He Looks Just Like You

I

Dean cleared his throat as he came out of the bathroom, a dodgy motel towel slung loosely around his hips as his hair dripped water down his chiseled chest. He noticed his brother’s gigantic form in the corner, hunched over his laptop, tapping away. He made sure the towel was secured before stepping completely out of the bathroom. He cleared his throat again and waited. Not a minute later Sam looked up, dazed as if just coming out of a trance.

“Did you say something?”

“No.” Dean muttered before leaning over to grab a fresh t-shirt. “Got anything?”

“Not really. Just some half baked myths that don’t go any where. I think I might know what we’re dealing with though, but I’m not completely sure.” Sam frowned and leaned back in the cheap motel chair.

“Well what are your theories?”

“Harpies.”

“Are you serious?” Dean dead-panned. “There hasn’t been a legit Harpy sighting since, what, the eighteen hundreds. No way is it a Harpy.”

“Well that’s what it seems like it is.” Sam sighed before looking over at his brother. “You better have left me some hot water.”

“Uh, yeah.” Dean looked away.

“Dude.” Sam waved his arms before letting them drop in defeat.

“Just wait til morning Princess.” Dean shoved his legs through his jeans and buttoned them shut.

“Next time I get first shower. And first pick of the bed. I swear my bed smells like sex.”

“Oh Sammy, get to sleep in a jizzed up mattress.” Dean jibbed, his eyes glowing with amusement.

“Bite me.” Sam huffed. Dean was about to retort when his phone began ringing, ‘smoke on the water’ playing musically. He leaned over his bed and grabbed his phone before straightening and flipping the phone open, not recognizing the number.

“Hello?” Dean mumbled, rubbing his eyes as a feminine voice questioned him. “Yeah this is Dean.”

“Who is it?” Sam mouthed to which Dean shrugged.

“Who is this?” Dean asked as he moved for the kitchen to get himself a beer. “Of course I remember you, how could I forget?”

“Dean.” Sam frowned and prompted. Dean held a finger up and turned away.

“What’s wrong?” He asked. A moment passed before he dropped his beer and froze, his eyes growing wide. “What? How? Are you sure? Well are you alright? Where are you?”

“Dean, what’s going on?”

“I’ll be there as soon as I can. Just stay calm, don’t panic. It’s alright. Of course I’m going to be there. Alright, I’ll be there as soon as possible.” With that said he shut his phone and grabbed his bag before stuffing clothes into it.

“Dean, is everything alright?” Sam got up; his brow creased in worry as Dean randomly threw stuff into his bag before shoving his jacket on and going for the door.

“I have to go.”

“Dean, talk to me. What’s wrong?” Sam stopped his brother with a strong hand on his arm.

“I can’t Sammy. I just have to go.”

“Well hang on, give me five minutes and I’ll be ready to go.”

“No.” Sam stopped at the urgent tone in his brother’s demand. “This is for me to do on my own. Stay here, finish the case.”

“Dean,”

“Just. Do the job Sam. I’m on my phone. I’ll see you when this blows over.” Dean opened the door and moved for the Impala quickly.

“That’s it, no word and you just expect me to let you go?” Sam followed him.

“Yeah, I expect you to do just that. I’m not asking you Sam, I’m telling you. This isn’t your problem so just, work the damn case and let me go.” Dean threw his bag into the back seat and climbed in behind the wheel.

“Well at least tell me what’s going on.” Sam insisted.

“Can’t.”

“What do you mean you can’t?”

“I can’t because I don’t know.” Dean sighed and turned the car on, the engine roaring to life.

“Then why are you leaving so quickly? What’s so important that you can’t even wait to figure it out? Is someone hurt?”

“You could say that.” Dean dropped his head before shaking it and looking up at his brother. “I’ll call you when I’m there.”

“Dean?” Sam called out as he watched his brother speed off. Within moments the Impala was a tiny blip in the distance and Sam was standing alone in the cheap motel parking lot with no clue as to what was going on with his brother.