Sequel: Brilliant Lies
Status: Complete

Not Your Enemy

Adorable

Image

“No librarian is sexy unless they’re in a porno,” Ruby shook her head and continued to pull Tobi down the hall and down the stairs.

Emmett couldn’t stop the laugh that left his lips as his dark haired and eyes singer walked over to him. He was ALWAYS aware of her blood scent. Even when he was well fed, he could feel the demon lurking inside of him. He swallowed the venom inside of his mouth. It didn’t help that she was wearing that nice dress that showed her nice legs.

Those legs he day dreamt about having them around his torso. His name would escape her lips like it did in her dreams, but she would be shouting it.

The smile on her lips made his dead heart leap with joy. He was actually nervous, he was sure if he was human, he would have sweaty hands.

“So, Emmett, where are we going?” her voice brought him back.

He smiled. “I figured you’d be hungry by now.”

She grinned. “You know me too well,” she tried to shove him, but she found herself unable to move him. “Ugh, what are you made of? Marble?”

She was joking, of course, but it made Emmett realize what he was and she was.

She was human.

He was a vampire, sex was out of the question, and he didn’t even know if he could kiss her. Could he get close enough without having the burning desire for her blood?

With his gloom thoughts he led her to the kitchen.

“What are you making me then?” she sat on the stool.

He chuckled. “You expect me to cook?”

“Well, I’m not the best cook… ever, ask Tobi, I almost burned her house down once,” Ruby chuckled at the memory of when Tobi and Ruby tried to make cupcakes when they were eleven and almost burnt the whole kitchen.

Emmett had to bite down his lips. He knew of what was going to happen if Jasper didn’t occupy Tobi, and he couldn’t risk Ruby being in the same house. He would somehow get her to go with him to places for the next three days, except for tomorrow because they were going to La Push.

He wished she didn’t, but he also knew she didn’t like being bossed around.

“I do know how to make the most delicious dish in the world,” he smiled as he reached for a bowl and placed it in front of her.

She laughed as he poured some cocoa-puffs in her bowl.

“Oh, whoa, what a coincidence,” she smirked, “this is my specialty.”

He laughed too and poured the milk.

He handed her a spoon and sat on the stool next to her.

“So, Emmett, what do you plan to do after you graduate?” she asked.

“I’m not sure,” he shrugged, well he did, he planned on staying and be with her. “And you?”

“Well, I have another year to go, but hopefully, if I get my shit together, I can get into some college and go and take some art classes.”

“You’re an artists,” he grinned widely.

“An artists is a big assumption, I like to draw, but I don’t feel like an artists,” she shrugged.

“You’re artists,” he whispered to her, big mistake at the close range he could hear how fast he made her heart race. He pulled back and swallowed more venom. “I bet you’re damn good.”

“Thanks, now what do you do, Emmett?”

“What do you mean?” he asked as he watched her eat, not in a creepy, but something to distract himself from thinking of her blood.

“Well, do you have any hobbies? I know you don’t cook,” she said and gestured to her bowl, “case and point, so what can you do?”

“I’m good with computers,” he answered.

“Nerd,” she scoffed.

He laughed. “I kind of am, in a way. I’m also into car. I like to fix them.”

“Do you drink… or smoke?” she had to ask, but she kind of already knew the answer.

“No,” he narrowed his eyes. “It’s bad.”

She thought he would go into a lecture about it, and how she should stop, but he didn’t. She liked that about him. He knew boundaries.

“I know for a fact you’re not a virgin,” she said as she chewed on her food. Emmett laughed, he didn’t expect her to be so bold about sex, then again it was Ruby he was with. “You were with Rosalie, and I bet you tapped that more than once.”

Emmett would’ve blushed if he had blood flowing.

“How about we ask each other normal questions?” he offered.

She shrugged. “Do you have a middle name?”

“I do, it’s Dale,” he answered. “You?” He already knew though.

“Juliet,” her smile faded a little, “it was my mother’s name.”

“You don’t talk about your parents, do you?” his voice lowered.

She shook her head. “There’s not much to talk about. I was about nine when the accident happened.”

“Where you in the car?” he asked.

She nodded. “In the back seat. I--uh,” she laughed bitterly, “my mom turned around just before the big semi-hit us. She gave me… this… look that told me… she loved me, and that I was going to be okay.”

She jumped a bit when his cold hand brushed her cheek. She saw that he wiped away tears. She cleared her throat and brushed the other tears. She turned to him and gave him a sad smile.

“Since then I’ve been living with my aunt and uncle, my aunt was my mom’s sister. My father was an only child, and his parents were dead before I was born, and my mom’s parents died too just before I was born.”

“I’m sorry,” he whispered to her and placed a lock of her hair behind her ear. It was just an excuse to touch her.

“It’s all right,” she brought that defense back up. “I found Tobi and her family took me in, sort of.”

“You two are so close that some people say you’re lesbians,” Emmett chuckled.

“Did you believe them?” she asked.

He shook his head. “No.”

She chuckled. “How do you know?” she smirked and winked.

Emmett laughed.

“Aren’t you hungry?” she asked as she offered a spoon of cereal.

He shook his head. “I ate with the others while you were upstairs… crying over a movie.”

She gasped. “How did you know? Who told you?! I bet it was Alice.”

Emmett ate the cereal she offered. It was bitter in his mouth, but he pretended it didn’t taste like ashes in his mouth. She smiled at him, and she reached to the corner of his mouth and wiped away the milk he had there.

His skin was so smooth and cold. Emmett was in his own little piece of heaven, her warm flesh on his was just the highlight of his life. He kissed the palm of her hand and he felt her blood rushing through her body.

To him, the only sound in the room was that of her heart beating like a hammer.

Ruby saw as his golden eyes darkened a bit, she was so caught up in the wonderful feeling of his lips on her, that she didn’t take notice. Her breathing hitched as he looked up at her. He had so much emotion in his eyes, even a little hunger in it.

He leaned forward, and she did too. She thought he was going to kiss her, but his lips went down to her neck. He moved her hair to the other side and his finger traced the jugular vein. He brushed his nose against her vein.

The smallest moan escaped her lips, but with his heightened hearing, heard it as if she had done it out loud.

“Ahem!” A voice said. Emmett moved away from Ruby surprised at how close he had gotten to biting her. He thought he fed well. He was supposed to be in control. The voice that disturbed them was Alice.

She had a warning look to Emmett, but it turned into a smile when Ruby looked at her.

“We’re going to start getting ready, let’s go!”

Ruby quickly finished the cereal and followed Alice. Bella was going to be the first one to be done. A few minutes after Ruby arrived, Tobi walked in.

“You so kiss him,” Ruby whispered, bumping her shoulder against Tobi.

“Almost,” Tobi whispered back, her smile never leaving her features, “but that’s not good enough.”

Ruby giggled.

“What about you?” Tobi asked her.

“What about me?”

“Did you and Emmett K-I-S-S-E-D?”

“How old are you? Ten?” Ruby scoffed defensively.

“You did?!” Tobi smirked because she only defensive when she didn’t want to admit something.

“No, but… we were close,” she shivered, in a good way, at the memory.

Emmett finished the large bear in record time. Jasper finished his too.

“That was harder than I thought,” Emmett wiped off the blood from his mouth with the back of his hand. “I came so fucking close to biting her, but at the same time, it’s good to know that I have some self control.”

Jasper felt his brother’s frustration and decided to help him and eased him.

Emmett thanked him.

Alice had Ruby’s dress spread out on the bed for her. She had gone a wonderful job on Ruby’s bruises. They were practically nonexistent.

Ruby couldn’t believe it when she looked in the mirror and saw the marvelous work Alice did.

“You’re the best, Alice,” Ruby chuckled as she touched her face.

“I know,” Alice perked. “Now, it’s Tobi’s turn, when you’re done getting dressed, you can go downstairs, Emmett is just dying to see you.”

Rosalie helped Ruby get into her dress, she held no grudge against Ruby. Her time away helped her realize that she couldn’t hold it against Ruby, as long as she wasn’t whiny like Bella about being transformed, you know, once she find out what they were.

“You look really amazing,” Bella told Ruby once she was in her dress.

“Thanks, Bells, I like your dress too,” Ruby complimented her back.

“Don’t forget this,” Rosalie said handing her the Cullen crescent necklace to Ruby.

“Thanks,” she said as she placed it on. “It’s pretty.”

Ruby felt like she was going to prom or something. She walked out of the room and headed to the stairs. The banisters were decorated very nicely and there was soft music playing. Ruby just took in all of the decorations. They were exquisite, out of a fairy tale.

And there, at the end of the steps, was her Prince Charming dressed in a tux.

Emmett was blown away by her beauty. If she had her bruise, he still would’ve thought she was the most stunning girl in the world. Her skin looked so soft. The dress was long that it hit the floor. She lifted the left side to walk down the stairs.

The way he looked at her made heat rise to her cheeks.

“You, Emmett Dale Cullen, are going to be the death of me,” she joked when she reached the bottom of the stairs. “I haven’t blushed this much since… ever.”

“You’re just… breathtaking,” he released a shaky breath hitting her with his intoxicating, sweet breath.

Her words scrambled inside of her head, so she kept her lips shut.

Bella walked down no less than five minutes after Ruby had and Tobi was the last to arrive. Ruby was pleased by how beautiful Tobi looked, girly, for once. All Cullen boys had their mates with him.

Emmett took Ruby’s hand and led her to the living room that was turned into some kind of mini-prom thing.

She laughed. “Is this our own private Prom?”

“Yes,” he said and brought her closer to his side. He had more control now, “do you like it?”

“It’s really cute, in a very cliché sort of way,” she squeezed his hand harder. “You guys are charmers.”

Emmett grinned and gave her that dimpled smile.

The slow music started, it was very romantic. Ruby chuckled, it was ‘Hello’ by Lionel Richie.

Emmett and Ruby began to slow dance, his hand remained on her lower back, and their eyes just locked together. The world dissolved around them. She smiled and closed her eyes and rested her head on his chest.

Her world was just perfect. Everything was so perfect. She found herself being truly happy. There was no need to drink, smoke or have sex to be happy. Emmett had become her drug.

She opened her eyes slowly as she realized what was going on. She had talked to him about her parents, something she rarely did, Tobi only knew about the accident, but she never spoke about it ever again. In his arms she felt safe, comfortable but she learned to never get comfortable because comfort was like a bubble, it could easy just pop.

She abruptly pulled away from him like he had shocked her.

Alice looked over to Ruby, her decision was quick and she didn’t see it coming until Ruby decided at the last minute.

Ruby walked backwards and stared at Emmett with a frightened look. What was he doing to her? She was making her feel the one thing she swore she would never let another boy make her feel… love.

“Ruby?” Tobi’s voice asked. She concerned for her best friend. She knew Ruby made brash decisions when she was feeling a little pressured.

“I can’t…” Ruby gasped like she was unable to breathe.

“Ruby, calm down,” Tobi touched her shoulder, but Ruby got away from her too.

“It’s… too much… I didn’t expect to… I shouldn’t have…”

Edward could heard her words inside of her head; she was afraid of loving Emmett. Before Jasper could use his powers to calm her down, she was out of the living room and rushed out of the Cullen’s home.

Emmett was right behind her, in human speed, of course.

Ruby hated making it look so dramatic, but she felt like she couldn’t breathe and the cold air of the night helped her clear her head.

“What is it, Ruby?” Emmett asked her.

“You!” She shouted. “You and being so damn perfect! Why can’t I find a goddamn flaw in you?!”

“Why do you want to find flaws?” he asked as he approached her carefully.

“Because I’m falling in love with you!”

He smiled. “And what is wrong with that?”

“Because it’s me we’re talking about,” she pointed to herself. “I don’t fall in love anymore.

“Why not?”

“Last rich kid I dated just took what he wanted and left,” she spat. “I swore to myself I’d never let it happen again, but here you are, rich, charming, and most of all… adorable!”

It took a lot of effort for Emmett not to smile.

“Do you honestly think I would just leave you?” he was already in front of her . “I’m in love with you, Ruby.”

She narrowed her eyes. “If you’re lying to me--”

He kissed her, he kissed her right on the lips. He couldn’t let the kiss go too far, but he just needed to show her that he didn’t plan on going anywhere. She kissed him back. Her whole body alive and aware of him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you all for the comments and stuff :D

Ruby’s Dress