

Tobi slept dreamlessly, and she was shaken roughly awake by Holden when it was dinner time. She kept quiet during dinner, wondering why Ruby hadn’t came over yet but figured she had been spending ‘quality’ time with Dalton. After dinner, Tobi was forced to clean the dishes and halfway through she heard the doorbell ring.

“I got it!” she called to anyone who was paying attention. And when she opened the door her heart fell. Standing before her was a bruised Ruby with a shiner bigger than Tobi had ever seen, not that she’d seen too many. “What the fuck happened to you?”

Ruby shrugged, “I don’t want to talk about it,” she whispered as she tried to brush past Tobi to go inside, but Tobi stopped and her glared into her eyes.

“Who the fuck did this? Dalton?”

Ruby glared right back and shoved Tobi back roughly, not liking being manhandled for the second time that day and not liking her friend wanting to know everything about her, “Back the fuck off, okay? I don’t need this shit right now!”

“What shit?” Tobi asked, screaming back, “me caring about you?” –Tobi shook her head in disgust- “Well fine. I’m done trying! If you want me in your life, let me know!” –She stepped back and into her house- “bye.”
After the door slammed, Tobi stared at it like it was the devil. Her heart pounded and she hyperventilated while tears brimmed her eyes. She turned to run to her room but ended up facing her mom.

“What’s wrong, sweetheart?” she asked, her words sounded like she cared but Tobi knew better. Saline made a move to hug her daughter, but Tobi pushed her away.

“Like you fucking care.”

The next day, Tobi woke up with a pounding headache, having cried herself to sleep, and a stuffy nose. She forced herself to dress in whatever she found first, added little eyeliner, and put on her glasses before pulling her hair in a pony tail and walking out to get an apple. As she ate, she felt her brother and sister move around her, but she kept her eyes closed so she didn’t have to see the red hair she’d come to love. Tobi figured that distancing herself from them would be best if she was actually an outsider.

“Move,” Hannah whispered while shoving Tobi’s foot off the table.

Tobi did nothing but listen to the reporter on the tv talk about the weather; when it was time to leave, Tobi walked out of her house and over to her car. She hoped her friend would be outside waiting, but she frowned when she saw Dalton waiting outside of Ruby’s door. Taking a chance, and using the courage she had left, Tobi rushed over and pushed him into his beloved vehicle. She mustered up all her anger and grabbed the collar of his shirt, “I know you fucking did it! But be warned, touch her again and I will find a way to hurt your ass.”

“What are you going to do?” Dalton laughed, “get Paul on me? Don’t waste your breath; I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t matter anyway. Ruby always comes back.”

Tobi shoved him harder, “I hope you burn in fucking hell.”

With that, she walked off and toward her car; driving off to school alone and very angry.
♠ ♠ ♠
Woah! Tobi's got a little darker side! :)

Feedback/comments are welcomed and thank-you all who do give us the feedback and encouragement!

I love you and thank-you for reading! :)