Evansville

Shaggy and Denny

Image

“No! NO! NOOOOO!” Shaggy yelled and shook his phone around. “You’re going to end up breaking that piece of shit one day.” Denny replied. Shaggy stared at his roommate for a second before throwing his phone onto his bed where it bounced out the window. “SHIIIIIIIT!” He yelled and rushed out their dorm room. “Hold on, why were you yelling at your phone?!” Denny followed his best friend down all the flights of stairs in their building to the main floor and out the door. Shaggy ignored Denny as he squeezed in between the two brick buildings and reached for his crappy old phone lying on the dead grass next to a few empty beer bottles some seniors had snuck in.

One problem with Evansville School for Troubled Youth is that it’s rather old, because when it was built there were no “shenanigans” going on between the boys and girls. Well, if there was, none of the school authorities noticed it. The eight dorms that litter the campus are right next to each other, so a male student could just climb out his window and into a female student’s window across from his.

“I’ve got it!” Shaggy yelled in triumph as he emerged from the small alleyway and started dancing around and kissing his phone. “Oof!” He said and turned around. Denny laughed out loud as Shaggy nearly knocked the girl over once again. “Oh! I’m sorry! Here, let me help you.” Shaggy bent down to help the girl with her books. “Are you new here?” The girl looked up at him with her light brown eyes as if she were searching his mind for an insult, and she could prepare to ignore him and rush into the dorm. Her brown bangs were swept across her forehead in a neat manner, and she had little eye makeup on. She was also thin, but not too thin because she had boobs that Denny couldn’t take his eyes off of. Of course Shaggy and Denny were both taller than her, as Shaggy noted when they both stood up as he handed her the books he had knocked out of her grasp. She was wearing shredded jeans with markings all over them and a white tank top that fit her form perfectly.

“Um, yeah.” She said and hugged her books close to her chest. Denny just stood there, staring at the girl. She may have looked like any ordinary girl to other boys, but to him she was stunning. Around the campus Denny had gotten the reputation as a “man whore” and “condom king” because he had dated so many girls and had an endless supply of condoms that he sold for five bucks each. A lot of the girls at Evansville definitely had a crush on him, he was as gorgeous as a Greek God one girl had said, and definitely performed like one in the bedroom. Yeah, he had used girls and he had also used drugs in the past. But that didn’t stop him from getting high every once in awhile when Gary, the senior next door to him and Shaggy, had something for him. Denny was a nickname for Dennison Lenny, the name his mother used when she was upset with her son. He was a tall, muscular “jock” type and played rugby for Evansville. Girls swooned over his dark grey eyes and black hair, and for, well, you know.

The girl raised an eyebrow at him and said, “Okay, what are you staring at? Is he retarded?” She turned her head in Shaggy’s direction. Shaggy barked out a laugh, “No, I think he’s smitten with you, though. I’m sorry; I didn’t catch your name.” The girl returned her gaze to Denny and he smiled at her, her American accent was adorable to him. Looks like she’s the first foreigner here, he thought, I’ve never dated and American girl before… “Snap out of it Den!” Shaggy waved a hand in his friends face. “Uh, I’m Cleo Janus. I, uh, I’m from New York City. Um, could you tell me where the women’s sophomore dorm is?” She asked. “Oh, right in front of you, sweetheart.” Denny pointed to the double doors in front of her, which were only a few feet away from the sophomore men’s dorm. Cleo gave him an apprehensive look before mumbling a quick thanks and heading towards the doors. “What’re your names again?” She stopped and turned around to face the two boys. “I’m Shaggy Hinks, and this is Dennison Lenny, aka Denny. If you need anyone to show you around tomorrow, just knock on our window.” Shaggy smiled. “How am I supposed to know—?” Cleo started before Denny held up his hand and said in a cocky tone, “Let me guess: your room is eight on the fifth floor? Yeah, ours is sixteen in the men’s dorm, and that room has been empty for months.” Cleo took a folded piece of paper out of her pocket and stared at it, then looked at Denny. “Um, yeah. Okay. Thanks again.” She said and walked inside the building.

“Well, well, well!” Shaggy laughed in Denny’s face, “Looks like Denny’s got the hots for yet another lass! C’mon, mate. Let’s get sumthin’ ta eat.” Denny shook his head and followed Shaggy to the dining hall.

+++

Three hours later Cleo had her dorm looking the way her room back home did, except she wasn’t allowed to put anything on the walls. The only thing on her wall was a large corkboard, so she pinned a few posters up there. There was a knock coming from the smallish window by her bed and a snicker. She sat on her bed and propped open the slightly dirty window. “Well, if it isn’t my new neighbors?” She smiled at the two boys. “Hullo!” Shaggy smiled a bright, toothy smile. “May we come in? We’d like to officially welcome our new friend!” Cleo shrugged and let them in. She couldn’t help but let her gaze linger on Denny’s backside as he climbed through. “Ah, well I see you’ve got the place all spruced up now, looks pretty nice.” Shaggy said as he observed the room. “So Cleo, tell us about yourself.” The two boys propped themselves on her floor and stared up at her on the bed. “Um, well…sex, drugs, alcohol, and rock ‘n roll.” She said bluntly. Shaggy’s eyes nearly popped out of his head, “Aren’t we just a wee bit truthful?” He smiled. Denny laughed. “What about you guys?” She asked.

“I ditched school a lot, graffiti places, and did alotta drugs.” Denny replied, and sat down next to Cleo on her bed. “And I’m just plain odd. My mum doesn’t understand that breaking and entering is a form of art, weed made me artistic, and sex made me feel good!” Shaggy practically yelled. Denny and Cleo laughed until their stomachs hurt, “Is he always like this?” Cleo asked while clutching her sides. “You don’t even know!” Denny gasped. “Want to know the best part about having you as our neighbor? We finally have a girl to watch dress and undress!” Shaggy added, which made all three of them start laughing all over again. “I’m tellin’ ya,” He went on, “Dennison here really has the hots for ya!” and punched Denny in the arm. “Do not, now shut it! We just met this girl today, and I certainly don’t want to scare her off!” Denny replied and tackled Shaggy to the floor.

“RAPE! RAPE! Help me; I’ve got a homosexual on my back!” Shaggy screeched like a girl, while Cleo once again had a laughing fit. All the while thinking of how she could actually deal with this boarding school thing. So far she had met two great people that could develop into great friendships. I don’t need to miss Drake; I have new friends, a new start. That’s all I need and I’m thankful. Maybe this time I can get on the right path. Maybe.
♠ ♠ ♠