Not Enough Mike Stories So Here's One

Radio

"Well guess what people," Johnny says into the mic, "There's only two days left till our AC/DC highway to Hawaii contest left."
"That's right, go onto our site, www.wfpt.com and click on the contest icon and submit your entry and the date and time we played an AC/DC song." I say into the mic with energy drink induced enthusiasm.

"Well what's on the agenda for today?" Johnny asks himself.
"Well first off, we have the flash entertainment news, not much of it though," I laugh.
"Yeah, Ashley Simpson is planning to record of duet with her sister."
"And up and coming band Starfire will be opening for AFI at their stadium show in Oakland." I read off the paper.

"Blah, blah, blah, that's it." Johnny says throwing his paper away, "Now today, you, our listeners can call in a request songs for your sweet hearts or you know, your sworn enemies, or your mom."
"Or pet ferret." I say trying to be humorous.
"Yeah, god knows how much I love my ferret." Johnny chuckles, "So our phone number is 555-6272."
"Ahah, we have our first caller," I say reading off a paper an assistant just slipped me, "Tanya, hello Tanya?"
"Hi," she says over the speakerphone.
"What can we do for you?" Johnny asks.
"I'd like to hear Inside Out by Yellowcard," she says hopefully.
"Of course, any specific shout outs?" I ask.
"Hey Jakey!" she exclaims before the music is cued.

The song plays and I can't help but feel like I'm at an all-time low. We take call after call and play stupid song after stupid song.
"And now we have Mike." Johnny says, I can't help but perk up and pay attention. For the past two weeks, I haven't spoken a word to Mike, he called me a couple of times and I didn't pick up. I called him a couple of times but hung up by the third ring.
"Hi," he says, it was Mike, my Mike, "I was wondering if you could play Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, by U2?"
"Yeah we can," Johnny says smoothly, "A shout out?"
"Yeah, for my uhh-girlfriend, hopefully, Jade." he stutters and turn red.
"Hey the same name as my lovely co-host." Johnny laughs, "Alright so, this is out final song for our lunch-box segment, this is Johnny and Jade signing out."
"Until tomorrow, rock on." I manage to squeak before Bono's voice spills out of the speakers

Though
You think you've got the stuff
You're telling me and anyone
You're hard enough


"Good show." Johnny says taking off his head phones, I take mine off too and slump against my chair as he leaves the room.

You don't have to put up a fight
You don't have to always be right
Let me take some of the punches
For you tonight

Listen to me now
I need to let you know
You don't have to go it alone


I feel the sting of hot tears running down my cheek. I sniff and wipe my eyes, I can't help but feel excrutiatingly guilty for treating Mike the way I did.

And it's you when I look in the mirror
And it's you when I don't pick up the phone
Sometimes you can't make it on your own

We fight all the time
You and I but that's alright
We're the same soul

I don't need
I don't need to hear you say
That if we weren't so alike
You'd like me a whole lot more

Listen to me now
I need to let you know
You don't have to go it alone


I get up and head out of the room after wiping my face dry. I can still hear the song playing as I walk the hallways to the break room with luckily for me is empty. I sit at the table and lay my head down.

And it's you when I look in the mirror
And it's you when I don't pick up the phone
Sometimes you can't make it on your own

I know that we don't talk
I'm sick of it all
Can you hear me when I sing
You're the reason I sing
You're the reason why the opera's in me

Where are we now?
Still gotta let you know
A house doesn't make a home
Don't leave me here alone


"Are you okay?" one of the interns asks.
"Yeah, I'm just a little out of it today." I say as she gets a few cups of coffee and leaves the room again. I pull out my cell phone and turn it on.

And it's you when I look in the mirror
And it's you who makes it hard to let go
Sometimes you can't make it on your own
Sometimes you can't make it
The best you can do is to fake it
Sometimes you can't make it on your own


I scroll down my contact list to Mike's number. I run my fingers over the button to call him. Instead I decide to text him.
Starbucks? I stare at my phone until I get a reply. Meet you there.

I take a deep breath before leaving the building and heading to my car. I drive as quickly as possible to get to the Starbucks we met at those several months ago. I get there and see his car parked outside. I get out of my car and hurry into the building.

Mike is standing by a table and I literally run for him and wrap my arms around him.
"I'm so sorry, I'm a complete bitch, and you didn't deserve me bitching at you when all you wanted to do was help and I don't fucking deserve someone as great as you if I keep trying to push you away." he sort of half chuckles as he rubs my back.
"I got you a coffee." he says simply, "wanna sit down?"
"Yeah," I say letting go of him to find two coffees on the table.

"Why do you say stuff like that?" he asks me curiously as we sit.
"Like what?"
"Insulting yourself, saying that you don't deserve me?" he says solemnly.
"Because, you're too nice to me." I mumble.
"So you want me to abuse you?" he asks with a sarcastic laugh, "Mistreat you? Forget to show up and call? Not be hopelessly in love with you?" I can't help but smile weakly.
"I love you."
"I love you too." he says looking deep into my eyes.

"I'm sorry, I was stressed out and crap." I murmur, "I know I shouldn't have said that shit to you."
"Its okay," he says looking at me, "I know when parents are sick things can get hectic. Last year my mom had to have hip surgery."
"Oh." I smile, "Will you marry me?"
"Huh?" he says caught off guard, "You don't talk to me for two weeks and now you want to marry me?"
"Yeah, so what do you say?"
"I'm going to have to say yes." he laughs.
"Great." I say leaning foward a kissing his lips.