Sequel: Brilliant Lies
Status: Complete

Not Your Enemy

Smoke and Flames

Flashbacks of that sinful night didn’t cease as the day went on. Tobi spent chemistry and lit thinking about how stupid she had been to fall under pressure so easily. It wasn’t her idea to drink but because everyone else was doing it she felt she had, and it defiantly wasn’t her idea to walk into the back room with some of the other kids out of curiosity. Lauren practically whined for half an hour before Tobi had agreed, and with alcohol in the mix things were expected to get out of hand.

It really wasn’t her fault.

People stared at her as she walked toward the lunch room, and the only person who hadn’t pointed their nose up at Tobi was the young Isabella Swan. Bella had always been so nice to Tobi, and because of that Tobi saw her as a friend; however, she also knew Bella wasn’t judging her like the others because Bella was oblivious to her past mistakes.

“Hey, Autumn!” Bella called after Tobi as the French girl passed a group of laughing boys. Tobi turned around and smiled at the stumbling brunette as she ran over. Once the pale girl reached the taller of the two she smiled up at her and crossed her arms awkwardly, “Edward and Alice wanted to know if you and Ruby wanted to eat lunch with us today instead of alone.”

“Are you guys sure you want more company at your table?” Tobi asked with a small, unsure smile. There were all of the Cullen kids plus Bella at one table and she wasn’t so sure there’d be enough room for even one more person, “I mean, I don’t want to sound rude but your table is kind of crowded.”

“Alice said she’d love to get to know you guys.”

The look in Bella’s eyes told Tobi that there was more to the story, but Tobi didn’t want to push it. It was her business and Tobi cherished personal secrets even though she didn’t have her own anymore. With a nod, Tobi agreed to the offer and walked toward the cafeteria with her pale friend in silence. There really wasn’t much to talk about, but the company was really nice.

“This is none of your goddamn business, Cullen!” Tobi heard Ruby hiss to one of the Cullens obviously.

She looked up and, for sure, there was Ruby looking up at Emmett with a heated gaze and fury written on her face. As Tobi got closer, Ruby’s eyes snapped in her direction and the once angry features softened just a little. She took a step closer to the two girls walking her way and she cast a lingering glance over Bella, Tobi recognized the small curious gleam only a best-friend would pick up.

“Bella invited us to their table today,” Tobi said with a smile. It felt so fake and foreign to her, but, because she’s been wearing it for so long, she knew it was the perfect cover to her true feelings inside, “I got tired of our crappy sophomore lonely lunch ways anyway. Why not make new friends this year?”

“I have friends,” Ruby said while rolling her eyes and tossing a disgusted look at a staring Emmett, “they’re just not at this school.”

Tobi knew what Ruby meant, but after hearing that Ruby considered her other friends her real friends made her stomach drop. Was she not the girl who sat with Ruby countless nights after she had been through a verbal war with her aunt? Wasn’t Tobi the one who stood up for Ruby when Dalton was caught with his pants down and in another girl?

All those thoughts came to mind, but Tobi didn’t let herself cry. She wasn’t going to cry in front of anybody anymore.

“Well, go eat lunch with them,” Tobi snapped and walked past Ruby more aggressively than she had actually wanted. When she reached the Cullen table with Bella, Alice stood up and jumped Tobi into a hug. The young Cullen was so short she had to pivot from the ground in order to reach Tobi’s shoulders; though, it didn’t really bother Tobi because Hannah had to do the same thing. The younger girl only stood 5’0” while Tobi stood at an amazing 5’9”.

“Nice to finally get to speak to you,” Alice chimed into Tobi’s ear before pulling away, “I’ve been trying to get Jasper to ask you to join us, but he’s too sc-“

“Hey baby,” Ruby appeared out of nowhere and wrapped her arms around Tobi’s waist, “I was thinking about you.”

Tobi smiled and rolled her eyes, happy that all hostility had disappeared, “I know. You wouldn’t be able to survive without me.”

Ruby rested her chin on Tobi’s shoulder and peered over at the Cullen family just waiting for the two to sit down. Exhaling, Tobi walked to a seat, with Ruby still behind her, and sat back so she was on her friends lap. There was, after all, only one chair left and the two always told each other that sharing was caring, but only when it was with someone you love.

Like used needles.

Tobi laughed at the thought and met eye contact with Edward. She had always thought he was a rather attractive boy, but he had a habit of staring at her in orchestra while she went off thinking about her mistakes or how bad she missed her lighter at home. It was like he knew she was thinking about something that tainted the innocence she tried to give off.

Jasper stiffened as Tobi sat across from him. The air conditioner was blowing in his direction and her scent was fully on him. It was like God was testing him that day, the day right after a missed hunting trip. He looked over at his singer with a hunger lust playing in his eyes and venom filling his once empty mouth. It was not going to be an easy year for him if her blood continuously got even more tempting with each passing day. It took all he had and more to not kill her at every run in.

Lunch passed quickly and so did the rest of the day. Before she knew it, Tobi was on her way home alone. Ruby had been picked up by Dalton, but made sure to tell Tobi she’d make it on time for dinner. Tobi just nodded and kept her mouth shut for fear of letting another slip up happen in front of Dalton. He knew she didn’t like him, and he taunted her because he could. Dalton was a total prick when it came to Tobi and Ruby’s relationship.

Tobi quickly got showered and dressed when she reached home. Her whole day had been Hell and she wanted a release. On her way out of her room, she grabbed the lighter and a pack of cigarettes sitting under her mattress. Tobi was a chain smoker when she was stressed and a total pyromaniac when it came down to dealing with it.

She walked out of her house and toward the heavily wooded area just several feet behind it. As she squatted down and put the cigarette in her mouth, Tobi looked around at the scenery. It was so peaceful and green that it made the young girl want to puke to change the color at least a little bit.

The nicotine danced in her lungs and her eyes rolled to the back of her head. It tasted so good and all her worries seemed to fade along with the smoke that escaped through her parted lips. While her lungs worked with the poison, Tobi’s hands played with the lighter. She watched the flames dance before her in utter awe and lifted it close to her face to feel its warmth.

She was careful and graceful, like she had been when she danced, but Tobi wasn’t aware of how close the flames really were to her face until she heard her name being yelled from her backyard. Quickly, Tobi put out her cigarette and hid her secret items in her pockets before putting a piece of gum in her mouth and running out of the woods toward her best-friend.

She knew what was coming next.

“Ok,” Ruby said, so oddly calm it scared Tobi, “what the Hell was Newton talking about?”

Tobi shrugged and put her hands in her pockets, feeling her lighter for comfort, “People make mistakes, and mine came two years ago when I got drunk. ‘Nough said.”

Ruby locked eyes with Tobi for several long seconds before her soft smile came on her features and her arms opened up, “’Nough said.” As she drew Tobi into a hug, Tobi smelled the faintly familiar scent of weed, alcohol, and sex on her best friend’s body. She pushed away and looked into the pinked eyes of Ruby.

“If my mom smells you, she’s going to freak.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Tobi's outfit