Status: As completed as it'll ever be.

'Cause No One Knows You Like I Do.

I Could Get Lost In A Voice Like Yours.

It was clear that leaving Jack and I in charge of anything together was not a good plan. While I was sensible around most people, Jack brought out a side of me that people rarely saw - the side that just didn't care what I was doing as long as it involved having a good time.
"Dude, it's not even cooked! Look!" Jack shouted at me, holding out a burger and showing me the pink in the middle as I tried to re-light the grill that I had turned my back on for two minutes a little while earlier. Jack had automatically blamed the incident on me and taken to telling me how badly I had cooked the food we needed for later, though the silly grin on his face showed me clearly that he didn't blame me at all, or even care for that matter. I huffed, blowing my light brown hair out of my eyes and trying to remember the trick that lit Rian's grill.
"It's not even my fault! You distracted me! Nobody else distracts me and everything always turns out fine, but, no, you're Jack Barakat, you have to distract me and ruin my food!" I was pouting now, throwing the pack of matches at Jack from my position on the floor and folding my arms like a three-year-old child. I heard the laughter before I even saw him smile, and soon he was bent over almost as low down as I was and close to tears. I felt my lips curling up slightly and knew the pout I had set so firmly in place was already beginning to fail.
“I’m sorry,” he wheezed, still showing signs of the laughing fit he had just had. “It’s just you look so childish sat pouting like that.” His hands found their way to my hair, ruffling it lightly and sending a quick grin my way before he picked up the matches that had slid halfway across the room during my fit. “There, all done.” The gas had finally stayed on after only a few seconds of him trying and the flames were already burning well. I groaned, annoyed that he had outdone me so easily in such a short space of time.
“Hey, guys, those burgers done yet?” Zack asked, walking into the kitchen with a crate of beer on his shoulder. He carried it with ease and I could see the shock on Lisa’s face. We all knew he had strength, and we all knew he made carrying anything look easy, but her face never did differ from the expression it had on it now. Jack snorted at Zack’s question.
“Not even close. Genius Girl over there somehow found a way to un-light a lit grill and keep the food uncooked without so much as looking at the thing.” I smiled innocently up at Zack, who looked down at me from my spot on the floor without surprise. I guess I was just too predictably clumsy. Jack sat on the floor beside me, putting my legs over his as we watched Zack and Lisa putting the alcohol in the fridge and walk out of the room, knowing fine well that if we left now the meat under the grill would either never get cooked or we'd forget and they'd be burned before Rian even touched them.
I watched my closest friend tracing patterns on my overly exposed legs, wondering just what was going on in his mind, though always have that vague inkling that I knew what it was. He turned to face me with a smirk playing on the half of his face I could see and that glint he always had in his eyes that signalled mischief. I can't recall the last time I saw him without that little glint.
Well, I guess I could. But that wasn't up for discussion.
I knew exactly how long we sat there looking at each other with that same look. That exact same knowing in our eyes that no one else would ever understand. How did I know? I'd set the timer on the grill right before he'd given me that look.
"Where's my Jager!" Alex screeched as the night wore on. The barbeque had long since died out and darkness had set in. We were all still sat outside in Rian's yard, though the heat had lessened considerably and there were occasional shivers before the alcohol had been brought out in its entirety. I pulled my jacket further around myself, crossing my arms over the thick bottle shape underneath so Alex wouldn't figure out exactly where it had gotten to and, hopefully, blame it on alcohol induced memory loss. I caught the look Lisa gave me and bit my lip, knowing she knew I had taken it from under her boyfriend's nose.
"I am so walking her home right now," Jack stated, looking at me strangely as I burst into a fit of giggles. His interpretation of the giggling was that I had by far had too much to drink, whereas my interpretation (while his was partially true) was just that Alex's face was priceless. I watched as all my friends nodded to him, clearly agreeing with his interpretation of my actions, though noting the look on Lisa's face as she bit down on her lip to keep from laughing along with me. I groaned, pouting up at Jack, who immediately held his hand out to pull me up. "Come on, Becca, let's get you home." I grinned, grabbing hold of his hand and allowing him to pull me up, not letting go when I was on my feet. "We'll see you tomorrow," he said to our friends while I gave them all a quick wave and turned with Jack to leave.
"I don't see how you're supposed to look after me when you're as drunk as I am," I told him, scrunching up my face.
"I so am not as drunk as you. I haven't gotten to the random fits of giggles phase yet," he replied without even looking at me, though there was a grin creeping up along his face that showed he knew exactly what the phase signalled.
"Oh, please, I haven't been in that state in a year now," I stated, pulling the bottle of Jagermeister out of my jacket and placing it in my bag as soon as we hit the corner of Rian's street. Jack watched as I did, grin spreading further until it looked like he was about to burst into another fit of laughter. "Told you so."
"That's stealing, Bec."
"Borrowing, actually. I'll give him a full bottle next time I see him. It's just too much fun this way." Jack smiled at me, holding his spare hand out for the bottle and taking a swig the moment I gave it to him.
By the time Jack and I hit my apartment, the bottle of Jager had about two swigs left and the both of us were stumbling everywhere, neither of us able to get the key in the lock until I stood there for a few minutes trying and finally succeeded. The pair of us stumbled into my apartment, tripping over everything that wasn't in our direct line of sight and making our way over to my bedroom, where the both of us would always sleep.
"Jack," I whispered, sat on my bed in only my underwear rather than finding a pair of short and a t-shirt to sleep in. "Come here." I wasn't sure why I was whispering, but it was the same stage whisper any drunken person would recognise immediately. The lanky boy leaned in toward me, bending his knees so he was at my height. I beckoned him forward. "Guess what?"
"What?" He was using the same whisper I was, as though it were infectious. He came a little closer to me. I bit my lip to suppress a giggle and pulled him forward even more.
Straight onto my lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry, I know, I utterly suck. I'm basically not living at home, I'm swamped with college work. This isn't easy for me.