Not Enough Mike Stories So Here's One

Christmas Day

I wake up and my head is pounding and the smell of bacon is making my head ache worse. I carefully crawl out of my old bed and make my way into the washroom, I hear only three voices coming from downstairs, my mother’s, Kayla’s and Madison’s. I take a couple more aspirin and drink two glasses of water before crawling back into bed with Mike.
“Mmm, good morning.” Mike mumbles. I kiss his lips before resting my head on his chest.
“Good morning.” I sigh, “sorry about last night, I’m a bit of a mean drunk.” He laughs.
“I’ve seen worse.”
“And sorry about the lack of sex.” I joke.
“It wouldn’t have been that good anyway.” He says nonchalantly, “Teenage bedroom sex is only good if one of the participants sneaks through the window, and frankly I wasn’t up for that especially when it’s that cold out.”
“Fair enough.” I giggle, “Not to mention everyone would hear us considering how much this bed squeaks.” Mike rolls around a bit just to prove my point.

I hear my father walk past my door and seconds later I hear the shower.
“We’re going to have to get up soon.” I groan as I sit up. I see out the window Lyle’s car is still there, “Do you think it’s inappropriate to drink before noon?” Mike laughs.
“Not at all, I’ve done it countless times.”
“I hate Lyle, and I think Lyle hates you.”
“He’s just jealous cause I’m sexy and I’m sleeping with the hottest girl he’s ever been with.”
“Oh yeah.” I say as I straddle his hips, “you think you’re sexy.”
“That’s what you say when I’m in you.” I slap his arm playfully.
“You’re really perverted sometimes.”
“Oh but I know you like it.”

Mike starts toying with the draw string of my pajama pants absent-mindedly. I hear the bathroom door open and the thump of my father’s footsteps going down the stairs and another set of footsteps head from Dahlia’s room to the bathroom.
“So what happened when I fell asleep yesterday?”
“You mean when you passed out?” Mike teases, I nod, “Nothing much really, your father woke up and started talking to me about my band and Stella and stuff like that.” I flop over so I’m lying back next to Mike.
“Talking about Stella, how is she?”
“She’s great, supper yesterday was at her mom’s house, I waited till she fell asleep before I came here.”

KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!
“Yeah?” I call.
“Auntie Jade!” Kayla calls, “Gramma told me to wake everyone up to come downstairs.”
“Thanks, we’ll be down in a sec.” I push the blankets aside as Mike and I get out of bed. After catching a glimpse of myself in the mirror and the amount of cleavage this tank top shows, I decide to put a t-shirt on over my tank top. Last thing I wanted was Lyle gawking at me at the breakfast table. I open one of the dresser drawers and luckily enough I find my old grey gym shirt, with the faded red high school logo across the chest and everything. I pull it on over my head then tie my hair into a ponytail.

“Trenton High.” Mike reads smugly. I look him over, he’s in a pair of faded jeans and a black man tank. He’s bare foot of course, he looks really laid back and well, sexy. We head downstairs, we’re last to get to the dining room table where pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon, tater tots, toast, coffee and orange juice overpower everything else.

“Alright, everyone dig in.” my mother announces and we do. We all knew, and I think Mike picked up on this, that my mother would not let us leave the table until every piece of food had been consumed. I managed to ignore Lyle and his oh so clever comments by thinking about how sexy Mike looks.

As everyone is down to their last pieces of toast I remember that I still hadn’t brought the gifts in from my car. I excuse myself and head out to my car, in my pajamas no less. None of the neighbors were outside, and if they were I wouldn’t care less. I open the trunk of my car and pull out the big bag of gifts. I get back in the house and place the bag of gifts next to the tree before returning into the living room.

My mother looks over the table and seeing that the only remaining food is a piece of toast and a few tater tots she motions for everyone to go into the living room to open presents.
I pass out all my gifts saving Mike for last.

He cocks an eyebrow at the flat square package before unwrapping it from the Christmas paper.
“Holy Sh-“ he stops himself from swearing just in time, “How’d you? Wow, this is great.” He gasps.
“What is it?” my father asks craning his neck to see.
“It’s the first edition of the London Calling album, autographed and everything.” I say quite proud of myself.
“How’d you manage to get this?” Mike asks still in awe.
“I work at a radio station, I have my sources.” I smile; it wasn’t easy nor cheap to get either. They didn’t even have it on eBay; I had to call an old deejay friend who’s working a London rock station.
“This is, I’m speechless.” Mike gasps as he runs his fingers over the tattered cardboard sleeve. “Thank you.” he kisses me gently.

“Sorry but for the most part I was uncreative with my gifts mainly because I met most of you yesterday.” Mike says about ready to pass out his gifts.
“Its okay Mike, you didn’t have to get us anything.” My mother fusses. Mike hands out gift cards for Borders bookstore to everyone except me and the girls. He gives the girls identical presents and they unwrap them in a hurry to see they both go Ipods.
“Thanks Mike!” they yelp one after another. I can see the look of distaste on Lyle’s face, he’s bitter because he got Maddy a few Barbie dolls and found out she hates them because they promote sexist ideals.

Dahlia and Freddie started handing out their presents when Mike handed me a flat rectangular package.
“If you don’t like it or if-“ I roll my eyes.
“Let me open it first.” I laugh. I unwrap to find a pamphlet with two tickets to the Bahamas. “And why wouldn’t like this?”
“Well, I didn’t know if you’d want to go on vacation with me.” he says meekly. I roll my eyes and grab his cheeks pulling him into a kiss.

An hour later we find ourselves cleaning up; Mike and I decided to clean up the living room.
“So does your family do this every year?”
“Yeah pretty much.” I nod, as I stuff another wad of wrapping paper into the garbage bag, “We started doing this when I first moved to Oakland, because at the time I could just make ends meet and my parents wanted Maddy to have a real pampered Christmas.” Mike laughs, “And then when I got on my feet, I don’t know it just continued.”

A couple of hours later Maddy and I find ourselves at Mike’s house for his family’s Christmas dinner. We decided to come early for lack of anything better to do. Stella answers the door and I give her a Christmas present before she and Maddy scamper off. Whatever he’s cooking smells great, and I follow that smell into the kitchen where I find him checking something in the oven.
“Oh, I love a man who cooks.” I joke as I take a seat at the counter. Mike smiles cheekily. He comes over and kisses me, “what’s on the menu?”
“Ham roast and mashed potatoes and well gravy and uhh salad.” He says pecking one of my cheeks after listing everyone.
“So am I going to meet your family today?” he sighs mid-laugh.
“Yeah, you are. My sister and my mother, I guess I should tell you now, before you meet them.”
“Tell me what?”
“I was adopted.” I cock an eyebrow.
“Are you serious?”
“Yeah, I don’t know who my real mother is, and well that’ll explain why I don’t look a whole lot like my family.”
“Fair enough.” I say digesting what he just said.
“They’re going to be here soon.” He says glancing at the clock.

We spend the next little while chatting about his family, his older sister Myla and her husband Brandon. Finally the bell rings and we both head to the door. He opens the door revealing a jolly older lady. She’s even shorter than I am and she pulls Mike into a hug, wrung by the neck.
“You look too skinny, have you been eating alright?” she rambles.
“Mom,” he interrupts, “this is my girlfriend Jade.”
“Ohh! She’s so pretty!” she says pulling me into a hug.
“Its nice to meet you.” I say awkwardly, wow she’s really friendly.

“Wasn’t Myla supposed to drive you?” Mike asks as we go into the kitchen.
“Yes, but I told her it was okay, I took a taxi.” She checks on the ham in the oven and the pot of boiling potatoes.
“Can you relax a minute?” Mike jokes, “You’re going to give yourself a heart attack.
“Oh, right, where’s Stella then?”
“She should be in the living room.” Mike says pointing at the door.

“She’s really nice.” I say laughing as she leaves the room. Mike laughs too.
“I hope she didn’t suffocate you.”
“Madison looks just like you.” the older woman says as she comes back into the kitchen.
“Thank you.”

The door bell rings for a second time.
“That should be your sister.” Mike’s mother says as she heads for the door. We follow behind and get to the door just as she’s opening it.
“Hey Mom.” A woman a couple of years older than Mike says as she hugs the other woman, “Merry Christmas.”
“Oh Merry Christmas,” Mike’s mother chants, “oh hello Brandon!”
“Hi Cheryl.” The man who must be Myla’s husband says.

“Myla this, is Jade.” Mike introduces.
“Great to meet you.” she says hugging me, then whispers, “You’re all Mike talks about.” I can’t help but smile as I feel my cheeks blush. “Is that your daughter?” I turn around to see Maddy standing there shyly.
“Yeah, my daughter Madison.” I say stepping aside, “Maddy, this is Mike’s sister, Myla.”
“Auntie Myla!” Stella exclaims excitedly.
“Hey Stella, are you having a good Christmas so far?” Stella nods excitedly.

Christmas day proceeds smoothly, Maddy and I were more than accepted by Mike’s family.