Sequel: Such a Surreal Place
Status: Complete with a sequel

It's Almost Easy

Melissa

“Ashleigh, you have a visitor,” the receptionist said through the doorway.

“Oh, okay. Let ‘em through then,” I said from Syn’s side. He tried out his guitar piece again as the receptionist disappeared. A few minutes later, a familiar face walked through the door. I screamed with surprise and joy.

“Melissa!” I shouted as I tried standing up, forgetting about my broken ankle. I stumbled and fell to my right onto Syn, who laughed and just tried to keep me steady.

“Ashleigh!” Melissa mimicked me as she half-ran across the room to embrace me in a long hug. “What happened to you?”

“Fell out of a tree,” I answered and we laughed. “What happened to you and Disturbed?”

“Fired me,” she replied, shrugging the question away quickly. “Who’s that sexy gentleman behind you?” She motioned towards Syn.

“My boyfriend, Brian,” I announced proudly with a bigger smile than I had hoped for. Guess I really was pleased that he was mine.

“Wow... Nice catch...” she said (honestly) and we giggled again. Syn was speechless (for once).

“Do you know the rest of the band?” I asked her and she shook her head. “Okay, well Jimmy and Matt are practicing vocals at the moment.” I pointed to the window where we could see them discussing lyrics.

“Okay...”

“Johnny’s over there in the corner, banging his bass, as usual,” I commented and Mel laughed.

“And who’s that?” She seemed very interested in the only person I hadn’t mentioned.

“Mr Zacky Vengeance.”

“Huh...” Mel left my side and headed over to sit next to him. He was absorbed in his guitar piece, but noticed when there was a random female sitting next to him. He stared at her, then played a wolf whistle on his guitar.

“Hello there,” he said, trying to be impressive.

“Mel,” Melissa said, extending her hand. Zacky took it and they shook hands firmly.

“Zacky.”

After that, they didn’t shut up. Zacky didn’t finish his guitar piece, so I only had Syn’s intuition to go with for the song. Which was stupid because it really needed two guitarists. I mean, it was an Avenged Sevenfold song.

“Hey, Ash, what’s the time?” Brian asked me sleepily. I glanced at my cell phone as he yawned.

“Time to go home for the night,” I said as he rested his head on my shoulder. Aw. Did I mention he was totally adorable when he was sleeping? Or pretending to...

“Thank God. This must’ve been the longest day EVER in the studio,” Johnny said and he seemed to vanish, leaving the room the fastest I’ve ever seen anyone leave. Matt left with Jimmy, still discussing lyrics. They were going to meet with their girlfriends for dinner. A double date.

“So... What are you doing tonight?” I heard Zacky ask Mel as he put his guitar on its stand.

“I don’t have any plans...” she replied mysteriously. Zacky held out his arm, bent at the elbow. Mel linked hers in his and Zacky escorted her out of the studio. Typically, I was left with Syn. But this time, I didn’t have a problem with that.

“Hey, sleepyhead,” I said gently and he groaned.

“5 more minutes, Mom,” he whined, keeping his eyes shut. He didn’t keep a straight face though. We cracked up simultaneously at his lame joke.

“Come on...” I stood up and used my crutches to hobble over to the door. I looked over my shoulder to see he was lying on the couch and not willing to move whatsoever. “Gates!”

“I’m coming...” After I waited for roughly a minute, I left and hobbled out to get a taxi. He could drive himself home. I had just about flagged one down when he joined me outside.

“Nice to see you’re awake,” I commented, not looking at him.

“Can you drive? I don’t wanna fall asleep,” he asked, holding out his keys to me. “I’m really tired.”

“I can tell.” I looked him up and down. His eyes were drooping so much and I felt sorry for him. “But you do realise that I have a broken ankle, don’t you?”

“Oh, shit...” he looked to the ground and thought about it for a moment. “Don’t worry, I’ll drive.”

“You can’t – you’re far too tired!”

“’Night,” he said, kissing my cheek. “See ya tomorrow.”

“Gates!” I called after him. He ignored me and kept on walking to his car. I figured he would be okay.

But when you’re at the studio the next day, it’s past 11, and he hasn’t returned any of your calls, you start to worry.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment!
Favourite part?
Improvements?