Sequel: Brilliant Lies
Status: Complete

Not Your Enemy

True Potential

Image

“At least I wasn’t on my knees for other reasons,”

That single sentence kept playing inside of Ruby’s head as she headed for her first period. She didn’t really care for being late. She had other things in mind. Tobi had a secret, and best friends don’t have secrets. Especially the ones whom shared everything.

But Ruby shouldn’t be so hypocritical, she had a secret of her own. Something that happened during the summer. All Ruby could remember from that night was the blood. So much blood. It was all her fault. She should’ve known better, but she had been so careless. She never knew when to stop.

She shoved the dark thoughts away.

She was, of course, the last to arrive to her AP French class. The teacher gave her a puzzled look. Ruby was the main… topic for teachers in the lounge. Mostly because they whined how she talked back, and didn’t do shit.

So, Mr. Burnwright became a little uneasy as a pissed off Ruby walked into his classroom. Emmett sat on an empty seat and grinned to himself. It was the last seat available. He frowned when smelled that human boy’s scent on her… all over her. It made venom pile up in his mouth. He swallowed it, and watched as she made her way next to him.

She sat down and didn’t even glance at him.

Her indifference just intrigued him more.

Now it was the time he really wished he could read minds or see the future like his brother and sister. He could see Ruby was upset about something. The lines on her foreheads told him it was something important.

Mr. Burnwright started his lecture about the class being very strict.

Ruby zoned out immediately. She didn’t think about much. She lived in a town where the slightest action would boom into something huge. Hence, the coming of the Chief’s daughter, Isabella Swan. When she came… it was uproar and all the boys lined up to meet her, but in the end she chose Edward Cullen.

The Cullen’s never captured Ruby’s attention. She found them weird for not interacting with the others. She found it rude that they kept to themselves for so long, but the BAM! Along comes Bella Swan and suddenly they start to break from their little group.

She also didn’t like how Emmett looked at her lately. Oh, yeah, she noticed, even though he didn’t know about it. She knew he looked at her since the moment she entered the class room and in the parking lot too. She wasn’t oblivious to him… she just chose to ignore him.

“Miss Charleston!” Mr. Burnwright snapped.

Ruby blinked and looked at him.

“Yeah?”

“I said take out a sheet a paper and write a paragraph about yourself,” he said through gritted teeth.

She narrowed her eyes at him. The whole class stood still and watched her. Almost like she was going to attack the teacher or something.

“Whatever,” she sighed.

The class actually looked surprised that she didn’t back talk.

Truth was, she was exhausted by just thinking of the Cullen’s, Tobi’s secret, and her own. She really wished she could drink at the moment.

She was an alcoholic at the age of 17. She knew that.

Getting back to the now, she took out a piece of paper and pencil. She heard as the others scribbled away, but she just stared at the paper. She only knew Spanish, and her Spanish sucked anyways. She could barely ask for direction in Spanish, how was she supposed to pass AP French? She really needed to talk to her counselor.

“Bonjour, mon nom est Ruby, et je suis Junior à l'école secondaire,” Emmett spoke from beside her.

She turned to him with a raised eyebrow. His voice was so soothing and… velvet. She made eye contact with him. They were a dark honey color, and they shined with something inside of them that she was not used to.

“Write it down,” he whispered. His cold breath hit her face and when she inhaled it, it was like a different kind of drug.

She finally came back to her senses and hardened her look.

“If I don’t know French, what the fuck makes you think I know how to write it?”

Her vulgarity made him smile. He took one glance at the teacher, he didn’t want her to get in trouble. He quickly wrote it down. He wrote her entire paragraph for her.

He slipped it to her, and without hesitation she quickly copied the work he did for her. When she was done with it, he crumpled it up and placed it in his pocket. She sent him a smile, and that right there made his entire week worth while.

“Thanks…” she pretended not to know his name.

“Emmett,” he told her as he extended his hand.

She took his hand, and did not wince at his cold hand. “Ruby. You’re going to help me out for the rest of the year if I can’t get out, right?”

He grinned widely.

“Of course.”

“Good. Hey, you didn’t write anything bad about me, did you?” she raised an eyebrow at him.

He chuckled. “No, I don’t have anything bad to say about you.”

It was her turn to chuckle. “Really?”

He nodded.

“So, you haven’t heard anything… bad about me?”

“Yes, but I rather get to know you. You seem like a cool chick.”

“I am.”

He chuckled again.

“Time’s up!” Mr. Burnwright said and collected the papers. He began to pass out the syllabus.

At the end of the class, she was more than ready to get out.

Her next class was Art. Her one true escape from the world. She had a talent. She could draw. She could pain and sculpt. Though, she didn’t do it to her true potential. She put her real work in her notebook that was under her pillow.

Her art class was with the advance students. She knew she was advanced in art so she didn’t complain about it.

Lunch came by.

Ruby waited for Tobi as always by the entrance. Her eyes narrowed when she saw Lauren and Jessica snicker. She knew those two were always up to no good, but the good thing was that they feared her. They feared her like she was Zeus and they were mere mortals.

“Tobi is such a two face, playing the innocent act when in fact she’s a whore,” Lauren spoke before she saw Ruby.

They tried to walk past Ruby, but she stepped in front of them.

The color of their faces disappeared.

“Excuse me, Lauren,” she faked a sweet smile, “repeat what you just said to my face! Or better yet my fist!”

Ruby lunged at Lauren to hit her, but someone stopped her. It was Emmett.

“They’re not worth it,” he whispered in her ear as he held her tight against him. He was so glad he practiced being around her scent, otherwise he would’ve whisked her away and drained her dry.

Her growl came from deep within her.

“I’m gonna make these bitches learn not to spread around lies!” she fought him because Lauren and Jessica were running away and she wanted to make them suffer.

Once they were gone, he released her.

She turned around and tried to push him away, but he didn’t even flinch.

“This is none of your goddamn business, Cullen!”
♠ ♠ ♠
You guys are awesomeness!

Thanks for the comments:

DEATHBAT.
avenging angel
XxXBubblyGirlXxX
trinkeyk
Isabelle.
choirgirlx3
BreeVixen
ShortDorkyLoser
ScarlettRose21