Not Enough Mike Stories So Here's One

Slapped!

Me, Dahlia and our mother spent the entire day at the hospital waiting for my father to come to. He did, but was in a complete daze and shortly went to sleep.

"Mom!" Maddy exclaims as she runs in the room, she wraps her arms around me before going to say hello to her aunt and grandma.
"So is everything okay?" Lyle asks from the doorway.
"Yeah." I say as Maddy climbs up on the bed and kisses her grandfather's cheek, "Thanks again for taking care of Maddy."
"Its not problem, we've been having fun, right kid-o?"
"Yup," she says happily, "Yesterday we went to see Spiderman 3 and then we went to Mc Donalds for breakfast this morning."
"Its about time you get a hang of the parenting thing." Dahlia says with slight undertones of cynacism.
"Listen Dahlia, I don't wanna fight with you, kay?" he says in a hushed voice, "I know I've been an ass but I can't exactly buy a time machine at the corner store now can I?"
"Both of you." my mother hisses.

My father lets out a loud snort before opening his eyes.
"Dad," Dahlia exclaims.
"Hey," he croaks, "Can I have some water?" my mother grabs a plastic cup of water and puts it to his mouth, he takes a hold of it and downs everything, "What happened?"
"You had a heart attack Ken." my mother says sobbing.
"Wha?" he groans as he rubs his head, "Can I go home now?"
"They said you might be able to go tomorrow." Dahlia informs.
"What are you girls doing here?" he mumbles, "Don't you have work?" we don't answer, "How long have you been here?"
"All yesterday and all today." my mom informs.
"What time is it?"
"Four-thirty." Lyle says after glancing at his watch.
"This is ridiculous, you head on home and get some rest, I'll be fine." he says shooing us away.
"Dad." I say rolling my eyes.
"No, no, I don't want to be a burden so just head on home."
"Alright." my mother sighs, "I'll be back tomorrow morning to pick you up."
"Alright." he says kissing her, "I'll see you then."
"Bye grampa." Maddy says kissing his cheek.

Back at the house my sister calls up her husband to tell him she'd be coming home tomorrow, while Maddy, Lyle, my mom and I sit at the table drinking coffee.
"Phone's all yours." Dahlia says handing me the chordless.
"Huh?"
"Don't you wanna call Mike?"
"No."
"Something happen?" she asks me quietly.
"No, no, I called him from my car." I lie, just then Lyle's cell phone starts to ring.

"Hello? . .. he babe, I'm at Maddy's grandmother's, yeah that sounds great." I can't help but feel sort of jealous of Lyle, his relationship seemed to be working fan-fucking-tastically meanwhile Mike and I are in this mess. I deserve a relationship for once. He hangs up his phone, "Do you wanna stay here with your mom or come with me?"
"Where are you going?" she asks wide-eyed.
"I'm going home for dinner."
"Oh." she says glancing at me, "I dunno."
"Go with your dad," I say waving my hand, "I'll pick you up tomorrow morning." Lyle smiles appreciativly at me.
"Well let's go." Lyle says holding out his hand for Maddy.

"That's sweet." my mother says after they leave, "it took him long enough but its great she has her father in her life now."
"Yeah," I mumble.
"I'm going to start supper now." she says getting up from the table.

"Are you okay?" Dahlia asks me.
"No," I grumble, "Mike and I got into a huge fight yesterday over the phone."
"Oh, what about?"
"He's always trying to help me like I'm a goddamn charity case." I say bitterly.
"What? And that's a problem?"
"Yes!" I hiss, "Because its like, he thinks I can't handle stuff on my own, that I need someone to take care of me."
"Or, he wants to make things easier on you?" Dahlia says rolling her eyes, "Because even though he knows you can handle your shit on your own, he wants to help you out to make things easier."
"No, but this isn't the first time he tries to do this." I say frustrated.
"God forbid a man actually loves you," she says in a pissy tone, "god forbid he tries to make hard times easier on you and asks you to marry him."
"Did you know he's been divorced twice already?" I retort.
"Oh what an honor to be Mike Dirnt's third fucking wife!" she slaps me leaving me stunned.
"With that sort of attitude you don't deserve him." she states as she gets up from the table and head into the kitchen to help my mother.