Not Enough Mike Stories So Here's One

Meet Lyle

After our nearly to hour drive, Maddy and I arrive at my parents’ home in Sacramento. Maddy’s all excited because it Christmas Eve. I’m sort of dreading tonight because I know for a fact Lyle is going to be at dinner and Mike said he might be able to make it for after supper but chances are he’d only come tomorrow morning.

We get out of the car and head up the front steps, Maddy rings the door bell eagerly because Dahlia’s car is already parked outside meaning her cousin Kayla was inside. My mother answers the door and pulls us both into a tight hug.
“Hey Mom.” I laugh as I hug her back.
“Gramma, you’re squeezing me too tight.” Maddy squeaks.
“Oh Madison, you’re getting so tall!” my mother says, practically with tears in her eyes, “Oh come in you two it’s freezing.”

Madison and I take off our shoes and jackets before heading into the living room, leaving our suitcases in the hall.
“Madison, oh you’re turning into young lady!” Lyle’s mother says wrapping her arms around her.
“Merry Christmas Gramma Angela.” Maddy says accepting another hug.
“Jade, you’re looking well.” She says too me as we loosely hug, “Don’t worry, Lyle will be here in time for supper.”
“Great.” I say faking a smile, Maddy nods as she goes off to find Kayla who’s probably in the basement watching Christmas specials on TV.

I head into the kitchen to find my sister and my mom arguing over the soup.
“Ma! You can’t add that much salt! You’re going to kill everyone!” Dahlia exclaims waving the wooden spoon in the air.
“Its fine, it’s a big batch, we have to add more salt!” my mom retorts. I laugh and take the spoon from my older sister and taste the soup.
“Soup’s fine.” I say handing the spoon back. My mother rolls her eyes and checks on the turkey in the oven.

Dahlia pulls me aside.
“I’m so sorry, I heard Lyle’s coming.” She whispers.
“I know!” I hiss back, “Did he just invite himself!”
“I invited him.” my mother interrupts.
“Mom!” I exclaim, “He doesn’t even give a sh-“
“Before he didn’t, but you pushed him away so now he feels awkward. I invited him so he can be back in the circle and he can take the steps to being a part of Madison’s life.” Dahlia and I stare at her in disbelief, “She needs a father figure.”
“Yeah a father figure not a jackass!” Dahlia exclaims.
“Oh you two haven’t seen him, for what? Three, four years? He’s grown up since then.” My sister and I cross our arms and I walk out of the kitchen.

I head to the basement to find Maddy and Kayla sitting in front of the TV, my father asleep on one couch and Dahlia’s husband Freddie sitting on the other couch.
“Hey brother-in-law.” I say sitting on the couch.
“So I take it you found out about Lyle.” He chuckles, “You should’ve seen your sister’s face when Angela told her.”
“Don’t remind me.” I sigh.
“It can’t be all bad.”
“He’s probably going to come with his latest white trash girlfriend and just gloat about how responsibility free his life is! Then he’ll pretend to give a damn about Maddy for a whole of five minutes just so he can prove to his trashy girlfriend that he can be paternal so she’ll fuck his brains out.” Maddy and Kayla turn around shocked.
“Mom, its okay.” Maddy says gritting her teeth, “Chill.” I turn back to Freddie who’s got a stupid grin on his face.
“That right there proves that you and your sister’s ranting skills are genetic.”
“You jerk.” I joke as I slap his arm playfully.

“So Dahlia tells me you have a new boyfriend.”
“He’s awesome!” Maddy says randomly.
“He is awesome.” I say to Freddie.
“Dahlia tells me he’s some sorta rock star, she couldn’t remember the band though.”
“Green Day.” I say simply. He stares at me.
“You’re fucking kidding me, right?” he says in disbelief, “American Idiot, Minority, Time of You’re fucking Life!”
“Yeah just about.” He rolls his eyes.
“How are you so coy?”
“Its not a big deal, its not like he’s like one of The Beatles where he’s being chased down the street by a mob of teenage girls.” I sigh, “He hasn’t been recognized once in all the times we’ve gone out.”
“So when do I get to meet him.”
“He’s actually supposed to drive down for tomorrow’s big Christmas breakfast.” I laugh, “Just try not to act like a big dweeb.”

“I should be heading up to make sure your wife and my mother aren’t killing each other.” He laughs as I head up the stairs to find my mother and sister quietly moving cookies from the sheet to the plate.
“Need any help?” I ask shoving my hands into my pockets.
“Nope.” My mother says looking over the cookie platter, “Girls! Cookies!” the sound of Kayla and Madison running up the stairs is almost adds a bit of excitement to the air. My father appears after the girls.
“Did you say cookies?”

DING! DONG!
“I’ll get it.” My mother says as she scurries over to the door. My sister and I follow slowly behind. She opens the door revealing Lyle in a pinstripe suit and tasteful overcoat.
“Wow, he’s cleaned up.” Dahlia whispers to me. She was right, he was clean shaven and his hair was short and lightly gelled.
“Yeah.” I say simply, “Why’s he alone?”
“Single?”

“Jade!” he says walking up to me with open arms, “It’s been too long.”
“Yes it has.” I murmur as I hug him back. He lets go and heads into the kitchen where Maddy is sitting munching on a cookie. “I need a drink.”
“Hey Maddy, Merry Christmas.” He says cheesily.
“Hello Lyle.” She says bluntly.
“Awe, why don’t you call me Dad?”
“Lyle is fine thanks.” She says trying not to be rude.
“We should start spending more time together, don’t you think?”
“Whatever.” She says as she hops off the bench and heads back into the basement, younger cousin Kayla not far behind.

He sighs.
“I know I deserved that, but-“
“S’okay.” I murmur as I go to pour myself a glass of wine, “So where’s umm whatsername? Taryn?”
“Taylor.” He corrects, “We broke up a while ago.” I nod and start to walk off.
“So are you still working at that radio station?” I talk a big gulp from my glass and turn around with a fake smile.
“Yeah, but I’ve been promoted to head mixer.”
“That’s great, I’m doing computer programming now.” He states, “Job is boring as hell but the pay is pretty decent.”
“That’s great.” I say patting his shoulder. I take another sip of wine then refill my glass. I couldn’t stand this guy, even his new clean shaven personality. “You’ve come far from your six inch mohawk.”
“Yeah,” he laughs, “So have you.” I head back downstairs to the safety of the TV room.

Seconds after I sit down leaving a sofa cushion in between me and Freddie, Lyle plops down in between us. I wish he’d burst into flames then never be seen again.
“Hey Freddie, long time no see.”
“Yeah, hey.” Freddie says awkwardly, “Uh you look, clean.” Lyle laughs a phony laugh.
“Awe, yeah. Its great being together for the holidays.”

The evening continues with a lot of wine on my part. After dinner I’m starting to feel a little bit light headed, but nothing too hazardous. My dad was back asleep on the couch after eating a good portion of the turkey, Angela and my mother had gone into the kitchen for some nice chit chat while they tidied up, the girls were watching a TV movie with Freddie leaving Dahlia, Lyle and I at the table.
“Got to powder my nose.” Dahlia says getting up, shooting me an apologetic look. I nod and avoid making eye contact with Lyle.

“Jade, I’ve been thinking lately.” He says smoothly, but not seductive smooth like Mike talks, more like con-man smooth, “I want to be a part of Madison’s life again.”
“You’ve said that before.” I retort.
“I know, but I really mean it this time, I’ve grown up a lot these past couple of years.”
“Yeah you come to Christmas Eve dinner in a suit and expect everything to change?”
“I know I’ve been a jerk in the past, but I’m ready to step up.” He says apologetically, “And give us, as a couple a chance.”
“Now you decide to step up?!” I explode.
“Please Jade, I had just turned twenty, I was a kid, I was scared.”
“You were scared!” now I had enough, “I was a year younger than you! Didn’t you think I was scared? I was the one carrying the baby! Don’t you think I was petrified to tell my parents, alone on top of it? And where were you those nine months of emotional and physical hell? Do you know how scary that was? Especially going in for my college classes! Not to mention raising a new born alone! Thank god my mother was there cause you sure as hell weren’t!” he stares at me with his stupid buggy, fake apologetic eyes, “So don’t tell me you were scared, because compared to me you were fucking Disney World! And I wouldn’t even give us a second chance if my life depended on it!” I took a deep breath signaling my rant was over. I hear someone clear their throat from behind me. I turn around to see Mike, and Dahlia not far behind.

“Am I interrupting?” he asks carefully.
“No, we’re done.” I say standing up, I trip over my own foot on my way over to Mike. “Mike this is Madison’s father, Lyle. Lyle, my boyfriendMike.”
“Nice to meet you.” Mike says as I hold onto his shoulders for balance.
“Same.” Lyle says quietly, not making eye contact with any of us.

Mike and I walk into the hall where I give him his official kiss hello.
“Are you drunk?” he whispers.
“No,” I pause, “I might be, I lost track of how many glasses of wine, I’m drunk.”
“Ahh.” He chuckles, “Would Lyle’s presence have anything to do with it?”
“Yeah, just about.” I nod into his shoulder, “Don’t tell Maddy I’m drunk.”
“Don’t worry, I won’t.” he says, I look up at his cool blue eyes, “Wanna go sit down?”
“That would be great.” I say as we head down stairs to watch TV with everyone else.

“Your sister introduced me to your mom,” Mike says as we carefully step down the stairs, “She seems pretty nice.”
“Thanks.”
“I’ve never seen you pissed like that,” he comments, “So does this mean you’re an angry drunk.” We both laugh.
“Only around Lyle.”

We manage our way to the sofa and take our seats.
“Mike!” Maddy exclaims happily, “You came.”
“Yup, I wouldn’t miss this.” Maddy climbs onto my lap and scraping together the last bit of better judgment the alcohol hasn’t deteriorated I decide to keep my mouth shut.
“Hi, I’m Freddie.” My brother-in-law says simply, “This is my daughter Kayla.” He motions to the sleeping seven year old who’s leaning on him.
“I’m Mike.”

I feel myself drifting off into sleep on Mike’s shoulder. Next thing I know Mike is shaking me awake and my mother is calling.
“Midnight! Midnight everyone! Come up stairs.” I rub my eyes and see Madison is still asleep on my lap.
“C’mon Maddy, wake up, Santa came.” Mike says, she cranes her neck.
“Santa doesn’t exist, the only fat man here is grandpa.” She puts her head back down and Mike, Freddie and I burst out laughing.
“I’m not that fat.” My father, who’d somehow made his way to the basement, says.
“Oh Mike, this is my dad and-“
“We were introduced while you slept.” My dad laughs. I nod and Mike picks Maddy up off of me and carries her up stairs. Freddie carries Kayla up the stairs next leaving me and my father to walk up together.

“He seems like a very nice guy this Mike.” He says nodding, “We talked while you were passed out.”
“I just nodded off for a bit.”
“Sweetie, I was how much you drank, don’t lie.” I nod as I rub my pounding forehead.
“Fair enough.”
“So he’s a rock star.” My father says making a really lame impression of a head banger. We laugh, “There’s aspirin in the medicine cabinet.”
“Thanks.” I murmur as he heads into the living room and I head into the washroom.

I pop a couple of white pills before joining everyone in the living room by the Christmas tree. I stand next to Mike who’s still holding, a now awake, Madison.
“Okay, one gift each and then we open the rest in the morning.” My mother says. My father puts on a Santa hat and starts handing out the presents he and my mom got for everyone. I remember I left the presents I bought in the trunk of the car, oh screw it, Dahlia can give my parents their gifts now.
“Mike, Madison and Jade.” My father hands me three gift boxes.
“Ready to go back on the ground?” Mike jokes.
“Ohhh-kay.” Maddy sighs as Mike puts her down. I glance over at Lyle who’s glaring at Mike. He looked pissed off that he’d been ‘replaced’ but he was never there to be replaced in the first place, there was just void.
I give Maddy her gift and Mike his.

Maddy opens hers to find its one of those jewelry making kits.
“Thanks Gramma!” she exclaims. Mike opens his and starts laughing, my parents had gotten him a Starbucks canister.
“Thank you very much.” He laughs, “Coffee addiction rumors really get around, huh.”
“Yeah.” I joke as I open my gift which is a stylish sweater, I can tell my mom got my sister’s opinion on this because face it my mother doesn’t know what’s ‘hip.’ I stand up and go to hug my mom.
“Does Mike like his gift, I wasn’t sure if you were joking about the whole Starbucks thing.”
“Its great, everything’s great.” I say nodding, oh yeah I’m drunk. I go back to sit down with Mike and Maddy.

Maddy and Kayla fall asleep about a second after they opened their gifts.
“I’m just going to put Kayla to bed.” Freddie announces probably because Kayla was on his lap and his leg was about to fall asleep.
“Put her in the sofa-bed downstairs.” My mother says nodding towards the basement door, “She and Maddy will bunk together.”
“I’ll take her.” Mike whispers to me seeing I’m feeling dizzy and queasy.
“Thanks.” I murmur.

“I’ll take her!” Lyle interrupts, sounding rude, he receives awkward stares from everyone in the room. Mike carefully passes Maddy’s sleeping figure over to him.
“He’s an ass hole.” I mumble into Mike’s ear.
“He’s her dad, I can understand why he’s feeling jealous.”
“He’s just the goddamn sperm donor, he’s not her dad, she has no dad.”
“Maybe you should go to sleep too, before you say something you regret.”
“You’re probably right.”

My mother probably heard us because she said,
“You guys are staying in her old room, up the stairs second door to the right.” She turns to everyone else, “Angela, you can have the guest room, Dahlia, you’re old room is set up too, and Lyle you can sleep on the couch here.”

Everyone goes their separate ways. Mike and I head to the stairs.
“Oh! My bag.” I murmur.
“I brought it up to your room.” My father says as he goes into the bathroom.
“Right.” I say rubbing my stomach.
“You going to puke?” Mike asks as we reach the top of the stairs. I hurry over to the bathroom and upchuck. As I rinse out my mouth I feel surprisingly better except for my head ache.
“Much better.” I say leading Mike into my teenage room. He looks around at the posters and chuckles to himself, “Someone had a thing for The Clash.”
“Yup, just about.” I say as I fall to my knees and open my bag. I change into my plaid pajama pants and blue tank top as Mike strips down to his boxers.

I fall asleep almost instantly in Mike’s arms.